Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    I'm running openSUSE 64 bit 11.1 Gnome on a computer with a 64 bit Intel centrino CPU.

    I want to run FreeBasic compiler. But it only comes in a 32 bit tar.gz package that I installs via a script that is provided. I have to install about 10 or so Suse rpm packages to satisfy dependencies. In the past it all went well on my old 32 bit machine but -- no surprise -- the compiler won't compile in my 64 bit machine.

    So I propose to uninstall the compiler, then install the 32 bit runtime environment and then reinstall the compiler after that.

    Question 1: The 10 or so extra packages that it needs to run -- do I install the 32 bit versions or the 64 bit versions?

    Question 2: will this 32 bit runtime environment affect my 64 bit operating system or the general performance if the only 32 bit app that I install is the FreeBasic compiler?

    Thanks
    swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  2. #2
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    swerdna wrote:

    > I'm running openSUSE 64 bit 11.1 Gnome on a computer with a 64 bit Intel
    > centrino CPU.
    >
    > I want to run FreeBasic compiler. But it only comes in a 32 bit tar.gz
    > package that I inatll with script that is provided. I have to install
    > about 10 or so dependency packages. In the past it all went well on my
    > old 32 bit machine but -- no surprise -- the compiler won't compile in
    > my 64 bit machine.
    >
    > So I propose to uninstall the compiler, then install the 32 bit runtime
    > environment and then reinstall the compiler after that.


    Read this thread before :-)

    Freebasic on Linux 64 bits
    http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13163

    > Question 1: The 10 or so extra packages that it needs to run -- do I
    > install the 32 bit versions or the 64 bit versions?
    >
    > Question 2: will this 32 bit runtime environment affect my 64 bit
    > operating system or the general performance if the only 32 bit app that
    > I install is the FreeBasic compiler?


    I would not mix environments... if you cannot get it to work within your
    current 64 bits installation, better try a virtual machine with a pure 32
    bits openSUSE and test it from there. But this is just my wise advice O:-)

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    Thanks Camalen

    I made a partition and installed a second openSUSE 11.1 64 bit as a sandbox. I installed the 32 bit runtime environment alongside the 64 bit install and couldn't even get the installation to work. So thankfully I didn't bomb my work-a-day installation.

    I've read the FreeBASIC forum link and it looks promising. But the main task is just to get a compiler going right now, immediately, so I'm installing 32 bit openSUSE on a VM as I type. That will do the job for now. I'll pursue the proper 64 bit install of FreeBASIC at another time, when I have more time.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  4. #4
    gbyron NNTP User

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Thanks Camalen

    I made a partition and installed a second openSUSE 11.1 64 bit as a sandbox. I installed the 32 bit runtime environment alongside the 64 bit install and couldn't even get the installation to work. So thankfully I didn't bomb my work-a-day installation.

    I've read the FreeBASIC forum link and it looks promising. But the main task is just to get a compiler going right now, immediately, so I'm installing 32 bit openSUSE on a VM as I type. That will do the job for now. I'll pursue the proper 64 bit install of FreeBASIC at another time, when I have more time.
    When you say you installed the 32bit runtime you also need to install all the 32bit dependnacies ie glibc libxyz. The when you try and run it the errors it spits out should give you a guide.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    Thanks gbyron -- I'm still working on this
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    It took me a week and maybe 10 installs of openSUSE various flavors in VMs and on real partitions. I followed your advices and many dry gullies too. But I finally got it going properly and wrote it up so I can get it right from now on. And for others who come that way via Google too.

    HowTo Install the FreeBASIC Compiler into Suse / openSUSE 32 and 64 bit

    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  7. #7
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: 32 bit software in a 64 bit openSUSE

    swerdna wrote:

    > It took me a week and maybe 10 installs of openSUSE various flavors in
    > VMs and on real partitions. I followed your advices and many dry gullies
    > too. But I finally got it going properly and wrote it up so I can get it
    > right from now on. And for others who come that way via Google too.


    Wow! You deserve a big free-and-virtual beer|coca-cola|pepsi, sir.

    > http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susefreebasic/html


    Corrected URL ;-)

    HowTo Install FreeBASIC into openSUSE (32 bit and 64 bit)
    http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susefreebasic.html

    > Thanks guys, I appreciate it.


    A BIG thanks to you for all your well-documented, really useful and easy to
    follow articles on the matter :-)

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •