Thread: okular opens dvi instaed of pdf

Default okular opens dvi instaed of pdf

Hi,

one question on the behavior of okular. From a LaTeX-process, along with dvips and ps2pdf, I obtain the files foo.dvi and foo.pdf. Opening the latter with
    Code:
    okular foo.pdf
    opens the dvi-file. If I delete the dvi, the shown command opens foo.pdf, but this is certainly not the way to handle things permanently.

How can I convince okular to open foo.pdf, as long as foo.dvi lives in the same folder?

Regards,
    Konstantin

Default Re: okular opens dvi instaed of pdf

You could try Configure Desktop>Advanced>File Associations and remove the association between Okular and dvi files, possibly by replacing it with xdvi.

Blog Entries

I think the name displayed in the okular titlebar is misleading you. It actually shows the filename that the PDF file is derived from.

I just tried it with a PDF file that I generate from DVI via Postscript and it also displayed something.dvi. However even when I delete something.dvi it still displayed this titlebar. So I conclude that it is displaying one of the PDF file properties.

Look at the properties of the PDF file with:

Code:
    pdftk <yourfile>.pdf dump_data output -
    and it will become obvious. Naturally substitute your filename for <yourfile>.

Thanks,

that solved the problem, aka resolved my confusion. Okular was opening everything correctly, just the title of the pdf was misleadingly "foo.dvi" -- which is of course my fault, or the one of my ps2pdf process.

Thanks,
    Konstantin