Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am doing it, clean install of Suse 11.2 M5

Cool I am doing it, clean install of Suse 11.2 M5

I am getting rid of 11.1 and doing a clean install of 11.2 M5. Yeah I know. It is not ready yet for general desktop use. But I am not worried. I back up things all the time. The biggest things would be Firefox info, but Febe is great with that. I am also backing up some other things at this time, /home/me/folders and /.folders

I have to wait about an hour or so for the dvd to download anyways so I have plenty of time to back up all my info to my back up sata.

Now if this blows up my computer, I want my money back.... Or since it is free "Free as in Beer" then just email me some beer, the good stuff not the cheap one around my area, lol.

If all goes bad I can always reinstall suse 11.1 but I am more likely to start up a live cd/dvd and see if I can find and fix, research the problem or run to this forum crying that I am going back to Vista

I will let everyone know how it goes. If you don't hear from me by Milestone 6, then you know
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I am doing it, clean install of Suse 11.2 M5

Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    I am getting rid of 11.1 and doing a clean install of 11.2 M5. Yeah I know. It is not ready yet for general desktop use.
    11.2 M5 has some real annoying bugs, not all of which were in M4. Be certain you read the annoying bug list. openSUSE News openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 5 Released Things like:
    • kdesu not working (impacts launch of YaST and ability to edit many text files);
    • gnome not shutting down
    • graphic drivers not working in X for some hardware

Please write bug reports as appropriate for the bugs you encounter.

As noted in the stickie to the beta forum: Welcome to the Pre-Release/Beta Forum - openSUSE Forums
    This forum area is reserved for you dedicated users, who walk "on the edge", and who like to live up there with the moon walkers and with the Mount Everest mountain climbers, ... not to mention the extreme skiers with whom you chum around with. This is for you - the Beta Software Testers who like to live dangerously.
    Have fun !!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    11.2 M5 has some real annoying bugs, not all of which were in M4. Be certain you read the annoying bug list. openSUSE News openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 5 Released Things like:
    • kdesu not working (impacts launch of YaST and ability to edit many text files);
    • gnome not shutting down
    • graphic drivers not working in X for some hardware

Please write bug reports as appropriate for the bugs you encounter.

As noted in the stickie to the beta forum: Welcome to the Pre-Release/Beta Forum - openSUSE Forums Have fun !!
    Thanks for the info. I did notice there where work arounds for some of the bugs, so that will be helpful.

Well now my dl speed dropped. I have about 2 1/2 hours to go until the download finishes. Not sure if it is from my end or what, (most likely my ISP.) It's like watching paint dry!
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

I tried Milestone 5 and promptly uninstalled it. It was unusable for me.

For me it was the buggiest Milestone yet and I've tried them all.
    P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 @ 3GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, 2x320GB HDD
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by markcynt View Post
    I tried Milestone 5 and promptly uninstalled it. It was unusable for me.

For me it was the buggiest Milestone yet and I've tried them all.
    As was promised in the factory mailing list their was a discussion about not releasing ms 5 and waiting for ms6 because of the bugs
    ms 5 tanked my computer but because I was using a net install by Monday the bugs that were trashing my system were fixed. The only problem was wireless but I fixed that by turning off IPv6

I am going to have to wait. I am having some problems with the download, Firefox keeps crashing. I am guessing it has to do with an add-on, maybe a plug in. Once I figure out the problem then I will download it so I can get this installed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse amd64x2
    I am going to have to wait. I am having some problems with the download,
    Firefox keeps crashing. I am guessing it has to do with an add-on, maybe
    a plug in. Once I figure out the problem then I will download it so I
    can get this installed.
    Hi
    Use wget (recommended method) much better at downloading large
    files For example;
    Code:
    wget -c
    http://mirrors1.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/11.2-Milestone5/iso/openSUSE-DVD-Build0200-i586.iso
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 6 days 16:22, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.07, 0.05
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Use wget (recommended method) much better at downloading large files For example;
    Code:
    wget -c
    http://mirrors1.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/11.2-Milestone5/iso/openSUSE-DVD-Build0200-i586.iso
    I second the vote for wget. .... But having typed that, if one is careful and wants reasonably quick speed, then prozgui is kind of neat (its a download accelerator). It can be MUCH faster than wget. I have noticed I can get more download corruption with prozgui than I can with wget, so care is needed and the md5sum MUST be run.

Prozgui is in the repositories.

Sure, now I read this. I decided to download the torrent instead, I have two minutes left for the LiveCD KDE.

Of course I could try and see if I could get the 64bit DvD instead, just to see how wget works out for me.

Wget will take two hours. My ISP is slow today, for cable that is. I do have the LiveCD downloaded so I am going to call it a victory and start the install.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast