Thread: Root access to my system

Default Root access to my system

Hi
    Not sure if this the right forum, but its sort of application related. I've just downloaded some add ons to a program called Celestia and these need adding to a folder called \opt\kde3\share\celestia. I can't add them in my normal user account - I get a message saying that I don't have permission. So I logged into my root account to move them and I get the same message. I assumed that I'd be able to do anything from root. So I'm a bit puzzled that I can't copy a file. So if I can't copy files from my root account, how would I do this ?

Thanks

Default Re: Root access to my system

If you are using the KDE desktop, simply press alt-f2 and type kdesu konqueror into the box. If using gnome I can't remember the command at the mo as I haven't used gnome in many years!

It will ask for the root password, enter that and konqueror should start up.

It looks like a web-browser, but it is also a file manager, you can figure it out I'm sure .

But be careful what you delete, you could stuff your entire system up!

Oh, and I think it didn't work because you used backslashes "\" in your example above, Linux and Unix use the forward slash "/" for FS navigation .
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

And try to get more info about usng root by reading: SDB:Login as root - openSUSE
    Henk van Velden

Brilliant - thanks, guys. This worked a treat. Opening a terminal session and typing "gnomesu nautilus" has given me everything I need.

also, there's no such thing as \opt\kde3\share\celestia - this is *not* Windows with its stupidity to use backslashes, it's like always walking with your butt upfront!

that'll be /opt/kde3/share/celestia