Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

  1. #1

    Default Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    Heya,

    My brother helped me install OpenSuse 11.1 64Bit on my Acer TravelMate 7730.

    It has an Intel Core2 Duo P8400 CPU and an nVidia Geforce 9600M GT. I don't know if you need more specs. If so please tell me how to supply them.

    My experience so far is that OpenSuse seems to be fond of crashing. Its been rebooted about 8 times since install. I think 3 or 4 of them was due to crashes. The last was just a few minutes ago. I was on Facebook with Firefox and listening to music using...yeah...I forgot the name of the program, it was NOT Amarok. So much I know. It started with 'b' I think.

    Anyway...what can I do to prevent these crashes?

    Daqar

  2. #2
    Niclas Ekstedt NNTP User

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    Daqar,

    > My experience so far is that OpenSuse seems to be fond of crashing. Its
    > been rebooted about 8 times since install. I think 3 or 4 of them was
    > due to crashes. The last was just a few minutes ago. I was on Facebook
    > with Firefox and listening to music using...yeah...I forgot the name of
    > the program, it was NOT Amarok. So much I know. It started with 'b' I
    > think.


    The name of the program was almost certainly Banshee which is the
    default music player in gnome.

    I've been running 64-bit for quite a while and find it just as stable as
    the 32-bit. No problems so far, certainly no crashes or hangs.

    To prevent this, make sure you're up-to-date. Have you added any
    packages from repos other than the default openSUSE ones?
    That may be the resaon for your problems, especially from OBs ones.

    Do you get any errors in the log files, that could help pinpoint the
    reason for the crashes?


    --
    _________________________________________
    Niclas Ekstedt, CNA/CNE/CNS/CLS
    Systems Engineer
    Atea Sverige AB


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,235

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 21:16 +0000, Daqar wrote:
    > Heya,
    >
    > My brother helped me install OpenSuse 11.1 64Bit on my Acer TravelMate
    > 7730.
    >
    > It has an Intel Core2 Duo P8400 CPU and an nVidia Geforce 9600M GT. I
    > don't know if you need more specs. If so please tell me how to supply
    > them.
    >
    > My experience so far is that OpenSuse seems to be fond of crashing. Its
    > been rebooted about 8 times since install. I think 3 or 4 of them was
    > due to crashes. The last was just a few minutes ago. I was on Facebook
    > with Firefox and listening to music using...yeah...I forgot the name of
    > the program, it was NOT Amarok. So much I know. It started with 'b' I
    > think.


    "crash" is an interesting word. Does this mean the whole machine is
    really locked up? Or are the graphics just frozen? etc...




  4. #4

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    I guess crash is a variable. I could move the mouse around on the screen but the computer did not respond to keyboard input or mousebuttons. In the last crash, the sound continued untill the song enden. Then the sound died too.

    I think there are too repositories added, maybe 3: VCL, community and nVidia.

    my gfx-card and compiz made something of a fuzz when installing and setting up hardware. I think this was the reason for most reboots.

    How do I check the error logs?

    Daqar

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Belem, Para, Amazonia, Brazil
    Posts
    85

    Exclamation Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Daqar View Post
    I guess crash is a variable. I could move the mouse around on the screen but the computer did not respond to keyboard input or mousebuttons. In the last crash, the sound continued untill the song enden. Then the sound died too.

    I think there are too repositories added, maybe 3: VCL, community and nVidia.

    my gfx-card and compiz made something of a fuzz when installing and setting up hardware. I think this was the reason for most reboots.

    How do I check the error logs?

    Daqar
    Hi,

    I have the same issue here with 11.1 64 bit, just the same lockups
    as yours. If I am listening to music (with Amarok), the music will continue
    up to the end of play list. Furthermore, most of these lockups happen
    when I am scrolling on Firefox, but I have realized that it also happens
    when I am working in other applications like openOffice and emerald window
    manager. Any one knows if these applications are all GTK based?

    I do not think these lockups are Compiz related, since I used to have
    similar, but not equal, ones when Compiz was disabled. But you
    could try disable Compiz an see what happens.

    I am starting to think this is not hardware related either, since your video
    card is NVIDIA while mine is Intel! So, what desktop do you use?
    Gnome or KDE? I was wondering if this is KDE related, since
    I use KDE 4.1.3.

    Take a look here: http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...11-1_64-a.html

    Any help is welcome here. This seems to be a common issue for 64-bit
    up to date system users (I do not remember having this problem on
    a fresh install)!

    Bye.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,235

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    I have not seen the issue. But I destroy pulseaudio. You might want to
    try getting rid of that (you can keep libpulse, just get rid of
    pulseaudio, under YaST it will try to eliminate the dependent elements
    if you just tell it to delete pulseaudio.

    Is that going to fix your "crash"? I have no idea. I just know that
    mine doesn't crash and I have BOTH an Nvidia box AND an Intel GPU'd box.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,235

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 16:11 +0000, cjcox wrote:
    > I have not seen the issue. But I destroy pulseaudio. You might want to
    > try getting rid of that (you can keep libpulse, just get rid of
    > pulseaudio, under YaST it will try to eliminate the dependent elements
    > if you just tell it to delete pulseaudio.
    >
    > Is that going to fix your "crash"? I have no idea. I just know that
    > mine doesn't crash and I have BOTH an Nvidia box AND an Intel GPU'd box.
    >
    >


    Also, after destroying pulseaudio, remember that alsaconf is your
    friend.. just to make sure all of that is working.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Belem, Para, Amazonia, Brazil
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcox View Post
    On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 16:11 +0000, cjcox wrote:
    > I have not seen the issue. But I destroy pulseaudio. You might want to
    > try getting rid of that (you can keep libpulse, just get rid of
    > pulseaudio, under YaST it will try to eliminate the dependent elements
    > if you just tell it to delete pulseaudio.
    >
    > Is that going to fix your "crash"? I have no idea. I just know that
    > mine doesn't crash and I have BOTH an Nvidia box AND an Intel GPU'd box.
    >
    >


    Also, after destroying pulseaudio, remember that alsaconf is your
    friend.. just to make sure all of that is working.
    I think you have miss understood. At least in my case, the lockups are not
    related to audio. I said Amarok still works to emphasize that only the
    mouse and keyboard lock. The lockups happen still if I am not listening
    to music and Amarok is not running. I meant that it is not a hard lock.
    As instance, if I am chatting on aMSN, I can still receiver messages
    but can not type. If I am talking at Skype, my contact can still hear me and
    I can still hear him/her. As well, the video does not crash.

    I do not think is Pulseaudio too. I work in a desktop with the same
    software configuration as in my laptop. I mean, openSUSE 11.1 x_64,
    the same applications, and I do not have these lockups on this computer.
    I have they only on my laptop. In both I have Pulseaudio installed but unchecked
    in Yast.

    But, any way, thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.K East Anglia
    Posts
    2,581

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    Check "top" in a console, it could be something hogging resources,causing things to lock-up

    Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

    SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    N. Wales
    Posts
    1,028

    Default Re: Stability issues in OpenSuse 11.1 64-bit

    ednso adjusted his/her AFDB on Wednesday 19 Aug 2009 17:46 to write:

    > I think you have miss understood. At least in my case, the lockups are
    > not
    > related to audio. I said Amarok still works to emphasize that only the
    > mouse and keyboard lock. The lockups happen still if I am not listening
    > to music and Amarok is not running. I meant that it is not a hard lock.
    > As instance, if I am chatting on aMSN, I can still receiver messages
    > but can not type. If I am talking at Skype, my contact can still hear
    > me and
    > I can still hear him/her. As well, the video does not crash.


    In other words you are still using the sound system.

    >
    > I do not think is Pulseaudio too. I work in a desktop with the same
    > software configuration as in my laptop. I mean, openSUSE 11.1 x_64,
    > the same applications, and I do not have these lockups on this
    > computer.


    Does it use the same sound card and drivers?

    > I have they only on my laptop. In both I have Pulseaudio installed but
    > unchecked
    > in Yast.


    But you need to uninstall all of pulse except for libpulse0

    Then remove and add your soundcard again using YaST

    If that does not fix it then it IS somewhere else.

    As pointed out run top in a console and monitor the CPU usage see if
    something like beagle is running if so un-install anything like beagle,
    strigi, kerry any of the desktop search stuff.

    Then try again.

    If it still crashes try and press Ctrl+Alt+F1 does it drop you to a console,
    if so login as root and run top see if anything is still hogging the CPU
    like X or plasma.

    We need to know what is running when it crashes.

    It could be something quite simple like the update daemon or you wifi
    drivers or the graphic drivers.

    HTH

    --
    Mark
    Caveat emptor
    Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •