Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new computer only ms win

Default new computer only ms win

how come are new computer today only MS win
    lap top tablit with linux or bsd
    linux are bsd better the ms win!!!!
    ms is a juke!

Default Re: new computer only ms win

Because you live in the USA; in Germany two of the top ten laptops on sale come with Linux.

goldie NNTP User

> how come are new computer today only MS win

well, that is just not true....there are MANY new computers available
    today with an operating system other than MS-win..

many makers sell Linux on new hardware...google for it!

--
    goldie

Germany laptop andd en
    name of comp...
    If I can not bue form the us I know some people from eu

Blog Entries

Microsoft has a monopoly on PC Operating Systems , and they lever that monopoly to ensure self perpetuation.

Any supplier who decides to sell a PC without a Microsoft operating system, has to know that the majority of their customers are looking for a Microsoft operating system. Hence to make a PC attactive with a non-Microsoft OS, there has to be an incentive, such as a lower price.

But Microsoft are aware of this , and there have been known case whether they applied pressure (or special OEM version price/deals) to the PC suppliers to use their operating system.

Its a very difficult market for any other OS to break into, because of the marketting tactics employed by Microsoft. Ubuntu has made some progress here (more than Novell/SuSE-GmbH) , and Ubuntu are to be commended for what they have achieved. ... but IMHO Microsoft is a formidable presence in the PC operating System market, and will continue to be the dominant and monopolistic supplier of PC operating systems for some time.

Lightbulb Re: new computer only ms win

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Microsoft has a monopoly on PC Operating Systems , and they lever that monopoly to ensure self perpetuation.

Any supplier who decides to sell a PC without a Microsoft operating system, has to know that the majority of their customers are looking for a Microsoft operating system. Hence to make a PC attactive with a non-Microsoft OS, there has to be an incentive, such as a lower price.

But Microsoft are aware of this , and there have been known case whether they applied pressure (or special OEM version price/deals) to the PC suppliers to use their operating system.

Its a very difficult market for any other OS to break into, because of the marketting tactics employed by Microsoft. Ubuntu has made some progress here (more than Novell/SuSE-GmbH) , and Ubuntu are to be commended for what they have achieved. ... but IMHO Microsoft is a formidable presence in the PC operating System market, and will continue to be the dominant and monopolistic supplier of PC operating systems for some time.
    How true...
    Anti-monopoly actions are gaining ground though. Did you notice how Microsoft has been clipped overseas! Microsoft can no longer package Mail or Internet Explorer into windows 7 destined for overseas! Microsoft Mail can't be bundled with windows 7 in USA/CAN And they have been forced to make internet Explorer a feature that can be completely shut off.
    Hardware manufacturers and OEM dealers have long since been under the thumbnails of M$ being ordered to only offer M$ latest products or face negative ramifications. Novell has known this since the old days of DOS where they dealt with M$ at arms length and had their perverbial arm torn off. It's been a long road back for them. You may wonder where the networking strength of OpenSuSE came from ... thank Novell.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

yea moderator. You got it right and straight. Change is gradual and it will take time as you say. Linux has also entered into deal with Dell, HP and others as a start up campaign. You can see how hard Ubuntu has tried and the slow but gradual change it has brought. Suse being more powerful and versatile I bet will be a force to reckon in the near future. Just know for now that most servers are running on Linux and the client desktop OS will soon follow suite

A couple of years ago there was a case of someone buying a windows computer and saying he did not want windows. He eventually managed to get some money back for the unsused windows.
    Anybody heard of similar cases lately?
    Surely I should be able to say to the manufacturer:
    'I don't do windows, so I only want the hardware without the software.'
    Then there is also the ignorance of the sales staff. A guy recently bought the linux version of a major brand netbook from a large pc retail chain.
    The sales guy said: 'I'll go and fetch the pc for you. By the way, we have a special on Norton Internet security at the moment. Would you like me to add it?'

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    .....by the way, we have a special on Norton Internet security at the moment. Would you like me to add it?'
    He should have asked for it to be installed before he left the shop, that would have been very amusing .
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

Lightbulb Re: new computer only ms win

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    A couple of years ago there was a case of someone buying a windows computer and saying he did not want windows. He eventually managed to get some money back for the unsused windows.
    Anybody heard of similar cases lately?
    Surely I should be able to say to the manufacturer:
    'I don't do windows, so I only want the hardware without the software.'
    Then there is also the ignorance of the sales staff. A guy recently bought the linux version of a major brand netbook from a large pc retail chain.
    The sales guy said: 'I'll go and fetch the pc for you. By the way, we have a special on Norton Internet security at the moment. Would you like me to add it?'
    For my clients up here in Canada, I just build the system specific to the needs. They are quite amazed when they don't have to pay some $700 to $900 for windows and all the free software which in fact are stripped down versions on trial in many cases which are billed out at the full price of the software. Unfortunately, obtaining laptop systems without an operating system is not as easy to accomplish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast