Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't get videos to play using Flash

Default Can't get videos to play using Flash

Hello. I'm using SuSE 11.0 and would greatly appreciate if anyone can help with a solution to why I can no longer play the videos on this website.

2009 Referee Week in Review - Week 20 - U.S. Soccer

The site was recently redesigned. Previously I was able to scroll down the page and play the videos using Flash.

But now Flash won't work in either Firefox or Konqui to play the videos. (Note, however, that videos on other websites such as cnn.com do play in Flash, so it's a mystery beyond my level of understanding.)

On this website with Firefox I get a message superimposed over the screenshots that says "video available soon." Clicking on the video does nothing.

With Konqui I get a message that says "you need Adobe Flash Player version 9.0.115." Again, clicking on the screenshots does nothing.

So I looked in the package manager to see what versions of Flash and Flash Player I have installed.

It shows for Flash Player v. 9.0.246.0-0.1-i586 (installed)
    and for Flash Plug-In v. 10.0.32.18-release-i386 (installed)
    and for libflashsupport v. 000-67.1-i586.

I have refreshed the repositories and tried to update everything Flash -- all without making any difference.

I also looked in about: plugins in Firefox and found:

File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

I also went to the Adobe website:
    Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

and found Flash Player v. 10.0.32.18. I selected the rpm version for Linux, downloaded it, and installed (or so I thought).

None of this made any difference. The new v. 10.0.32.18 that I downloaded and supposedly installed from the rpm doesn't show up in the package manager. It still shows as v 9.0.246.0-0.1-i586.

Note also that disabling Adblock Plus makes no difference (and it was always enabled in the past).

Despite everything I've tried I can't play the videos in either Firefox or Konqui.

Any ideas? I REALLY need to be able to view the videos from this website.

Thanks!
    socref

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't get videos to play using Flash

Quote Originally Posted by socref View Post
    So I looked in the package manager to see what versions of Flash and Flash Player I have installed.

It shows for Flash Player v. 9.0.246.0-0.1-i586 (installed)
    and for Flash Plug-In v. 10.0.32.18-release-i386 (installed)
    and for libflashsupport v. 000-67.1-i586.
    I can play the videos with firefox and flash-player and the depreciated mplayerplug-in. What happens if you remove libflashsupport?

Blog Entries

The new v. 10.0.32.18 that I downloaded and supposedly installed from the rpm doesn't show up in the package manager. It still shows as v 9.0.246.0-0.1-i586.
    That doesn't make sence to me. How are have you installed these flash-player versions in the past? Always by rpm command? or did you install any via tarballs?

What is the output of:
    rpm -qa | grep flash

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    That doesn't make sence to me. How are have you installed these flash-player versions in the past? Always by rpm command? or did you install any via tarballs?

What is the output of:
    rpm -qa | grep flash
    Except for the one rpm I referenced in the original post I have installed everything via the package manager. The only reason I tried installing the rpm is that the rpm version is newer than anything I can get using the package manager.

Here's the output you requested:

gil@phred:~> rpm -qa | grep flash
    flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release
    libflashsupport-000-67.1
    flash-player-9.0.246.0-0.1
    gil@phred:~>

Thx!

Blog Entries

Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I can play the videos with firefox and flash-player and the depreciated mplayerplug-in. What happens if you remove libflashsupport?
    Makes no difference.
    socref

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post

I followed the instructions from the first link you provided. I already had the version of flash-player referenced. On completion of the instructions it made no difference.

The second link is for SuSE 11.1, but I'm using 11.0. So I'm assuming (?) those instructions don't apply to my situation.

Thanks for the suggestions, but still not able to play in either Firefox or Konqui.

socref

Default Interesting new info: Can't get videos to play using Flash

This is really interesting.

Just for the heck of it I tried Opera (which I never use). The videos **do** play in Opera. But still they won't play in Firefox or Konqui.

So, gurus, what is it that allows Flash/flashplayer to connect with Opera but not with Firefox or Konqui?

Very mysterious, no?

Also, I forgot to mention previously that I'm using the 64 bit version of SuSE 11.0.

Thx for your suggestions.
    socref
    Last edited by socref; 25-Aug-2009 at 06:39. Reason: additional information added

Blog Entries

gil@phred:~> rpm -qa | grep flash
    flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release
    libflashsupport-000-67.1
    flash-player-9.0.246.0-0.1
    This shows to me that you have the wrong version of flash-player installed. You should be able to install flash-player 10 via an rpm command.

If you can not install flash to version 10 via zypper, then possibly your repositories are messed up.

To check your repositories, what is the output of:
    zypper lr -d
    Once you have the rpm version 10 of flash-player installed, you may need to remove libflashsupport to get firefox playing flash videos. You likely will also need either mplayerplug-in or gecko-mediaplayer in addition to flash-player.

This shows to me that you have the wrong version of flash-player installed. You should be able to install flash-player 10 via an rpm command.

I have not been able to find v 10 of flash-player. Only v 10 of the flashplug-in. I have looked all over the Adobe site. Can you point me to v 10 of flash-player?

If you can not install flash to version 10 via zypper, then possibly your repositories are messed up.

To check your repositories, what is the output of:
    zypper lr -d
    I am not familiar with zypper, or installing via zypper. I have only used the package manager or rpms for installation.

Here is the output. I do not know how to interpret this.

gil@phred:~> zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI
    ---+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 | openSUSE-retail 11.0 | openSUSE-retail 11.0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0
    2 | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | Updates for 11.0 | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.0
    3 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Oss | Yes | No | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/oss
    4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss | Yes | No | 120 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/non-oss
    5 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.0-Debug | No | No | 120 | NONE | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/debug
    6 | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0 | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | No | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0
    7 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Community | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Community/openSUSE_11.0
    8 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0
    9 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Backports | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Backports/openSUSE_11.0
    10 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.0
    11 | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0
    12 | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.0
    13 | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.0
    14 | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.0/ | VideoLan Repository | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.0/
    15 | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.0 | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.0
    16 | MMPx64v1 | MMPx64v1 | No | No | 99 | plaindir | dir:///home/gil/downloads/MMPx64v1/

Once you have the rpm version 10 of flash-player installed, you may need to remove libflashsupport to get firefox playing flash videos. You likely will also need either mplayerplug-in or gecko-mediaplayer in addition to flash-player.
    I already have mplayerplug-in v 3.55-0.pm.1-x86_64 installed.
    Thanks for your assistance finding v 10 of flash player and also understanding how to use zypper to install (unless I can install it using the package manager or rpm).

socref

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast