Thread: AMD 64 X2 Running Hot?

Default AMD 64 X2 Running Hot?

I have a Biostar Motherboard that was originally set up with a single-core AMD Athlon 64 Processor. I installed both Windows XP and OpenSUSE (of course!) over this processor. The motherboard has an AM2 socket, and I just upgraded to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core chip.

The BIOS reports that it's running at 60 degrees celsius, which is about twice what the old CPU reported. I installed the lm_sensors under Linux, I ran sensors-detect as root to set it up, and then ran "sensors" from a terminal prompt. I get all sorts of temperatures on each run (I keep hitting the up arrow key, then enter, just to re-execute the command about twice a second).

Here's a sample of two runs within 1 second of each other.

Code:
    FIRST RUN (snipped and edited):

k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:  +11.0C
    Core0 Temp:   -5.0C
    Core1 Temp:   +0.0C
    Core1 Temp:   +2.0C

M/B Temp:   +127.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +105.0C)  ALARM  sensor = transistor
    CPU Temp:     +0.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +105.0C)  sensor = transistor
    Temp3:       +51.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +106.0C)  sensor = thermal diode

SECOND RUN (also snipped and edited):

k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:  +11.0C
    Core0 Temp:   -5.0C
    Core1 Temp:   +1.0C
    Core1 Temp:   +1.0C

M/B Temp:   +127.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +105.0C)  ALARM  sensor = transistor
    CPU Temp:    +55.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +105.0C)  sensor = transistor
    Temp3:       +50.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +106.0C)  sensor = thermal diode
    This looks like nonsense. Notice that the first run showed a CPU temp of 0 degrees (which is hard to believe). The "motherboard" constantly shows 127, which is probably a default with no sensor.

All I need to know is if I'm going to cook this motherboard. From doing an online search, it looks like AMD has had trouble with the 64-bit X2 series running hot, but how can I tell for sure when no two tools give me the same temperature? Some of the folks online say I can't even trust the temperature report from the POST screen during bootup!!

By the way, the sensors program gave me similar CPU Temp numbers with the old processor -- all over the place. (Yes, I reinstalled and re-ran "sensors-detect" when I changed the processor.)

The heatsink on the processor doesn't feel hot. In fact, it's about at room temperature. So I just don't understand. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I know it's not a strictly-OpenSUSE issue, but I was hoping someone could share some ideas.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AMD 64 X2 Running Hot?

Do you have the AMD in windows app 'Cool and Quiet'? It may give you a better idea.
    My AMD shows in the openSUSE sysinfo/MyComputer of kde as 40 degrees and it hardly ever changes.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Do you have the AMD in windows app 'Cool and Quiet'?
    I'm not sure. I have the Biostar utilities CD; I'll check there. Proof that I'm a Linux-head now. I hadn't even thought about going into Winders.

By the way, I forgot to mention that Biostar does say that this motherboard (GeForce 6100 AM2) *does* support the X2 AMD chips. I guess it's running OK, or I wouldn't be typing this!!

Blog Entries

FYI: I think most of the AMD overheating issues have been in Laptops, but I could be wrong.
    My guess is it's probably fine. But better safe than sorry, so worth investigating.

The Cool n' Quiet stuff came packaged with the ASUS mobo cd I have. It's built in the BIOS but to run it in windows there is small app to install. You may find you have a similar even if not identical utility.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I think it's the motherboard. It doesn't support "Quiet and Cool." I took the case apart right after running a 10 minute stress test with tons of math and graphics, pulled the heatsink off, and the CPU was cool to the touch. I think the motherboard is reporting the temperature incorrectly.

Time for a new mobo .. ..

From what I have heard, the lmsensors numbers need to be "fine tuned" to your specific machine. I have it installed on my AM2 64 X2 system as well and the numbers are not very useful. Each core usually has a pretty substantially different reading from the other. One of the system temperature readings was at -27 degrees C (yes, negative). Another was at 27 degrees C, and the third at a completely different number. Not sure what those three are supposed to be reading. I would recommend checking what the temperature readings are in your bios before you decide to scrap the motherboard. Bring up your bios "pc health" page (or whatever it is called in your case) and let the machine sit for a while to get the idle temp reading. If these seem reasonable, then the problem is likely with lmsensors, not your motherboard.

smpoole7 adjusted his/her AFDB on Monday 17 Aug 2009 06:26 to write:

>
    > I think it's the motherboard. It doesn't support "Quiet and Cool." I
    > took the case apart right after running a 10 minute stress test with
    > tons of math and graphics, pulled the heatsink off, and the CPU was cool
    > to the touch. I think the motherboard is reporting the temperature
    > incorrectly.
    >
    > Time for a new mobo .. ..
    >
    >

Which exact mobo are we on about here?

I can have a look for you to see what the specs are and how the sensors are
    configured.

Also have you run sensors-detect as root to see if it has other sensors, the
    k8temp one sometimes works Ok, you might find there is an it87? sensor also
    and this can give better results.

Another thought:

Install gkrellm ( in the repos, might be packman ) this has a built in
    sensor which you can adjust the readout to compensate for misleading sensors
    values.

You can of course adjust the sensor readouts in the sensors config to give
    better accuracy.

IIRC:

When you look at the data in the BIOS for the temps it can be skewed because
    the CPU is running the "Halt" and can run hotter than in normal use. ( this
    info I pulled out of nowhere and it might be pure drivel )

:-)

Other things to think of are where the sensor is, some read direct from the
    CPU while older boards sometimes had a physical sensor on the board itself
    and the positioning of this causes misreads.

My Athlon 64 X2 ( 2.5ghz ) runs at approx 50C at 100%, this is slightly high
    but is due to the small case and not very adequate air flow but it just runs
    and runs BOINC 24/7

HTH

--
    Mark
    Caveat emptor
    Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by baskitcaise View Post
    Which exact mobo are we on about here?
    As mentioned above, it was a Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2. Note the use of the tense, "was;" I did upgrade the motherboard today to one from Gigabit and it's working fine now. Splendidly-iferous.

I can have a look for you to see what the specs are and how the sensors are configured.

Also have you run sensors-detect as root to see if it has other sensors ...
    As also mentioned above, I ran "sensors-detect" as w00t both before and after swapping the CPU. All the second run did, with the new Dual Core chip, was to increase the number of reports. The accuracy still stunk.

And don't miss the fact that the BIOS report itself -- right after bootup, in the "PC Health" screen -- was inaccurate. It indicated 62 degrees C after a cold reboot (machine had been off all night, so that's close to ambient). On the new mobo, initial boot, it showed 27C, which is whole lot more acceptable.

Thanks for the kind offer, but the old motherboard and processor will find a second life in some form of Frankenstein-ish concoction at work. We gots cases, we gots keyboards, we gots all sorts of goodies that would love to have that mo-bo.

Last edited by smpoole7; 17-Aug-2009 at 19:45. Reason: an orbiting alien mind control laser penetrated my foil hat

smpoole7 adjusted his/her AFDB on Tuesday 18 Aug 2009 03:46 to write:

>
    > baskitcaise;2027138 Wrote:
    >>
    >> Which exact mobo are we on about here?
    >>

>
    > As mentioned above, it was a Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2. Note the use of
    > the tense, "was;" I did upgrade the motherboard today to one from
    > Gigabit and it's working fine now. Splendidly-iferous.
    >

No pobs,

I am nearly completely converted to all Gigabyte boards here, put my first
    one in about Jan/Feb and now have 4 machines on them, cannot fault them at
    all on linux, the ATI/AMD combination just "work" out of the box with
    nothing special except for the Graphic drivers.

Cheers

--
    Mark
    Caveat emptor
    Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum