Thread: Built in mic problem on HP Pavillion dv9576ea

Eamonn98 NNTP User

Unhappy Built in mic problem on HP Pavillion dv9576ea

Hi.
    I'm having serious trouble getting my onboard microphone on my laptop to work with openSUSE. I've tried several suggestions from this forum, and others as to get it to work, but I've had no success in doing so. Basically I'm almost 99% sure that the mic is part of the onboard HP Webcam, which is recognised and outputs video flawlessly using "Cheese" and "Skype". There's only one audio device showing up in the KDE device manager too.

This is the first time I'm actually asking for help with something to do with openSUSE, so apologies in advance if I'm not supplying enough information to do with the problem!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Built in mic problem on HP Pavillion dv9576ea

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn98 View Post
    I'm having serious trouble getting my onboard microphone on my laptop to work with openSUSE. .... I'm almost 99% sure that the mic is part of the onboard HP Webcam ... There's only one audio device showing up in the KDE device manager too.
    Onboard mics are always a PITA (IMHO) to get working. To start, can you setup your mixer (kmix), adding appropriate new channels as necessary to setup your mic exactly how you think it should be setup to record, and then with your PC connected to the internet, in a konsole run:
    Code:
    wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    and post here the URL it provides when complete. Just the URL.

Could you also advise what openSUSE version? And also advise what desktop? KDE-3.5.10? KDE-4.1.3 ? KDE-4.3.x ?

and also copy and paste the following into a konsole and provide here the output:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound