Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

  1. #1

    Default Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    My husband is really shaping up to being a openSUSE user lately, but one thing he wants on his computer is a Ubuntu like sudo.
    I know its possible to do, and I have read some guides on it but I need something he might understand.
    He likes openSUSE because he thinks it feels more at home for him, but he likes the sudo system set up on Ubuntu.
    I have seen the settings for it but he wants to do this on his own.
    Is there a simplistic guide on the matter, something to help him make sure all admin apps use sudo as opposed to su and root?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraIkeda View Post
    something to help him make sure all admin apps use sudo as opposed to su and root?
    I will not interfere with answers to your real question, but you seem to have a misconception here, that, if solved, might give you a better understanding to both your question and to the answers that may come (we hope).

    All admin tasks must be done by user root (or being root, as it is often called). There are several ways to become root like su, sudo , kdesu, ... All they do is changing the userid to the userid of root.

    So root is not not something in the same range as su or sudo. root is a username, like other usernames in your system (but with a lot of power). The others are tools to change from the username you are loged in with to another username (not neseccaraly to root, it may be any username).

    You may like to read SDB:Login as root - openSUSE for more information. Also the man pages of su and sudo might be usefull.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    If you are using YaST, you only have to enter the superuser password at the beginning.

    If you are using CLI, you can modify /etc/sudoers to the Ubuntu scheme, where the password of the invoker, not the target, is wanted. You probably want to limit this capability to members of the group "wheel" or "admin" depending. I leave the research on what to do to /etc/sudoers to you. It doesn't require a special sudo, the standard one is flexible enough to be configured that way.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    hes just asking because he is not so good with remembering a lot of passwords, currently he has both a admin password and his own password but he wants both his admin apps and his main password to be the same a la Ubuntu.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    Though it is a very bad idea to have the same password for both, the fact that everybody can make his own password makes that I do not see how I can prevent him from doing so.

    Does this mean that he nor you know how to change a password?
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Though it is a very bad idea to have the same password for both, the fact that everybody can make his own password makes that I do not see how I can prevent him from doing so.

    Does this mean that he nor you know how to change a password?
    Nono, its not like we dont know how to change the password.
    He just has issues with using both a admin password and a main user password, he is just getting into the two main password process.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    To put it another way, there is no problem making openSUSE use sudo in the way Ubuntu does. openSUSE just has more options for entering commands as root.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    Quote Originally Posted by TaraIkeda View Post
    Nono, its not like we dont know how to change the password.
    He just has issues with using both a admin password and a main user password, he is just getting into the two main password process.
    Sorry I stiill do not get it. When he can not remember more then one password, just make the two passwords the same. Then whichever password is asked for, there can only be one answer.

    (I hope nobody reads that I am helping somebody using the same password for root as for a normal user, I should be ashamed of myself )

    And btw, I do not know Ubuntu, but I doubt that you can not use sudo in openSUSE the same way as in Ubuntu (or in every other Unix/Linux).
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Sorry I stiill do not get it. When he can not remember more then one password, just make the two passwords the same. Then whichever password is asked for, there can only be one answer.

    (I hope nobody reads that I am helping somebody using the same password for root as for a normal user, I should be ashamed of myself )

    And btw, I do not know Ubuntu, but I doubt that you can not use sudo in openSUSE the same way as in Ubuntu (or in every other Unix/Linux).
    He just spotted the "sudo" option in YaST, so he was curious on what it was.
    I told him its what Ubuntu uses and it got his interest.

    Speaking of passwords, he is having issues with changing his password in KDE 4.3
    He seems to really like it but the "about me" section in the control center seems to no longer offer password or user icon settings.
    I tried to tweak it via login manager, usually if i go into the "users" tab and select "user" as the user image source it makes systemsettings be able to have the change password and icon feature, but no matter what i try every time only "paths" is available.
    He cant change his user icon or his password in KDE 4.3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,761

    Default Re: Make openSUSE have Ubuntu like sudo

    I have openSUSE 10.3 and KDE 3.5 running, so better answers might come from others. But when I want to change my password I use the passwd command from the CLI. I live a bit in a different world from you I think
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •