Skype voice test fails

I can hear myself through the speakers. I did a “arecord -d 5 test.wav” and played it back through dolphin, didn’t hear anything. I have the mixer channel for mic, mic boost and capture up 75% and can adjust input levels which I hear in the speakers. I also have capture channel enabled. I tried using krecord and seems like I can’t record any voice there. Whats my next step?

Bigger mystery, some how the voice tests works with Skype now as it didn’t in the first post. I think all I did was start alsamixer from the command line. Than the voice test was getting grabled noise. I backed down the mic boost to zero and it sounds very good. But I really would like to know what got “fixed” to make the voice test work. (Still haven’t talked to a real person on Skype today from the Linux box".

Another question here: Would you please tell me which devices you have enabled in KMIX to let it work properly? Thanks.

>(Still haven’t talked to a real person on Skype

try adding echo123 and giving her a call (it is a Skype test line)

goldie

Realistically, you are probably the only person who can provide that information as to what you “fixed”.

Still, in case you have basic mic problems in the future, I recently updated the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide putting a very small (and very preliminary) section on a Mic here:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - configuring the microphone
where in essence it simply refers one to here:
Microphone - openSUSE
and I also updated that microphone wiki, providing advice to try this:

arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav

and then play with one’s mixer settings.

Glad to read you are making some sort of progress. I do NOT use Skype so I can not help users with that.