Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get compiz running

Default Re: Can't get compiz running

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Well, you could also just log in using icewm then navigate to your /home folder and delete your .config/compiz folder. Then just open CompizConfig Settings manager and redo all your compiz-fusion configurations. Then you can log in regularly.

Take Care,

Ian
    Thanks! That was it. I booted up on the save mode, and erased .config/compiz. When I logged back in KDE was back, and I'm getting some of the effects like the turning cube when I change desktops.

I also checked default applications and compiz was my windows manager.

Now what? None of the function keys seem to do anything. How do I know compiz is working?

Well, you can check by tweaking some of the options in the CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM). If it already isn't checked, add the desktop cube and try using 3-d windows. This will allow the windows to hover above the cube when rotating using the keyboard/mouse combination alt+ctrl+button 1 (left click). Or you can try switching the Application Switcher to the Shift Switcher to get the flip switch or cover switch. Try those. If there's a change when you change the settings then compiz is working properly.

You can find more information about how to utilize compiz-fusion from the compiz-fusion wiki here:

Welcome - Compiz Wiki

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Well, you can check by tweaking some of the options in the CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM). If it already isn't checked, add the desktop cube and try using 3-d windows. This will allow the windows to hover above the cube when rotating using the keyboard/mouse combination alt+ctrl+button 1 (left click). Or you can try switching the Application Switcher to the Shift Switcher to get the flip switch or cover switch. Try those. If there's a change when you change the settings then compiz is working properly.

You can find more information about how to utilize compiz-fusion from the compiz-fusion wiki here:

Welcome - Compiz Wiki

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Take Care,

Ian
    Thanks! Compiz is working, and stable.

I lost all my function keys tho. Page up and page down works, but the function keys do nothing. If I open up a terminal window, hitting the function keys don't cause any characters to appear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dougnc View Post
    Thanks! Compiz is working, and stable.

I lost all my function keys tho. Page up and page down works, but the function keys do nothing. If I open up a terminal window, hitting the function keys don't cause any characters to appear at all.
    It turns out it was in the keyboard driver. I have a Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard, which turns out to have an F-key which turns all the function keys into commands like "open".

Now I've used this keyboard for like 3 years, and never knew it had this key. It's always been used on Linux systems, so I never expected those keys to work.

Well, the driver seems to be looking for those commands, somehow. So as long as I turn the F-key on, the function keys seem to work.

This is a bug. There should be a driver for the older 4000 keyboards that came up with the F-key, and didn't have a status led, and another for the newer keyboards like mine.

JosephKK NNTP User

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:46:01 GMT, dougnc
    <dougnc@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >dougnc;2035459 Wrote:
    >> Thanks! Compiz is working, and stable.
    >>
    >> I lost all my function keys tho. Page up and page down works, but the
    >> function keys do nothing. If I open up a terminal window, hitting the
    >> function keys don't cause any characters to appear at all.

>
    >It turns out it was in the keyboard driver. I have a Microsoft Natural
    >4000 keyboard, which turns out to have an F-key which turns all the
    >function keys into commands like "open".
    >
    >Now I've used this keyboard for like 3 years, and never knew it had
    >this key. It's always been used on Linux systems, so I never expected
    >those keys to work.
    >
    >Well, the driver seems to be looking for those commands, somehow. So as
    >long as I turn the F-key on, the function keys seem to work.
    >
    >This is a bug. There should be a driver for the older 4000 keyboards
    >that came up with the F-key, and didn't have a status led, and another
    >for the newer keyboards like mine.

I consider it a manufacturers' bug. I have a similar issue with an
    older logitech that wakes up with out f-lock engaged. My newer one
    does, guess they learned from the previous generation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12