Latest kernel + NVidia drivers for GeForce >6 killed X ??

Hi,

Today I installed some updates on my openSUSE 11.1, which went fine, until I updated the Kernel to the latest version in the update Repo and updated the NVidia drivers as well (the package for GeForce 6 and higher).

Since I did that my X server is no longer working. When I boot my machine and it tries to launch XDM (with KDM) it makes the screen go black (no powersave as my monitor stays on) and there is nothing I can do. I can’t even switch back to one of the terminal consoles.

I can reach the machine via SSH from another computer, but I cannot reconfig the X server nor can I reboot or shutdown the machine. When I try with the command reboot or shutdown, it says it is shutting down but nothing happens.

I deleted the xorg.conf file, rebooted in runlevel 3 and tried to start SAX2. Same thing happened, screens goes black and the machine stops working.

What is wrong ???

Hi
So the nvidia drivers from the website or the openSUSE repository?

If from the website, just check your PCI ID is still in the supported
list?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
up 4 days 2:48, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.51, 1.04
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

It’s from the official Opensuse repository.
My videocard is a Geforce Go 7900GTX.

It is still supported and always was. The previous version works fine.

Hi
Just check the version numbers of your kernel versus what nvidia
drivers were installed, I’m thinking they are different. If you run
sax2 -r -m 0=nv does it spring back into life?

Else I would look at the ‘hard way’ if you can’t locate the
corresponding kernel module. I’ve posted plenty of times on doing it
the hard way… just search for “canned response” and my username :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
up 4 days 4:02, 2 users, load average: 0.28, 0.22, 0.27
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

I had the same occur! I now need to run my laptop in failsafe in order to use it. I’m trying to figure out how to revert the updates I made using the repository. However, I hope there is a fix for this soon!

My signature above has old information. My updated system info is:
System: OS 11.1 x86_64 | KDE 3.5.10 “Release 21.11” | Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1

OK, I checked again but read carefully before proceeding.

At this point, the NVidia drivers are the same kernel version level as my running kernel. The reason why it all works fine lol!

But the version in the NVidia Repository shows the drivers with kernel modules for version 2.6.27.25_0.1 while the new kernel version of opensuse 11.1 is 2.6.27.29-0.1.1.

So, these versions do not match, so I’m pretty sure that this is the reason of the problem.

I guess I’ll have to wait a while until the new version is available so I can install both.

I think that only upgrading the kernel would also break my currect config as the version will not match again.
I know I can also install the RUN package directly from NVidia but I did that in the past and compared that against the drivers from the repo matching the kernel and it turned out that the repo version had several working options I use very often which I cannot get to work with the NVidia source drivers (and I tried really hard to get them to work).

Discovered some new things and it gets weird now.

The repository that was in my list is added by using the “Add Community Repositories” in the Yast Software Repositories tool.

The address of that server is http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/

But you can’t open it in a webbrowsers (there is also a note on the suse page indicating this).
If you do, you get this :

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/.

*   Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
    *   Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

But if this one is added and you check the versions in Yast you’ll see that this is the wrong version (2.6.27.25_0.1) which does not match the current version.

But if you add the same repository via FTP ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/ you’ll get an error message when saving the list (something with an unexpected end of file or some file corruption). So no way to add that repo to the list. But when browsed with an FTP client or FTP in Firefox you’ll see that this repo contains the correct version of the drivers that maches the new kernel.

Weird ! I guess that someone doesn’t want me to get the drivers in the proper way.

I’ll take a system image and tomorrow I’ll try to install the three RPM’s by first downloading them and install them manually.
Hope this works.

I have the same problem after doing the same updates.

Today I changed the http repo from NVidia to the FTP one, this time no error message.
Launched Software Manager, updated the kernel, sources and nvidia drivers (this time the versioning was the same) and now all is fine. New kernel and NVidia drivers are working fine.

Just struggling a bit with the PowerMizer function which apparently is not behaving the same as with the previous version.

LRE wrote:

> Today I installed some updates on my openSUSE 11.1, which went fine,
> until I updated the Kernel to the latest version in the update Repo and
> updated the NVidia drivers as well (the package for GeForce 6 and
> higher).
>
> Since I did that my X server is no longer working. When I boot my
> machine and it tries to launch XDM (with KDM) it makes the screen go
> black (no powersave as my monitor stays on) and there is nothing I can
> do. I can’t even switch back to one of the terminal consoles.

Same here. The driver version from opensuse was ..31 and the one from
nvidia site was ..36
Compiling that newer version works fine.
I wasted several hours trying to find out what was going on because this
was giving a kernel panic error, so I was not sure what was the problem.

-G-