Problem runnin application. Need library libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.

I managed to manually install Logger Pro for Linux (which is quite an achievement for me) but when I try to run it, this happens…

nathan@NATHAN-LAPTOP:~> loggerpro
loggerpro: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nathan@NATHAN-LAPTOP:~>

An internet search of libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 gives little help and I can’t find it in YaST. I am at a loss here. I need to be able to run this application for school. Where can I find this elusive object file?

Hi
You need to install gtkmm :wink: either via YaST -> Software -> Software
management or from the command line;

sudo zypper in gtkmm

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
up 23:31, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.42, 1.15
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

It seems that I already had gtkmm installed according to YaST. I tried reinstalling it but still the program won’t run. I tried the command malcolm suggested and got this…

nathan@NATHAN-LAPTOP:~> sudo zypper in gtkmm
nathan's password:
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'gtkmm' not found.
Resolving package dependencies...
Nothing to do.

Hi
Try gtkmm2 instead…

up 1 day 0:42, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.18

UPDATE

I found a file called libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.0.30 as well as a symbolic link to that file called exactly libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 in my user\lib64 folder so I created a new symbolic link and put it in my usr\lib folder, try to run loggerpro, and what do you know, a new error!

nathan@NATHAN-LAPTOP:~> loggerpro
loggerpro: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So as I see it, I have the 64-bit version of the file and I need the 32-bit which doesn’t appear to be available to me. sigh

That’s what I get for trying x64

Hi
Since there isn’t a gtkmm2-32bit file, try the i586 file.
ftp.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/

up 5 days 1:10, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.00

<:) YAY!

Alright. I took Malcolm’s advice and downloaded the i586 version of the libgtkmm package from this very website and extracted only the libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 file and it’s respectable link into my /usr/lib/ folder. tried running loggerpro again and it said I needed ANOTHER file (libpango) that I also already had the 64 bit version of so I used the same procedure as for libgtkmm and it worked. After about 10 different files and 10 different i586 package downloads, I tried loggerpro for a final time and BOOM! It opened! :slight_smile: After far more work that it should have been, I managed to do the homework!

Thank you Malcolmlewis!

Hi
Your welcome, If there are no 32bit libs then that is the way to go,
however then can be put in a different directory and a conf file added
to overcome putting the libraries in the main tree… but you should
be fine, but it may break in the future. Do you have a link to the
download of the file loggerpro?

up 5 days 11:40, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.25, 0.18

I am aware of but not worried about the problems that can arise from putting libraries in the main folder. Linux installations don’t last long for me so a reinstall is never very far away.

As for logger pro, here is the story. We need Logger Pro for my Physics class. The on-campus computer have the software but otherwise, it’s $130. So I went on to the Logger Pro website to see if there was a free download there and happened across information on the Linux version they were developing. They said that while it is in BETA, it was free for Linux testers. I thought “What a coincidence! I have a Linux laptop that I use for school!.” The download link was emailed to me after I registered with the website. I specifically said I was runnig openSUSE 11.1 but apparently all they have is deb versions so I converted it to a .tgz using alien and managed to move each file where it belonged. I then tried to run the progam and encountered the error and started this thread.

Long story short, I could give you the link but the lp developers probably wouldn’t like it very much.