Older ALSA driver? How do I get back by 1 month?

I accidentally updated my alsa-driver today, and now things don’t work anymore. How do I get back to the previous version?

The current version is
1.0.20-git20090827

The first version that worked was
1.0.20-git20090806

So how do I get back to the above one?

The bug report, after being marked as RESOLVED, also lists the following:

According to Update released for: kernel-debug, kernel-debug-base, kernel-debug-debuginfo,
kernel-debug-debugsource, kernel-debug-extra, kernel-default,
kernel-default-base, kernel-default-debuginfo, kernel-default-debugsource,
kernel-default-extra, kernel-docs, kernel-ec2, kernel-ec2-base,
kernel-ec2-debuginfo, kernel-ec2-debugsource, kernel-ec2-extra, kernel-kdump,
kernel-kdump-debuginfo, kernel-kdump-debugsource, kernel-pae, kernel-pae-base,
kernel-pae-debuginfo, kernel-pae-debugsource, kernel-pae-extra, kernel-ppc64,
kernel-ppc64-base, kernel-ppc64-debuginfo, kernel-ppc64-debugsource,
kernel-ppc64-extra, kernel-ps3, kernel-ps3-debuginfo, kernel-ps3-debugsource,
kernel-source, kernel-source-debuginfo, kernel-syms, kernel-trace,
kernel-trace-base, kernel-trace-debuginfo, kernel-trace-debugsource,
kernel-trace-extra, kernel-vanilla, kernel-vanilla-debuginfo,
kernel-vanilla-debugsource, kernel-xen, kernel-xen-base, kernel-xen-debuginfo,
kernel-xen-debugsource, kernel-xen-extra
Products:
openSUSE 11.1 (debug, i586, ppc, x86_64)

Does this mean that the updated driver is now available in the normal update repositories? However, if I click on “versions” in YAST-SoftwareUpdate, I only see today’s buggy version.

If I disable the audio-update repository ("/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/"), and only keep “/update/11.1/”, the packet “alsa-driver-kmp-default” is not found at all. :frowning:

I do not know of anyone who keeps the old versions.

But if the new one does not work, write a bug report on it. Those rpms are packaged by the openSUSE alsa packager, who is also an alsa developer, and they will likely respond very quickly to anything that is broken, providing an immediate/appropriate fix. Be certain to raise the bug report against component sound. There is guidance here for raising bug reports: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE

To update the alsa user space, did you follow the guidance here to send 6 zypper commands (and not just 3): Alsa-update - openSUSE

Did you also try the daily alsa snapshots (and send 6 zypper commands (and not just 3) to update to the daily snapshots): Alsa-update-snapshot - openSUSE

Note the directory structure changed around 4 to 6 weeks ago (or maybe less than that - I have lost touch with the detailed time).

If you provide the output of:
rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
I can make an assessment if your alsa packages as installed are inconsistent

I just reopened the old bug report, that had led to the fix in git1.0.20-git20090806 thanks to Takashi Iwai. :slight_smile: (Or should I have started a new bug report?)

However, I am quite puzzled what those automatic replies from “Swamp Workflow Management” to the original bug report mean (cited in my first post), after the bug was resolved. I thought this meant that the patch had moved into the normal updates?!

I never issued zypper commands. I only added repositories using YAST. I just forgot to disable /repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update once the problem got fixed.

@mara:~> rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.18-6.12
java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u15-0.1.1
alsa-driver-doc-1.0.20.20090828-3.1
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-6.13
alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
java-1_5_0-sun-alsa-1.5.0_update20-0.1.1
alsa-1.0.18-8.12.1
alsa-tools-1.0.18-1.16
alsa-oss-1.0.17-1.43
alsa-firmware-1.0.17-1.42
alsa-driver-kmp-default-1.0.20.20090828_2.6.27.29_0.1-3.1
bluez-alsa-4.22-6.1.10
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-584.91
alsa-tools-gui-1.0.18-1.16
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-1.37
alsa-docs-1.0.18-8.12.1
@mara:~> rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.18-8.12.1
@mara:~> uname -a
Linux mara 2.6.27.29-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-08-15 17:53:59 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
@mara:~>

IMHO that could be missed. Its far better I think to open a new bug report.

arrgggg… this drives me up the wall. Literally. So many users do not remove these extra repos after installing apps. … it then breaks something in their system later … >:( >:(

IMHO this is wrong.

I’m not surprised your sound does not work.

I think if you follow this page to update your alsa user space: Alsa-update - openSUSE
sending the six zypper commands specific to your openSUSE version (of which 3 are specific to the kernel version). Note there are six commands, not 3.

Then reboot, and test your sound.

If that does not work, then try the daily snapshots: Alsa-update-snapshot - openSUSE Again, sending the six zypper commands specific to your openSUSE version (of which 3 are specific to the kernel version). Note there are six commands, not 3.

Its possible the last 3 will tell you the application is already install. Send all 3 anyway. Then reboot and test your sound.

I issued the 6 (not 3) commands and unsurprisingly the the middle one among the last 3 told me that the driver is already installed and up to date.

I did not change anything. Note that my sound is working fine in general, it is just the built-in digital mic that broke once more.

Well, Takeshi Iwai told me to add the multimedia:audio:KMP repository and required me update every other day and report back to him, which I did during the last month.

But yes, I do apologize for not disabling the repository after Takeshi had kindly fixed the driver for my hardware last week. That was stupid of me, sorry. :shame:

However, maybe this was a good thing, if the driver is indeed broken again, for otherwise the change might have gone unnoticed? Well, in any case, he has noted the reopening of the bug already and I am sending alsa-info outputs again, as usual. :slight_smile:

ok, … well he’s the man. Perhaps you could have mentioned that in your first post?

It would have saved me making a recommendation.

Well, I thought the whole things was finished by now and hoped that there was an easy way to get back to the working driver without bothering him again, especially since the bug report included that message that “An Update has now been released”. I really wonder what that meant. I hoped that this meant that the snapshot at that time (which was working) would be available in some other repository. There are so many, that I am confused which one could provide it, but I did not find any. (Or don’t I need “alsa-driver-kmp-default” anymore?) So I hoped that some simple advice could fix this.

So I thought posting here would be better than reopening the bug support. Sorry. :frowning: