Thread: kaffiene and K3B not working

Default kaffiene and K3B not working

hello
    i'm new to Suse but have used Redhat/fedora for some time now,
    could someone help me iron out some stuff with my new install?

I went and loaded the multimedia codec from the restricted sites
    disabled all but pack man and the oss and non oss and the updates

then went and got my favorites K3b, kaffiene, acetoneiso2, gkrellm, devede ,etc
    most of them work but when i launch kaffiene nothing happens

tried it from the terminal and got this:
    :~> kaffeine

Program 'kaffeine' is present in package 'kaffeine', which is installed on your system.

Absolute path to 'kaffeine' is '/opt/kde3/bin/kaffeine'. Please check your $PATH variable to see whether it contains the mentioned path.

bash: kaffeine: command not found

got the same message when I tried to launch k3b in terminal

i reinstalled both programs, but that didnt help

i removed then reinstalled, still nothing

oh yea i cant get my krell on either ( gkrellm is also not launching )

can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

EHD

Blog Entries

Default Re: kaffiene and K3B not working

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    tried it from the terminal and got this:
    :~> kaffeine

Program 'kaffeine' is present in package 'kaffeine', which is installed on your system.

Absolute path to 'kaffeine' is '/opt/kde3/bin/kaffeine'. Please check your $PATH variable to see whether it contains the mentioned path.

bash: kaffeine: command not found
    Ok, so its telling you to check your path. What did you get when you checked the path ? ie what is output of typing:
    $PATH

home/username/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin: No such file or directory

ok am i correct in thinking that i should at the prompt type
    "$PATH"

the above is the result

I typed this and i think i see my problem

~> whereis kaffeine
    kaffeine: /opt/kde3/bin/kaffeine

~> whereis k3b
    k3b: /opt/kde3/bin/k3b

let me install kde

Blog Entries

let me install kde
    alternatively, just add /opt/kde3/bin/ to your path.

dang it

ok how do I install kde

fedora had a screen where you could just select "KDE Desktop"

I loaded all the files under kde3 base

dang it

EHD

ratz didnt read your post before posting mine

sorry

how do i add that to the path?

Blog Entries

sorry

how do i add that to the path?
    yaloki had a post on this a long time ago on his blog:
    /dev/loki: October 2007
    To quote his blog:
    As it's a recurring question, here is how to add one or more directories to your PATH (on openSUSE, but applies more or less to other distributions as well). Note that I assume you're using bash as your shell.

First of all, PATH is an environment variable which is set when you log in, by a set of configuration files that augment it. Environment variables are marked as "export" and are inherited to subprocesses (e.g. if you start ls from your shell, the ls process will inherit all the exported variables from the shell process).

On login (graphical through KDM, GDM or XDM, or on the console), the sequence of shell configuration files read more or less as follows (slightly simplified):
    • It starts with /etc/profile,
    • followed by every /etc/profile.d/*.sh file that is readable for your user,
    • then /etc/profile.local if it exists,
    • and finally by $HOME/.bashrc and $HOME/.profile

Every time you open a new shell (including through X terminal applications like xterm, konsole, gnome-terminal, urxvt, etc...), the shell process inherits all the environment variables that have been set on login by the files mentioned above. It then merely reads $HOME/.bashrc (which, on openSUSE, defaults to read $HOME/.profile).

Now, back to PATH.

First of all, you have to decide whether you want to add a directory to the PATH of your user or of all users (including root). If it's just for your own user, then apply the change to $HOME/.profile and if it's for all users, then apply the change to /etc/profile.local (and create it if needed, it doesn't by default).

You may either use your favourite text editor (vim, emacs, kate, ...) or use the following shell code snippet to expand PATH, the following example being for your very own environment and hence only applies to your own user:
    Code:
    echo 'PATH=/opt/blah/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.profile
    As you can see above, we've prepended the directory /opt/blah/bin to PATH. Make sure to use ">>" and not ">" (>> means "append", while > means "create or overwrite").

The point is, because of how bash reads configuration files on startup and how the configuration files are arranged (see above), changes made to e.g. /etc/profile.local will not be applied when you open your next X terminal application. You have to log out of your session (either X session or console session) and log in again to see the changes.
    Also note that as opposed to MS Windows, the change doesn't instantly apply to all open cmd.exe windows either.

To avoid having to log out and in again, you may just "source" the configuration file you've modified in your existing shells and/or in the shells you open until your log out, like this: ". /etc/profile" (or "source /etc/profile") -- without the "", that is.

On openSUSE (and probably on most other Linux distributions nowadays), the directory $HOME/bin is automatically added to PATH if it exists.

thanks

EHD