Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dvd::rip - encoding VOBs in the highest quality possible.

Blog Entries

Default Re: dvd::rip - encoding VOBs in the highest quality possible

Quote Originally Posted by TheMask View Post
    Three questions:

1. Do you actually say that k9copy will be able to do better rips than dvd::rip?
    2. If so, how come?
    3. Will it be able to bypass copy protection too?
    Why don't you just try it.

I did. At first I loved the layout and its simple handling...until I noticed it cannot open already backed up VOBs to encode. If it's true, it's...weak.
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

Blog Entries

I did. At first I loved the layout and its simple handling...until I noticed it cannot open already backed up VOBs to encode. If it's true, it's...weak.
    Its not weak.

You are asking a different function.

It will backup a dvd.

If you have vob's already created, then just start k3b and drag and drop the vobs into k3b and burn the dvd.

Thanks for your hint, but my intention is another. For the purpose of watching those movies at home in private, I want to back them up - and under "backing up" I mean to rip the movie in the highest quality possible, maybe crop the picture and do some tweakings and store them in a file, not on a disc. Thats why I originally thought dvd::rip came pretty close my expectations - at least you can crop and tweak the settings through a comfortable GUI. But hey, It doesnt encode in the highest quality possible, and therefore its no longer a real option.

I am still looking for such a great program like Gordian Knot (a windows application) for Linux that is capable of getting around a given copy prtoection and rip a movie into a container with the highest quality possible while compressing the whole thing. Now you could say: "If you like Gordian Knot so much, why not run it in Wine?" Because I wont. Im looking for a true linux application for those tasks. Basically a multifunctional DVD authoring suite that is -preferrably- in the repos. So far I didnt find one that suits me.

Boy, I really dont understand why there doesnt exist a great DVD ripping suite for Linux. If there still is one that I missed and youd recommend, please feel free to let me know.
    Any hint into the right direction is highly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your hint, but my intention is another.)

Boy, I really dont understand why there doesnt exist a great DVD ripping suite for Linux.
    I don't know what you want. But there are good apps and IMHO you are ignoring the answers given.

K9copy will do a backup rip to another dvd. Good quality.

K9copy will do a backup rip to your hard drive. Good quality.

The rip is quick. If you have a DVD you own, then stop wasting time posting, and try it. Gosh ! If you don't like the quality , then delete the file. It takes more time to post than to check it out with an actual rip.

If you already have a vob, and want to create a DVD, then use k3b.

I simple do not understand where your requirements are not being met.

As for your windows app comparison, I don't do windows. I have not done windows since 1998. And I do not have the first idea about windows app functionality.

Seems like you are getting annoyed here. Its your choice if you reply or not - I appreciate it though. After testing k9copy and dvd::rip I came to the conclusion, that Im still missing the rip-to-one-file option. Example: A DVD (that I own) should be ripped into ONE high quality mpeg media file (or other container) while being compressed at the same time.

Conclusion: None of the DVD authoring suites did fulfill my intentions fully yet. Which others do exist?

@ TheMask

Seriously, dude. If you want to encode directly from a VIDEO_TS directory full with encrypted VOBs, then use mencoder which decrypts DVDs on the fly - it can read directly from directories, DVD drives and ISO images. So, if you have placed your DVD contents to say /home/themask/DVD then specify the correct flag in mencoder; -dvd-device /home/themask/DVD followed by the compression options I gave you in one of my replies. It's that simple and using the terminal to encode won't bite you or blow your building up. I do it all the time with h264enc, which offers 61 different quality presets, and many people do so too, including the "fans" of h264enc over at doom9.org and they get stunning results thanks to my highly optimized presets I stuffed the script with.

Also, we have offered you many programs that can do what you ask for... handbrake, h264enc, avidemux, acidrip, etc, yet you don't try them out and try to stick to dvd::rip even though it'll never give you the highest possible quality....

It's a funny thing because you want the highest possible quality, yet you don't realize that encoding will always degrade the quality even if you max out all options and let it encode till the cows start singing. After encoding, you'll never have a 1:1 copy wrt to quality, though it'll come close. If you want the highest possible quality, there's only one thing you can do. Don't encode and just dump the contents of the DVD to one big MPEG file with mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile

EDIT: why do you exactly need a GUI for encoding? To watch its fancy progress bar for 95% of the encoding time? Because that's all a GUI does during the encoding. Just sits in memory and slaps you with a progress bar.

Blog Entries

Example: A DVD (that I own) should be ripped into ONE high quality mpeg media file (or other container) while being compressed at the same time.
    K9 copy does that.

btw, here some screenies of sx264 which I package. As you can see for yourself, it supports DVDs and uses mplayer/mencoder or ffmpeg for decoding and x264 for encoding. It also supports MP4 and MKV and offers full customizations and can also use MeGUI profiles/presets

Whoa, you were right. microchip, with your hints I realized that sx264 or h264enc will be perfect for encoding as mentioned.
    Whats the significant difference between those two programs?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast