Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel 5300 Wifi MiniPCI Card on Asus G71gx-RX05 from BestBuy

Default Intel 5300 Wifi MiniPCI Card on Asus G71gx-RX05 from BestBuy

I have an Asus G71gx-RX05 from Best buy
    Asus - Laptop with Intel Core™2 Duo Processor - G71GX-RX05

I upgraded the wifi which was an Atheros unit. I went with an Intel 5300 that has dual radio channel supper and mimo technology as i have a Linksys wrt-600n router. I do not use the 5ghz radio but still like to have the option.... that is why i got this card and because i had poor reception with the original Atheros card.... However now linux unbuntu 9.0 and 9.1 beta and also Linux Mint and Open Suse 11.1 and 11.2 beta will not "see" the wifi card. It works in Windows 7 just fine. I do to the network manager and select wireless but it is grayed out and can not select it. I tried the betas of Open Suse and Ubuntu and Kbuntu because of the updated kernals that as i thought have support ffor this card the intel 5300. any ideas on how to get it working. I am using linux 64 bit versions as i have a 64bit core 2 duo processor.

Default Re: Intel 5300 Wifi MiniPCI Card on Asus G71gx-RX05 from Bes

any one? lets make this into the number one project in the world, lets put space exploration off until the 5300 works for linux open suse 11.1 or 11.2

Well, your "number one project" was already successful:

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A2 5300

0e:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection [8086:4235]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
            Kernel modules: iwlagn
    Works for me™ on

Code:
     cat /etc/SuSE-release 
    openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 11.1
    "out of the box" (also on i586).

But thanks for suggesting this. :-)

BTW, it's a mini PCIE card.

Blog Entries

There is a thread here, which has some information on the Intel 5300AGN:
    11.1 (64) misidentifies intel 5300agn as 5100agn - openSUSE Forums

Apparently there are subversions of the 5300AGN:
    OpenSolaris Forums : Wifi Link 5300 Wireless Adapter, iwh, ...

My Dell Studio 1537 has an Intel Pro 5300 AGN card, and according to lscpi, the 5300 AGN in my Dell is an Intel Corp Device 1121.

The wireless "just works" on openSUSE-11.1 (32-bit) with the 2.6.27 kernel (albeit I am a bit disappointed with the range, and a bit disappointed in that it drops out or freezes for a few seconds on occasion).

openSUSE-11.2, with the 2.6.31 kernel purportedly has a lot of improvements for Intel wireless devices.

Hence to test, I booted to the openSUSE-11.2 milestone-6 liveCD (64-bit), and went into YaST and configured the card, which was actually easy. ... I had to go into YaST because the network app in the KDE-4.3 lower right corner of milestone-6 is still buggy. I'm told the Gnome openSUSE-11.2 milestone-6 does not have this glitch. Still the wireless does work with my Dell Studio's 1537 Intel 5300AGN with 11.2 milestone-6, and for the short duration of my testing, it did appear better than 11.1, ... but that was subjective on my part and it needs better testing.

When I say "just works" on openSUSE-11.1, that means I only had to pick the "SSID", pick the encryption (WPA personal), enter the pass phrase, and it connected. In the case of openSUSE 11.2 milestone KDE-4.3 when I went to YaST, I also ticked off manual configuration (as opposed to using the non-functional app in the lower right corner) and I also selected the "box" to give a regular user the permissions to start/stop the wireless connection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dzuchowski View Post
    It works in Windows 7 just fine.
    I forgot to add, ... the Intel 5300 AGN on Windows Vista initially worked, and then stopped working completely. My has totally given up on trying to get it to work in Vista. Fortunately it does work in openSUSE-11.1.

The card should be recognized. You do not see it at all with "lspci" (with root permissions) ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I forgot to add, ... the Intel 5300 AGN on Windows Vista initially worked, and then stopped working completely. My has totally given up on trying to get it to work in Vista. Fortunately it does work in openSUSE-11.1.

The card should be recognized. You do not see it at all with "lspci" (with root permissions) ?
    downloadd the drivers from intel. works great under windows 7 release candidate

Blog Entries

downloadd the drivers from intel. works great under windows 7 release candidate
    I read your post a few times, and could not see your answer to my question.

I read your post a few times, and could not see your answer to my question.
    To get the intel 5300 to work under vista just go to intel and download the driver.

For 64 bit: <-- Click

For 32bit Vista

Blog Entries

To get the intel 5300 to work under vista just go to intel and download the driver.

For 64 bit: <-- Click

For 32bit Vista
    Thanks for the Vista information. I'll be sure to pass that to my wife. Maybe she will be interested.

You state your 5300AGN is not detected. What is the output of "/sbin/lspci" ? Does your 5300AGN show up there?

Thanks for the Vista information. I'll be sure to pass that to my wife. Maybe she will be interested.

You state your 5300AGN is not detected. What is the output of "/sbin/lspci" ? Does your 5300AGN show up there?
    cant open the file. how do i open it?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast