Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Boot Suse 11.1

Default Cannot Boot Suse 11.1

Ok, I am suddenly having a major problem. Fired up my laptop this morning only to find a grey screen. Something about tab only command. I did not understand it.

So I tried repairing it. When it comes to "Boot Loader" it tells me there are errors. Then I click "repair", and it goes through the sequence. However each time, it says error again. Each time it says the new boot loader is installed, but then when I try to reboot I get an error message over and over.

I then checked The "Boot Installed System" option in repair toolbox. It said there was " No Linux root partition found". So what does this mean? Obviously yesterday it was installed, as it has been working for months. Now suddenly nothing. As you can tell, I am not a computer expert. So I am baffled.

Help me, someone! Please

Default Re: Cannot Boot Suse 11.1

OK here I go again. Tried to repair the boot loader agai. Got this error message.
    /sbin/fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda2 Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program.

How could it be opened by another program?

Now it is telling me:
    The Ext3 file system of the partition /dev/sda2 is corrupted. To repair the file system, press Repair.

So here we go again!

OK

This is what happens when I try to boot from the Hard Disk

I get this message:
    GNU GRUB version 0.97 ( 631k lowr/ 1832448k upper memory )
    [Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]

I tried "Rescue" from he install disk, but it requested a login and I have no idea which login I am supposed to type in. I tried my user name, and my root password but it just kept repeating the request. So obviously my normal root login was not what it wanted.

I just want to try and get my files back that were on my hard disk. This is my notebook. I was just in the hospital, and had planned to backup everything today. Now it looks like everything may be lost. This is not helping my physical state at all. I really wish someone could give me a word of advice. This happened after installing updates last night. Could I have been hacked?

First things first do you have a livecd handy, if so get it booted see if you can see the partitions and get the info you need off it.

If not then it may be able to solve it, I'm guessing that it maybe related to the initrd. One option would be to try to boot in(May need chrooting) but I would first get the info off. If possible...
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Exclamation HELP ME PLEASE! Cannot Boot

Ok here I try with my question again.

I have been using Suse 11.1 since last year, first on my old PC and then on my Acer Extensa 4420 Laptop. Amd 64x2 Athlon Dual-core processor (1.9Ghz, 2x256KB L2 cache )2GB DDR2 160GB HDD

Ok last night before signing off, I installed the latest updates. Today when I tried to fire up my PC I got the message:

"GNU GRUB version 0.97 ( 631k lowr/ 1832448k upper memory )
    [Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]"

I had no idea what this meant, other than it wouldn't boot.

I tried to "repair" the instaled system, without luck. Every time it came to "install new boot loader" it went through the process, told me it was installed. Then when I tried to restart I got a red warning that it had not installed. This happens over and over.

Now let me give a little more detail about the original install. I had no problems with the original 32 bit version on my old pc. However when I tried installing it( 64 bit version ) on my Vista partitioned laptop, it failed over and over. Finally I chose the " use entire disk" option, and it installed. It has worked since January with no problems up until now.

Whe I tried to use the " repair installed kernel' option in the repair tools. I got first a message that it was being used by another program, then after closing that box. I got yet another message saying that " No Linux Root Kernel is Installed"

I am totally confused and frustrated. Is there any way to repair this, and get back into my PC? Or is it all somehow erased?

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:56:01 +0000, Kenny1948 wrote:

(I'm pulling this from your second thread).

> Ok here I try with my question again.

Please bear in mind that a "forum" is not a real-time chat tool. As
    such, waiting less than 3 hours before reposting your question isn't
    really a good idea. A good expectation to have is that it may take 24
    hours (sometimes longer) before someone replies.

Think of a forum as being more like e-mail, rather than an instant
    messenger client.

> I have been using Suse 11.1 since last year, first on my old PC and then
    > on my Acer Extensa 4420 Laptop. Amd 64x2 Athlon Dual-core processor
    > (1.9Ghz, 2x256KB L2 cache )2GB DDR2 160GB HDD
    >
    > Ok last night before signing off, I installed the latest updates. Today
    > when I tried to fire up my PC I got the message:
    >
    > "GNU GRUB version 0.97 ( 631k lowr/ 1832448k upper memory ) [Minimal
    > Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists
    > possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
    > completions of a device/filename. ]"
    >
    > I had no idea what this meant, other than it wouldn't boot.

It sounds like what's happened is that the boot partition either isn't
    being seen, or the menu.lst file is missing from there (which tells the
    system what options to display on the menu).

Start the system from the install disc in rescue mode. When the rescue
    system has loaded, press CTRL-ALT-F2. That should get you to a command
    prompt. Type "fdisk -l" and tell us what is returned.

That will help us identify what the partition layout is on the disk, from
    which we can feed commands into the grub boot loader page to get the
    system to boot again. Once it's booted, we can probably reinstall the
    boot loader so you don't have to do it by hand, or pull the data off the
    drive if you wish to reinstall.

First rule of troubleshooting: Don't panic. It's very likely that your
    data is still there, and the boot loader can be fixed so the system will
    boot again.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Moderator

Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP ME PLEASE! Cannot Boot

Can you boot into openSUSE using the installation DVD -- here's the method:
    Boot from your installation DVD. On the first menu screen, select Installation. Proceed past the Licence screen to the Installation Mode screen. The Installation Mode screen has these options:

New Installation
    Update
    Repair Installed System

Select Repair Installed System and Next to the Repair Method screen. Select Expert Tools. You will be presented with the Repair Tool Box screen. Select to Boot Installed System. If there are multiple installations on the drive you might be presented with a list of partitions (so select one), otherwise the system should auto-boot.
    If that doesn't work, you could try one of the other methods outlined here:
    Five ways to boot openSUSE when Grub is broken

If you can get in, you might be able to repair the bootloader using Yast and the method outlined in the Appendix of that tutorial.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

I have merged the two threads so we don't get too confused as to who what where and how.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

OK I tried using the "rescue" option. However when it loads it asks for a login. I tried my Root name and password but it keeps rejecting them. So is there a different login that is required?

The problem with the forum is the "live" aspect. I realize this is an e'mail forum. I also realize that many people are in a different time zone. I am on Eastern Time (USA) it's just difficult getting things done when you are using a different computer to look up information. I have to go back and forth.

I will keep checking back for suggestions. Thanks for answering my post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1948 View Post
    OK I tried using the "rescue" option. However when it loads it asks for a login. I tried my Root name and password but it keeps rejecting them. So is there a different login that is required?
    Is this the live CD? I think the root login is "root" and <enter> is the password. I think the user account on the live CD is "linux" and either <enter> or "linux" is the password.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast