11.1 on a Powerbook G3

Hey all, I’ve inherited an old Powerbook G3, and I’m attempting to put 11.1 ppc on it, due to an irrational hatred of OSX, and I’ve run into some problems.

I’ve downloaded the 11.1 ppc DVD image, and burnt it under Windows XP, using ImgBurn, but I’m having trouble getting it to boot. I throw it into the DVD drive on the laptop, fire it up while holding down ‘C’, and nothing happens. It churns for a few moments, then pops up with the OSX startup screen. I’ve tried a startup while holding the ‘Option/Alt’ key, to show a list of bootable devices, and all that shows up is the Macintosh HD partition. Booting into the BootROM (cmd+option+o+f) and typing ‘cd:,\yaboot’ yields an ‘unknown word’.

To the best of my knowledge, the DVD drive is functioning (plays movies under OSX just fine), and I’ve done the burn twice at the slowest speed, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t a bad burn, so I’m sort of stumped.

System Specs:

New World Powerbook G3 ‘Pismo’ 400mhz
OSX 10.3.9
576mb RAM
2 drive partitions
-First is 20gb Journaled HFS+ which OSX is installed on
-Second is 8gb HFS+
LG DVD-ROM DRN-8080B dvd drive

There’s probably some big newbie step that I missed, due to the fact that I’m new to both Macs and Linux. Can anybody help me out?

You may find some help here: HOWTOs - openSUSE

I don’t have any knowledge of OSX
But you must be able to set the cd/dvd as boot device?

If you have any other Computers and can boot the dvd, run the media check from the menu.

Is there anything of help here:
Booting on PowerMac - openSUSE

Looking here, the G3 should be supported:
SDB : PPC : Which PowerPC computers are supported by SuSE Linux - openSUSE