Utility: Stardock Fences

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 4 days 2:31, 2 users, load average: 1.35, 1.79, 1.68
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stardock Fences

At first glance it looks like it. Could be a load of old codswallop too.
    If it's for real, then it just goes to confirm what I have said for some time. kde4 is leading the way in modern desktop environment.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    kde4 is leading the way in modern desktop environment.
    I think KDE in general has been leading since 2.0, but that's just my opinion.

When I go into Winders now, I miss my multiple desktops so badly it almost hurts. Such a little thing, I know, but I have been SPOILED by that.

That, and a bunch of other little things (such as the fact that the "Start Menu" in KDE doesn't disappear each time another window brings up a dialog ... or even when a balloon appears in the tray area!).

Those of you who've tried KDE 4.3, though, please let me know if it has finally restored the ability to set up different desktop backgrounds. I downloaded Milestone 5 a couple of weeks ago and played with it, but I still couldn't set but one common background.

I figure, if you're going to have separate desktops, make 'em SEPARATE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smpoole7 View Post
    Those of you who've tried KDE 4.3, though, please let me know if it has finally restored the ability to set up different desktop backgrounds. I downloaded Milestone 5 a couple of weeks ago and played with it, but I still couldn't set but one common background.

I don't have that working on my sandbox PC with KDE-4.3. ... but its only got 1GB of RAM, and I discovered on my KDE-3.5.10 setup that having each of the 4 desktop's with a separate graphic page had a small, but noticeable performance impact ... sufficient that I stopped using that feature on KDE-3.5.10. ...

I read a post (somewhere) speculating (or was it asking ? ) that that specific feature be added in KDE-4.4.

The transparencies that I get in KDE-4.3 put my KDE-3.5.10 transparencies to shame. In fact I am so enamored of KDE-4.3 (over 3.5.10) now that I play to put KDE-4.3 on a couple more of the family PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by smpoole7 View Post
    I think KDE in general has been leading since 2.0, but that's just my opinion.

When I go into Winders now, I miss my multiple desktops so badly it almost hurts. Such a little thing, I know, but I have been SPOILED by that.

That, and a bunch of other little things (such as the fact that the "Start Menu" in KDE doesn't disappear each time another window brings up a dialog ... or even when a balloon appears in the tray area!).

search the forums here to find out how to do it i think caf4926 has a good explanation on how to do what your asking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smpoole7
    caf4926;2030890 Wrote:
    > kde4 is leading the way in modern desktop environment.

I think KDE in general has been leading since 2.0, but that's just my
    opinion.

When I go into Winders now, I miss my multiple desktops so badly it
    almost hurts. Such a little thing, I know, but I have been SPOILED by
    that.
    <snip>
    Hi
    Install Virtual Desktop manager, I use it on the netbook....
    Info
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx>
    Download
    <http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/DeskmanPowertoySetup.exe>

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 4 days 4:11, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.12, 0.18
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

Here i can try and explain it
    right click on desktop>desktop settings
    in the desktop activity field make sure desktop is selected then you should have the cashew in the top right corner click it zoom out then you should have a transparent window top right click on configure plasma put a check in different activity for each desktop zoom back in and change the wallpapers for each desktop when your on that desktop
    hope that makes sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    in the desktop activity field make sure desktop is selected then you should have the cashew in the top right corner click it zoom out then you should have a transparent window top right click on configure plasma put a check in different activity for each desktop zoom back in and change the wallpapers for each desktop when your on that desktop
    hope that makes sense
    You sum it about as I would.
    There should be 3 choices in the Desktop section: Folder View, Desktop Containment, Desktop without Toolbox.
    It's 2nd choice you want.
    Then click the cashew on the Desktop, zoom in............
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc65 View Post
    hope that makes sense
    I know there's a global recession going on, but your lack of full stops (periods for the yanks among us ) and caps make it rather hard to follow there havoc! Especially for non-native English speakers.

On that note I hereby donate generously to the "Havoc full stop appeal" - "........................................................................................................................................................................................................."

Now with careful management and a good investment scheme, you should be able to live off the interest for years to come .

But on a more serious note, when I get to the "you should have a transparent window top right click on configure plasma" bit, I see nothing when I right click! All I see is this -

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

This is KDE4.3 with 2 desktops.
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

Blog Entries

I'm actually finding you can just set the desktop for each one from the desktop itself. Just switch to each and change.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast