Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    In an attempt to install gnucash, I've gotten the error:

    Package gconf-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gconf-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gconf-2.0' found
    configure: error: Library requirements (gconf-2.0 >= "2.0") not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    However, looking in YAST, I see that it is installed. So, how do I find where that file is and then how do I add it to the pkg-config search path? (When I echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH it's blank)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,253
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    In an attempt to install gnucash, I've gotten the error:

    >
    > Package gconf-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps
    > you should add the directory containing `gconf-2.0.pc' to the
    > PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gconf-2.0' found
    > configure: error: Library requirements (gconf-2.0 >= "2.0") not met;
    > consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
    > libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
    >


    However, looking in YAST, I see that it is installed. So, how do I find
    where that file is and then how do I add it to the pkg-config search
    path? (When I echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH it's blank)
    i
    <something>.pc files are in the devel packages, did you install the
    gconf2-devel package?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 5:45, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.09
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18


  3. #3

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"..

    OK, I fixed that but now it's saying it needs gtk+-2.0 >= version 2.6!!

    Am I wrong that such a version does not exist?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,253
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    OK, I fixed that but now it's saying it needs gtk+-2.0 >= version 2.6!!

    Am I wrong that such a version does not exist?
    Hi
    Again, is the gtk2-devel installed it's at 2.14

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 6:00, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,253
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    OK, I fixed that but now it's saying it needs gtk+-2.0 >= version 2.6!!

    Am I wrong that such a version does not exist?
    Hi
    Again, is the gtk2-devel installed it's at 2.14
    Hi
    From and 2.3.3 spec file;
    Code:
    %if 0%{?suse_version} >= 1110
    BuildRequires:	libwebkit-devel
    %define	webkitconfig	"--enable-webkit"
    
    Requires:       guile slib
    # Required to make quotes working. Gnucash can run without quotes
    support: Requires:       perl-Crypt-SSLeay perl-DateManip
    perl-Finance-Quote perl-HTML-Parser perl-HTML-TableExtract
    perl-libwww-perl BuildRequires:  doxygen fdupes gconf2-devel
    glib2-devel goffice-devel graphviz gtk2-devel gtkhtml2-devel
    guile-devel intltool libktoblzcheck-devel libglade2-devel
    libgnomeprintui-devel libgnomeui-devel libofx-devel libxml2-devel
    popt-devel slib swig update-desktop-files # Optional features:
    BuildRequires:  aqbanking-devel >= 4.0.0 libchipcard4
    libchipcard4-devel libofx-devel postgresql-devel BuildRequires:
    libdbi-devel
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 6:17, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.03
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18


  6. #6

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"..

    I finally gave up. I was trying to install gnucash 2.9 (only 2.4 is provided in the opensuse repositories) and it gave me about 15 different things that kept throwing issues. And those issues, once resolved would then require another thing to install that then would bring back one of the previous issues. What a mess! Why is it always so **** hard to install something when not using YAST?

    And yes, I know YAST is the "better" way, but it doesn't always provide the latest version.

    (BTW, I'm still a bit of a newbie)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,253
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr
    I finally gave up. I was trying to install gnucash 2.9 (only 2.4 is
    provided in the opensuse repositories) and it gave me about 15 different
    things that kept throwing issues. And those issues, once resolved would
    then require another thing to install that then would bring back one of
    the previous issues. What a mess! Why is it always so **** hard to
    install something when not using YAST?

    And yes, I know YAST is the "better" way, but it doesn't always provide
    the latest version.

    (BTW, I'm still a bit of a newbie)
    Hi
    Do you mean 2.2.9? 2.3.4 is later?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
    up 6:42, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18


  8. #8
    goldie NNTP User

    Default Re: Help! Attempt to install gnucash says need "gconf-2.0"...

    > And yes, I know YAST is the "better" way, but it doesn't always provide
    > the latest version.


    *free advice* from an old man: the latest version is NOT always the
    best in terms of usability, stability, or reliably..

    a system constantly being "updated" to the latest version will
    absolutely be more of an administrative nightmare that _I_ want, if
    you want go ahead....but, be prepared to run into "15 different
    things that kept throwing issues" and i'm not sure it is best for the
    limited help resources here to even try to help you frustrate yourself..

    on the other hand, *if* the current in repo version has a bug or is
    missing a feature that you _need_, that is another matter...but, just
    to 'upgrade' for the purpose of having the latest is (imho) not the
    best way to go....i mean, this is Linux: there is new stuff every 15
    minutes....how ARE you gonna keep up??

    hmmmm...i think if you compare a fully security patched openSUSE 11.1
    running any DE other than KDE4.1 to the very latest and greatest
    available from Mac, MS, SUN, IBM or other you would have to decide
    that the main repo fed version of openSUSE is miles ahead in terms of
    "latest version"..

    ymmv....if you don't like my free advice, then ignore it...i don't
    wanna fight over it..

    --
    goldie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •