Thread: Acer Aspire 5738Z & opensuse

phoenix1989 NNTP User

Default Acer Aspire 5738Z & opensuse

Dear Linux Friend's,
    I've got a new acer aspire 5738z a couple day's ago with windows vista home premium and like to make a dual boot with these 2 O.S.
    I've tryed to install the latest download version but with no success. my laptop load's the kernel and after the 100% loading i just get a black screen and no mouse/keyboard responce. i make this several times and get always the same result.
    i've installed the same version already at one acer aspire 5672 wlmi and 2 desktop computers and had no problems with the installation.
    on the new laptop i've not tryed yet to install an another linux distro because i just love suse and would like to keep this one.
    any help ? did some other guy had similar problems and have found a solution?
    Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Acer Aspire 5738Z & opensuse

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1989 View Post
    I've tryed to install the latest download version but with no success. my laptop load's the kernel and after the 100% loading i just get a black screen and no mouse/keyboard responce. i make this several times and get always the same result.
    i've installed the same version already at one acer aspire 5672 wlmi and 2 desktop computers and had no problems with the installation.
    Did you try the fail safe mode? VESA installation ? Text installation?

You note "same version already at one acer aspire 5672 wlmi and 2 desktop computers" .... Assuming you used the same CD/DVD to install openSUSE on those computers, is the age of the CD/DVD readers on those computers siginficantly different from that on your Acer Aspire 5738Z?

Last November/December, I found a CD (and DVD) burned on a 5-year old burner, would not work on my brand new Dell Studio 1537 laptop (even though it passed the media check) but the same CD (and DVD) worked on a PC of the approximate same vintage as the 5-year old burner. But I burned an openSUSE-11.1 CD (and later DVD) from a PC with a brand new burner, and it worked fine on the Dell Studio 1537 laptop.

In all cases I used the same media, and the slowest speed possible to burn the media.

That taught me there can be calibration differences between CD/DVD burners/readers, where age differences appears to be a factor that goes together with the calibration differences.

goldie NNTP User

Default Re: Acer Aspire 5738Z & opensuse

>a couple day's ago with windows vista
    > home premium and like to make a dual boot with these 2 O.S.
    > I've tryed to install the latest download version

did you make sure your install disk was 100% perfect?
    see: http://tinyurl.com/6jwtg9
    and follow ALL advice there..

> my laptop load's the kernel and after the 100% loading i just get a
    > black screen and no mouse/keyboard responce. i make this several times
    > and get always the same result.

do you mean AFTER installing from a DVD it gives a black screen, OR
    when you try to boot the Live CD it never gets past the black screen..

> any help ?

in the last year there have been over 50 of threads here with "black
    screen" in the subject line...

see: http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php?searchid=1206710

most are due to problems with graphics....what do you have ATI, nVidia
    or Intel...read a couple dozen threads relating to black screen with
    your graphic card and then ask more questions if you need to..

> I've got a new acer aspire 5738z
    > did some other guy had similar problems and have found a
    > solution?

there is no 5378 on this page: http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Laptops/Acer
    when you are done, log your in and your experience,,

--
    goldie