Thread: Can i use Mandriva / RedHat RPM for Suse 11.1?

Exclamation Can i use Mandriva / RedHat RPM for Suse 11.1?

Hi Folks,

I`m physical handicapped so i need some simple web editors ,with WYSIWYG and anything more ,so that i can change the function a the program .

my look falls to Ayama 11 but this RPM is for Mandriva/RedHat and I ask me can i use it??

Ronny

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can i use Mandriva / RedHat RPM for Suse 11.1?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnypac View Post
    my look falls to Ayama 11 but this RPM is for Mandriva/RedHat and I ask me can i use it??
    Sometimes yes. A lot of the time (most of the time) NO.

Its not recommended.

Mandriva/RedHat/openSUSE have never agreed on a common file structure nor configuration structure to the extent necessary to ensure applications built on one will reliably run on the other.

That is unfortunate IMHO as it means tremendous duplication in packaging the same applications.

nvu is a webauthoring tool and it is in the openSuse repositories somewhere. Did you try that program out, since if it will do the job for you that will be much less work than trying to make ayama work under opensuse if it is a different distro rpm

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

Ronnypac wrote:

> my look falls to Ayama 11 but this RPM is for Mandriva/RedHat and I ask
    > me can i use it??
    >

On their site it says the rpm is for Red hat, mandrake and suse.
    http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/BinDist.html
    --
    Chris Maaskant

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

Chris Maaskant wrote:

> Ronnypac wrote:
    >
    >> my look falls to Ayama 11 but this RPM is for Mandriva/RedHat and I ask
    >> me can i use it??
    >>

>
    > On their site it says the rpm is for Red hat, mandrake and suse.
    > http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/BinDist.html

Just installed it, and it runs just fine :-)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

Blog Entries

It shows up in my Yast --> Software --> Software management as a standard package (packman probably).
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

I've been unable to get any of the more recent Amaya releases to run on either openSUSE 11.0 or 11.1. I don't know how anybody else is managing it unless they're compiling the source version.

I just grabbed the new 11.3 RPM off their site and it fails again on my openSUSE 11.1 installation. Whereas previously the problem was that it would install but then present no icon in my KDE menu, and do absolutely nothing when I tried to launch it, now I can't even install in YaST because of a missing dependency, libcrypto.so.6

I can't understand what's missing here. There's a libcrypto.so.0.9.8 included in the libopenssl package, or a libcrypto++0 package available, but nothing providing the specific file being asked for. YaST won't allow me to override it and install anyway.

Since the RPM provided by the project is for Red Hat, Mandrake and SUSE, I wonder if it's not packaged correctly or uses a different RPM version. I would contact the Amaya mailing list but if people here are saying they've got it working it makes me wonder what's going on on my machine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Mandriva/RedHat/openSUSE have never agreed on a common file structure nor configuration structure to the extent necessary to ensure applications built on one will reliably run on the other.

That is unfortunate IMHO as it means tremendous duplication in packaging the same applications.
    It just happened that these distros evolved separately. Besides directory structure, there are other things like names of packages, how a software suite is divided up (e.g. foo, foo-devel, foo-doc, etc), names and versions of libraries and so forth. The locations for files are more standard these days due to the LSB.

Yes, it's unfortunate and part of the OSS experience. But I'd rather have this than a dictatorship by one company, you know the one that makes blue screens.

Blog Entries

you know the one that makes blue screens.
    And Black ones now apparently
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below