Running a 32 bit application in 64 bit openSUSE possible?

I am owner of (a very costly) STATA 32 bit license. I tried to run it on a 64 bit openSUSE but currently it does not even start.
Question: is it possible to run a 32 bit native application in 64 bit openSUSE? (Under 32 bit it runs very well).

Question 2: if possible, what kind of sources do I have to install in order to guarantee compatibility (and that might not be installed by default).

System: opensuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5.
Software STATA 8.0.

Sorry if somewhere someone should have written something about that issue. I tried a search but the keywords would be so generic that the results where pointless.

I’ve no idea what STATA is, but it sounds like you simply need to install the 32bit compatability libraries.

You’ll need to know whether STATA is a GTK (gnome) or QT (KDE) app, then also install the 32bit versions of the corresponding toolkits.

Hum, since it is a Havard spinoff I would suspect it is Gnome, but to be honest…how do I find out? Producer should be contacted or can I find out for myself?

Edit: it actually says it just requires X but I do not understand why it locks up in 32 bit…

How do you install this app? Is it an RPM?

If it is, it should tell you that requirements are missing when you install it from the command line.

If it’s not “installable”, then try running it from the terminal and see if it spits any error messages out.

Other than that, you could cheat and install a 32bit Gnome app (eg Nautilus), that should automatically drag all the necessary GTK and Gnome runtime stuff in :).

It will also drag a load of unnecessary stuff in too unfortunately, so you will need a bit of disk space :S.

stakanov wrote:

> I am owner of (a very costly) STATA 32 bit license. I tried to run it on
> a 64 bit openSUSE but currently it does not even start.

Ask your software vendor/provider.

As per the link bellow, it seems you should not have any difficulty to get
that wornking:

http://www.stata.com/products/opsys.html
http://www.stata.com/products/64bitintro.html

Greetings,

Camaleón

stakanov wrote:

>
> Hum, since it is a Havard spinoff I would
suspect it is Gnome, but to
> be honest…how do I find out? Producer
should be contacted or can I
> find out for myself?
>
> Edit: it actually says it just requires X but I
do not understand why
> it locks up in 32 bit…
>
>
have you contacted support?
http://www.stata.com/support/tech-support/

if you provide error messages displayed when
attempting to run maybe someone could help decode
them

you could run it in a 32bit virtual machine using
VirtualBox - but performance would suffer to a
degree

assuming upgrade cost is not too high you could
upgrade to the 64bit

openSuse 11.1 x64bit, KDE4.x Factory, Opera
weekly

Hi Growbag,
Ive a similar problem…getting a 32 bit app to run on Suse 11.1 -64. When it fails to run it mentions 32 bit compatability libs. Ive searched for them using YAST Software Management but cant find them. Can you tell me where to look?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Without a name for them? Probably not. So… what are they?

Good luck.

hcgrant wrote:
> Hi Growbag,
> Ive a similar problem…getting a 32 bit app to run on Suse 11.1 -64.
> When it fails to run it mentions 32 bit compatability libs. Ive searched
> for them using YAST Software Management but cant find them. Can you tell
> me where to look?
> Thanks :slight_smile:
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJKiPRIAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5Tt8P/25+i5Us1dDq2SAXl822xzbl
y6No0Lg21jqkZ/OZ2ph3DVxyVfp4w9+fSwBYmzRZI/55SMRF0E9/PDdY2P5e2Ueu
CBL1krPhZG7bgC4hU0v3/aETWiJOL4pTGgOfmfovl3cewMFK7ePrGZOVgI0rZ1zt
wqWfzZ/tc2MiNtbuVnukN4slduERT53oya/bZrADfebY/6fImFFcoqYlyWoeYqUV
0/Wu2vAoV8HMj19gP104rKxdB8bTAc2U9Sq3GwWE5p9Z6d02zHJVkMctt/MvK0cJ
NddV/XDnNcTm79/XNyY+/X7Apr+YghDO/VHjDyjOzxevESeW/7L7UyHKKCSWPjmm
zqU/uqgiUw/RiTZMRAesLDa5OmmZdOlQ1aC2rWglr1RArTcocIcWrNoChawTlisQ
c+147p4bQxiIH/LLrUruqH43j/sn7SvHvmCL1Sdr+czc8z1QRQEDz4ZKrewGNZu3
ayvYc+AvoVzMpw6exfFsjvOpg64k10DYnqSagSW7PPSuKNbGhDjOo3vQSNhwVYrP
qLwOf0qISwoB/OKzEb5ztxqW6cg7hJq1G+OLYb6EZCgCtyQlwtbKw/0NiTzQloVN
6uyL89VQgDXn3yjWs6pt/g5GRPB2RFolhAA+ypHabPM8ybUo5hVlfOumhUppWmV/
zaly4UnjEsnC14/eytmN
=DWzG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Well, thank you all. Noop, I did not contact tech support yet. Just wanted to find out before if it is an openSUSE problem. As it seams the hint on compatibility with gnome is right. I have tried to launch it directly through command line. It complains about a glibso…missing. (I am without internet at home these days so I cannot fix it I am afraid…BUT I will try to fin the file on the DVD.
Already with 11.1 it installed better than ever before, with 32 bit rightly out of the box. That was not the case before because it was missing a link to the new decompression utility (which it assumed to be ncompress). But with 11.1 no symbolic link needed.

The update on 64 bit I will do it when I will be richer as it is a few hundred dollars (I recall about 800)…(no, I don’t have them now :wink: ) but I would like to install the 64 bit version of openSUSE on my notebook with the next release and it would be essential to make STATA work before. So I am using my home PC (64 bit) to try it out, in time, without hassle.
Will update you if it works with the library installed.

The “official” complain of STATA (xstata-se) is:
**“error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0:cannot open file: No such file or directory”.
I tried to find the library on search (on the DVD as currently I do not have net access with the fix pc) but I did not find it.
Is this library available for 64 bit?

When you search in Yast, always make sure “RPM Provides” is ticked as well, that helps if the thing you are looking for is a lib (or any other) file contained in an oddly named package, or part of a package.

You might want to simply install - gtk and gtk2-32bit (which I found through Yast).

It’s easier to use the command line with -

sudo zypper in gtk gtk2-32bit

That should also drag in any dependencies at the same time.

libgtk-1.2.so.0 is part of the gtk package, and in your case you will need the 32bit version aswell.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Weired because the 32 bit gtk package (following yast) appears to be installed. I will try with the command line (which is much better anyway). Thanks for the “solution on the silverplate”.
Cheers.

**Solved. **
The gtk-32bit package was actually missing. Sorry for the late update, was away from my desk.
The libgtk and libgtk-32bit install provides full 32bit stata-8 functionality under 64 bit Opensuse.