Java Sort of Works

I have to make this quick. I need to head out in a few minutes.

Basically I am having this problem.

*Java worked on some sites and not others, they kept telling me I needed to install the plug in.

*I installed the plug in

*Now instead of telling me that I need to install it I get a blank area where the java is suppose to be.

I vaguely remember reading something here with someone else having the same problem. I think it was a conflict of some sort?

If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix this please let me know.

I have the same thing happening in Chrome and Firefox.

I had to remove the jdk and install Sun Java
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

same for me - installing the sun version of java works fine:-

Index of /factory/repo/non-oss/suse

the 64 bit version works fine too

This is a good site to test your java install:-

Java Tester - What Version of Java Are You Running?

Same problem here. But the HOWTO is a little bit too short for me (SuSE-11.1 32bit). If I understand it right, I have to

• uninstall java-1_6_0-openjdk
  • uninstall java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin
  • install java-1_6_0-sun
  • install java-1_6_0-sun-plugin

Anything else? I have not updated java yet. Shall I install the new versions from the update repo straight away?

Once you install java from sun all you have to do is create the symlink into the browser-plugin directory to let your web browsers use the java plugin. For Konqueror you have to direct konqueror to the java.bin file.

For 32bit:

Installing 32-bit Java the Yast way - openSUSE Forums

If the directory in my how-to doesn’t exist, scroll down further to see where you can find the symlink location.

For konqueror just point it to /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/jre/bin/java

Take Care,

Ian

See my screen earlier

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just got home and I will be working on this shortly. I will post the results.

I became a bit busy and forgot to reply to this thread. Yeah one of those weeks. Anyways I followed the instructions here, very easy, and Java works great now.

Thank you.

Good to know we all helped out:)