Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer emachines G725 hw problems :(

Default Acer emachines G725 hw problems :(

So I bought this model.But when I installed suse 11.1 on it, I got the first surprise...wireless not working, not even ethernet. So I went to yast and exported hardware info and cut out the section of the ethernet card
    Code:
    31: PCI 500.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
      [Created at pci.318]
      UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1969_1062
      Unique ID: Ddhb.P5A3cmVHaIF
      Parent ID: hoOk.ABTEjCxdYN4
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:05:00.0
      SysFS BusID: 0000:05:00.0
      Hardware Class: network
      Model: "Attansic Ethernet controller"
      Vendor: pci 0x1969 "Attansic Technology Corp."
      Device: pci 0x1062 
      SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
      SubDevice: pci 0x0210 
      Revision: 0xc0
      Memory Range: 0xd3500000-0xd353ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      I/O Ports: 0x1000-0x2fff (rw)
      IRQ: 11 (no events)
      Module Alias: "pci:v00001969d00001062sv00001025sd00000210bc02sc00i00"
      Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #20 (PCI bridge)
    Here is also output from lspci command
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0)
    I think the network card may work in newer kernel (because it worked in the store but on another distro), currently from the install dvd I have 2.6.27.7-9 and maybe upgrading it to 2.6.27.29-0.1 could help, but since I have no network the only way to transfer files is via usb. Could please someone tell me how to manualy download this kernel und install it just like yast via auto update does. Thanks for your help.

goldie NNTP User

Default Re: Acer emachines G725 hw problems :(

have you looked at:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/network-i...less-work.html
    http://forums.opensuse.org/network-i...d-do-next.html

i'd suggest you work your way though those and if you don't find
    happiness post your next question to
    http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/wireless/

--
    goldie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arcull View Post
    I think the network card may work in newer kernel (because it worked in the store but on another distro), currently from the install dvd I have 2.6.27.7-9 and maybe upgrading it to 2.6.27.29-0.1 could help, but since I have no network the only way to transfer files is via usb. Could please someone tell me how to manualy download this kernel und install it just like yast via auto update does. Thanks for your help.
    Its unlikely IMHO the the difference between 2.6.27.7-9 and 2.6.27.29-0.1 is enough to sort your network card problems.

IMHO you have two solutions:
    a. install a non-official kernel (which requires average to advanced knowledge), or
    b. install openSUSE-11.2 milestone-6, which is not ready for general release, and is a bit buggy, BUT its got the latest and greatest kernel, and there is no messing around trying to learn how to install a new kernel.

In either case (a or b) I think you are looking at re-installing openSUSE-11.2 GM version in Nov-2009.

But 11.2 milestone-6 is not bad. It does not have the 3rd party support yet, that 11.1 has ... but dependant on your requirement, you may be able to make due

... or a 3rd non-openSUSE solution, you could for the time being, installing the other distribution you tested the laptop with, and then in Nov-2009 install openSUSE-11.2 GM version.

Read elsewhere that the nics are supported in 11.2.
    Going with Oldcpu's verdict, depending on how much you love suse, I would go with option 1 and roll my own kernel.
    As long as you read the docs, it's not so hard and I'm sure you'll get help here.
    Another solution is to get an old pcmcia network card and use that as an interim measure. (You may even find one going cheap somewhere.)

Default Acer G725 laptop problems with broadcom 4312

looks like your main concern is the wireless does not work;
    seems like you have a Broadcom:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    as I understand it, you should check if it has the identity

14e4:4315
    to find this out larry finger says

My wireless doesn't work - a primer on what I should do next - openSUSE Forums

to type in the command

/sbin/lspci -n
    if it has the identity 14e4:4315, larry finger says

Devices with PCI ID's of 14e4:4315 are not supported by the built-in driver b43. You need to enable the Packman repo and install the broadcom-wl package that matches your kernel.
    in this page

Wireless not working (BCM4312) - openSUSE Forums

in post #5, larry finger gives detailed instructions on what to;

Thanks guys, I'll work on this when I get home. The main problem is that none of connections works, not wired neither wireless. I'll try suse 11.2 live cd with kde to see if its any better in network detection. I'll report back, thanks

Hi, I've just tried suse 11.2 milestone 6 kde live cd, and everything about hardware looks like working super on this laptop (wired network, wireless, sound)...so I'm leaning towards installing it. I don't mind if something crashes from time to time, since this laptop is for my personal usage, and maybe I can contribute something to Call for testers this way, however there is something that bothers me...where will I find 11.2 compatible applications until official release is out? I'll need for instance NetBeans, NXClient,Skype,..Does that mean, that I'll have to compile everything from source, or can I maybe use some of applications ment for 11.1 for instance from packman of from open suse build service. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

...however there is something that bothers me...where will I find 11.2 compatible applications until official release is out? I'll need for instance NetBeans, NXClient,Skype,..Does that mean, that I'll have to compile everything from source, or can I maybe use some of applications ment for 11.1 for instance from packman of from open suse build service. Thanks again.
    Thats the problem ... 3rd party apps have not been built for it yet. You may find some openSUSE-11.1 apps will work. And many will not. I had some 11.1 packman apps running on my 11.2 milestone-4 (I still need to install milestone-6). But many Packman 11.1 packaged apps would not run on 11.2 milestone-4. Its very much hit and miss.

That was why the recommendation of whych to install 11.1 and then update its kernel was made. You can use pre-built kernels. Figure out what kernel you need, and see if someone has build a kernel for 11.1 . You can use web pin to search for kernels ... Webpin ... DON'T install by one-click (that is plain silly for a non-stock kernel). If you find one, then in which case, after taking some precautioins first, you can install the new kernel (while keeping the old) with "rpm -ivh <kernel-app1><kernel-app2><kernel-app3><kernel-app4> ... etc ... " and then check your /boot/grub/menu.lst to confirm, but likely you will have a dual boot to either kernel version. Note that is "rpm -ivh" and NOT "rpm -Uvh" . The difference IS significant.

You may then need to custom compile your video, audio, webcam, and wireless driver. But that may be easier than custom compliing dozens of apps for 11.2.

Still, 11.2 GM is only 3 months away. Within a month or so, the 3rd party apps for 11.2 will start showing up. So the 11.2 milestone-6 idea is a viable approach, albeit it will be buggy.

I take it you can't wait 3 months ?

As suggested I tried to download some precompiled kernels for 11.1 like kernel-default-2.6.31-rc7.44.1.i586.rpm, but after successful install I just couldn't boot into them, I was left with no X, just a black screen, maybe I did something wrong, don't know, however I see trying to move to 11.2 a better option in my case, since I don't need much 3rd party apps.But one more question still...when final version of 11.2 comes out, will I be able to upgrade mileston 6 relatively easy, or will I have to reinstall the whole system again to get the final version? Thanks again.
    I take it you can't wait 3 months
    that's true

Blog Entries

As suggested I tried to download some precompiled kernels for 11.1 like kernel-default-2.6.31-rc7.44.1.i586.rpm, but after successful install I just couldn't boot into them, I was left with no X, just a black screen,
    This is actually likely easy to address, but it will stump a new user. All it means is your graphic driver does not support the 2.6.31-rc7 kernel, and you have to build a new one for it (or use the vesa driver, which might work). Of course once you build the new driver and you modify the config files for the new kernel, you won't be able to boot to the old kernel.

however I see trying to move to 11.2 a better option in my case, since I don't need much 3rd party apps.But one more question still...when final version of 11.2 comes out, will I be able to upgrade mileston 6 relatively easy, or will I have to reinstall the whole system again to get the final version?
    I always recommend updating. You could keep the /home directory, but you probably should re-install / .... You might be able to get away with an update, but when something stops working you will always wonder,... was it because you did an update as opposed to a fresh install ?

Plus if you put 11.1 apps on milestone-6 to get some increased functionality, that may mess up things when the 11.2 app equivalents are finally available.

Milestone-6 is just that. Its milestone-6. That means there could be things wrong and there is no guarantee that an update to GM, when GM comes out, will pick up everything.

Milestone6 is NOT intended for every day use. Its intended for testing.

I understand why you want to use it, but that does not change the fact that milestone-6 is intended for testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast