Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

  1. #1

    Default Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    If I try installing Firefox x86_64 it does not work at all. If I instead install the i586 version everything works fine. I do not mind but I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bochum, Germany
    Posts
    3,587

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    * eldiener wrote, On 08/30/2009 05:26 PM:
    > If I try installing Firefox x86_64 it does not work at all. If I instead
    > install the i586 version everything works fine. I do not mind but I am
    > curious if anyone else has run into this problem.


    Works fine here on a few machines. Here's what I'd do:

    - use the Mozilla repo in order to get the most recent version of Firefox
    - start firefox from within a console to see if it throws any errors on the command line
    - if you already have a .mozilla folder in your home director, rename it to start from scratch

    Uwe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Dare we mention the blatantly obvious: You would need to be using a _64 machine and OS.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Quote Originally Posted by buckesfeld View Post
    * eldiener wrote, On 08/30/2009 05:26 PM:
    > If I try installing Firefox x86_64 it does not work at all. If I instead
    > install the i586 version everything works fine. I do not mind but I am
    > curious if anyone else has run into this problem.


    Works fine here on a few machines. Here's what I'd do:

    - use the Mozilla repo in order to get the most recent version of Firefox
    - start firefox from within a console to see if it throws any errors on the command line
    - if you already have a .mozilla folder in your home director, rename it to start from scratch

    Uwe
    In the x86_64 version Firefox starts fine with no errors either from the desktop or console. Once it comes up on the screen nothing shows in the main window for any given URL. It is just not showing any web pages.

    In the 586 version everything works fine.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Dare we mention the blatantly obvious: You would need to be using a _64 machine and OS.
    I am on a 64-bit machine running OS 11.1 64-bit version.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Have you actually both versions installed at the same time? Or are you removing one to try the other?

    Have you tried a rename of .mozilla
    Just to see if there is something in the config throwing things out? Re-name it .mozilla_old
    You can delete the new one and re-name the old one back if it checks out ok.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Sorry I just notice Uwe already suggested the re-name. Did you try it?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  8. #8

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Have you actually both versions installed at the same time? Or are you removing one to try the other?

    Have you tried a rename of .mozilla
    Just to see if there is something in the config throwing things out? Re-name it .mozilla_old
    You can delete the new one and re-name the old one back if it checks out ok.
    No, I do not have both versions installed at the same time. I uninstall one before I try to install the other. I also rename the .mozilla folder each time before I try an install.

    It's weird that the x86_64 version does not work but the i586 works fine. But at least one of them works <g> ! In both cases the same result occurs whether I am running the 3.0.x from the main OS 11.1 repositories or choosing the 3.5.2 from the OS 11.1 Mozilla repository.

    I have been using Smart to make changes rather than Yast. Maybe Smart did something wrong with dependencies but then I would expect the x86_64 version not to start at all.

    I will try any other suggestions, but I am not going to worry too much about it as long as the i586 version works.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,734
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Uninstall both.
    Then dothis in a su terminal:

    Code:
    zypper in MozillaFirefox
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10

    Default Re: Firefox in OS 11.1 x86_64 system

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Uninstall both.
    Then dothis in a su terminal:

    Code:
    zypper in MozillaFirefox
    Same result as before. No web page will show in the Firefox 3.5.2 x86_64 version. The i586 version continues to work fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •