Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDENlive from Packman?

Unhappy KDENlive from Packman?

Wow! KDENlive sure looks amazing - truly professional quality - and I really need these capabilities - but I installed from Pacman and it didn't work at all. During troubleshooting, it looks like you have to separately install MLT, which I then did, but now when I start it up a dialog box appears:

Cannot find the melt program required for rendering (part of Mlt)

I tried navigating to several of the .so files in the /usr/lib64 directory (openSuSE 11.1), but it didn't like them. Shouldn't YaST have installed and linked all libraries?

I build bacula, apcpusd, and a few others for repos, and sometimes there's trouble with the x64 library locations - maybe that's the case here? In that case, this may be a bug report?

Please Help!
    Thanks!
    Patti

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDENlive from Packman?

If it's necessary to run KDENlive to have mlt Yast should. And when I install kde4-KDENlive it installs libmlt1 and libmlt++2

It now asks me for the place of the mlt Profiles, if I keep that your question comes about the melt program. So I perform a search in the Software installer for 'melt' with all options checked and it gives 'mlt' as a result. Installed 'mlt' and restarted KDENlive, it now gives me the welcome screen. It finds all required parts and codecs installed in the next screen, does the additional info, the system check, I click finish and am confronted with a good looking interface..

You're right, the packagers should set 'mlt' as a requirement. Install it, and your KDENlive will start. I haven't used the latest versions, will try it out now that you drew my attention.

So just install 'mlt'.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Supporting what Knurpht stated, the packager of kdenlive sent me this in an email some time back:

The actual package is missing a direct dependency to mlt package (kdenlive needs /usr/bin/melt at runtime). So if someone gets the error message: "... cannot find melt programm ..." the solution is to install the package mlt-0.4.2 (PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket mlt) manually.

I had the same problem and the solution posted of instaling milt worked fine.

Red face Re: KDENlive from Packman?

Wow, thanks!!! Somehow mlt++-unstable and mlt-unstable had gotten installed, so when I installed the mlt version everyone suggested, YaST offered to uninstall those, which I did. Now KDENlive starts OK except for a missing "QImage module" - it looks like that is part of MLT, so maybe that error is normal?

Exclamation Re: KDENlive from Packman?

WOW!!! That KDEnlive is a thing of beauty - what an amazing setup. I especially love the video tutorials - I seriously need to contribute to this project. It blows the gloves off Elements (again, wow!)

Actually, since this thread is here.... Is there a way to ask the packager to make kdenlive 0,7.5 available for suse 11.1? It's been out for a while. I tried to build it from source, but doing that is a bit non-standard (not configure, make, make install), and I gave up after a short attempt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    Actually, since this thread is here.... Is there a way to ask the packager to make kdenlive 0,7.5 available for suse 11.1? It's been out for a while. I tried to build it from source, but doing that is a bit non-standard (not configure, make, make install), and I gave up after a short attempt.
    I tried as well, but I struggled. 0.7.5 needs a newer version of MLT, and that (newer MLT version) is not so easy to build. It least it was difficult for me.

I think the packager (who goes by handle oc2pus on this forum) , who nominally packages many openSUSE applications, has been taking a break from packaging openSUSE rpms for a while, as I have not seen any recent packages packaged by him. He has not responded to any of my emails (where I volunteered to test 0.7.5 when he finally gets around to packaging it), which suggests to me he is taking a "vacation" from packaging. In the past he has responded immediately.

I think as keen users (who really like kdenlive) we can just monitor this for a while, and then maybe if it goes much longer, ask on the #packman IRC channel as to the status of packages packaged by user oc2pus (he nominally goes by his proper name, as opposed to that handle, where his name is listed on the Packman site).

The availability of kdenlive for openSUSE-11.2 will be a possible blocking item for me ... ie I will not migrate my main PC to 11.2 GM (in November-2009) unless kdenlive packaged for 11.2 is available.

Packman already knows: [packman] kdenlive 0.7.5 is out
    I suppose most of them are in the beach for August ;-)

MLT just requires of the classic autotools system: ./configure && make && make install, and kdenlive itself uses cmake, the standard KDE4 system.

The OBS isn't in its best state right now and the build could take some time, but home:RedDwarf:multimedia has MLT 0.4.4 and home:RedDwarf:KDE:Factory has kdenlive 0.7.5. Note that kdenlive is built against KDE:KDE4:Desktop:Factory (KDE 4.3), it could or could not work on the default KDE 4.1.3 from openSUSE 11.1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    Packman already knows: [packman] kdenlive 0.7.5 is out
    I suppose most of them are in the beach for August ;-)

MLT just requires of the classic autotools system: ./configure && make && make install, and kdenlive itself uses cmake, the standard KDE4 system.

The OBS isn't in its best state right now and the build could take some time, but home:RedDwarf:multimedia has MLT 0.4.4 and home:RedDwarf:KDE:Factory has kdenlive 0.7.5. Note that kdenlive is built against KDE:KDE4esktop:Factory (KDE 4.3), it could or could not work on the default KDE 4.1.3 from openSUSE 11.1.
    Thanks, I gave this a test on my sandbox PC (not that it needed a test, ... but I was curious). My sandbox PC is rather slow - an athlon-1100 with 1GB RAM and a nVidia FX5200, with KDE-4.3 on openSUSE-11.1 in the test partition.

I removed the Packman kde4-kdenlive and installed kdenlive and the mlt, libmlt1, and libmlt++2 from your repos (I used Smart Package Manager as opposed to zypper but that should make no difference):
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/RedDwarf:/multimedia:/KDE:/Factory/openSUSE_11.1/
    Installation went well, and I was able to import some video files and create/render to a small output clip.

Although the test was limited, the kdenlive-0.75 you built appears to work well on that PC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast