Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flash player frustrations

Default flash player frustrations

on 11.1 (64 bit) - Mozilla just goes away when I click on a video to play. Just downloaded libflashplayer.so and moved it to /usr/lib64/browser-plugins per a thread here.

Thanks for any advice...

Blog Entries

Default Re: flash player frustrations

On my 64-bit openSUSE-11.1 with flash I note the following query results:
    Code:
    oldcpu@hal1000:~> rpm -qa | grep flash
    libflashsupport-1.2-4.20
    flash-player-10.0.32.18-0.1.1
    pullin-flash-player-11.1-1.1
    oldcpu@hal1000:~> whereis libflashsupport
    libflashsupport: /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so
    oldcpu@hal1000:~> which flashplayer
    /usr/bin/flashplayer
    I use firefox with mplayerplug-in, although I do note that mplayerplug-in is being depreciated.

linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # rpm -qa | grep flash
    pullin-flash-player-11.1-1.2
    flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release
    libflashsupport-1.2-4.20
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # whereis libflashsupport
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # which flashplayer
    /usr/bin/flashplayer
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins #

Not sure what to do here as I am a bit of a 'newbie'. I note that across all the distros getting audio and video to work is a bit of a challenge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stansaraczewski View Post
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # rpm -qa | grep flash
    pullin-flash-player-11.1-1.2
    flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release
    libflashsupport-1.2-4.20
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # whereis libflashsupport
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins # which flashplayer
    /usr/bin/flashplayer
    linux-3jev:/usr/lib64/browser-plugins #

Not sure what to do here as I am a bit of a 'newbie'. I note that across all the distros getting audio and video to work is a bit of a challenge.
    While my 64-bit openSUSE works with libflashsupport, I note some users found removing libflashsupport enabled them to get flash working with firefox.

I don't have flash-plugin installed - I don't know if that matters if libflashsuport is removed.

You should also state what web site is giving you this problem? Youtube? CNN ? BBC ? Apple Movie trailer? All flash sites? ... and if all, which ones did you try?

And what plugin are you using with Mozilla firefox? mplayerplug-in? gecko-mediaplayer? I use a version of mplayerplug-in packaged by Chrysantine.

But as noted above, mplayerplug-in (which fortuantely works for me because of Chrysantine's packaging a recent SVN version) is being depreciated and replaced by gecko-mediaplayer (available from Packman: PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket gecko-mediaplayer )

I did not consider testing various websites - I tried to view a video on yahoo. I'll gather answers to the other questions and return.

I appreciate your support, and please ignore my frustrated tone.

Blog Entries

New users tend to struggle. But users who have been with openSUSE for a while tend to find it rather easy.

The first thing I typically do after a fresh install, after getting internet to function, is I setup my repositories for software with 4 and ONLY 4 repositories: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Typically the 1st 3 are already setup and I just need to add Packman. Do NOT add any more. Only those 4: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Just those 4. Adding more can add problems, that frankly, new users are likely not capable of solving (nor even identifying) the problems that can happen. And those 4 will give one a LOT of multimedia.

Then go to YaST > Software > Software Management and replace SuSE-GmbH packaged versions with Packman packaged versions of applications.

I never cease to be amazed by new users who have added a couple dozen repositories in the naive belief it will make things easier/better, when in fact it destroys their system. In Linux, LESS is typically better, as opposed to Windoze where more can be better.

I did say ONLY 4 repositories?

I am ecstatic - removing libflash support got my video working.

My problem is not really being a new user, but having experience similar to swiss cheese: lots of holes, lots of solid parts.

My first exposure to Unix was back in the early eighties. Being in the IT industry (using numerous platforms) I am not always in the mood to tinker, and Linux requires it. Rarely does something work right away.

The 'newbie-ness' is largely my fault for not applying myself more and conquering my impatience.

Thanks again for your support...

Blog Entries

I am ecstatic - removing libflash support got my video working.
    This is a pain this particular need to remove libflashsupport. I'm glad to read you have it working now.

I had this happen on our family laptop, where I had to remove libflashsupport to get flash working, and my wife (an WinXP) lover was NOT impressed when she saw me do that, as she ranted at me saying "how would a new user know that" ? To which I could only answer "ask in the openSUSE forums".

Its a PITA that that is necessary in some cases.

You may find apple movie trailers crash your firefox. As noted mplayerplug-in is being depreciated, and its possible the gecko-mediaplayer works better? I don't know.

I've done a fair amount of 'distro hopping' in the past few years and have finally settled on this one.

The others have all been appalling in one way or another.

I do depend heavily on the forums - and the folks in this one are more courteous and understanding.

It amazes me how much people do know and I wonder just how much time they have to learn it all ?

Blog Entries

It amazes me how much people do know and I wonder just how much time they have to learn it all ?
    I confess the amount of knowledge that some of our guru's do know does amaze me a LOT of the time.

But I sort of rationalize it this way, ... in many cases (take myself for example) those who provide support on our forum have been using Linux for over a decade. I started in 1998 and have ONLY been using Linux at home since. One can not help but pick up a few things that way.

In 2005 I decided to return a bit to opensource, after doing nothing but take for free for over 6 years, ... by 2007 I decided to start focussing on sound, as I noted there were major problems with many users there, and that was one area I knew a bit about. Of course the more support one gives, the more one learns. Plus by hanging out on the forums (given support to sound in my case) I would see other non-sound problems that were solved, and I would learn the solution.

But you know, thats not so unusual. I note many MS-Windows users have been using windows for over 2 decades, so its not surprising they know Windows well, and they can quickly point to MS-Windows solutions. And I think it also explains their frustration when coming to Linux and find their 1 year effort at Linux (when trying to use Linux) can not even come close to competing with 2 decades of Windows familiarity.

I myself am pathetic with MS-Windoze. My lack of familiarity with makes me a complete cripple when it comes to that OS.

If a forum is good (and we try here - albeit we do have detractors) then hopefully it will act as a good focal point for improved technical information flow.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast