Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Issues

Default Sound Issues

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and just installed Suse 11.1 on my desktop and I can't seem to get the sound working properly. When I first turn the computer on, I can't hear any sound and there is an icon on the lower right hand corner that looks like a speaker with a cross over it.

I have tried the suggestions from this post:

SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

One of the suggestions was to go to YAST, delete the sound card and add it back in, after doing that I am able to hear music from Amarok and from videos. I thought that would fix it so I turned off my computer and turned it back on to see if it did work, but I get no sound again. I went back into YAST, deleted and edited the sound card again and I have sound again.

Can someone please help me out, I don't want to keep deleting and adding this sound card every time I turn on or restart my computer.

Thank you very much.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sound Issues

Quote Originally Posted by wy8384 View Post
    One of the suggestions was to go to YAST, delete the sound card and add it back in, after doing that I am able to hear music from Amarok and from videos. I thought that would fix it so I turned off my computer and turned it back on to see if it did work, but I get no sound again. I went back into YAST, deleted and edited the sound card again and I have sound again.
    there is a bug in pulse audio in openSUSE-11.1 that your sound is constantly muted upon boot. Just go into your mixer and ensure PCM, Master, and Speaker volume are not muted. You have do to that each time you boot because of the bug.

Blog Entries

Reference the remainder of you multimedia, have a read here:
    openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - sound problems on Gateway M-6874h
    to see if that helps a bit in understanding multimedia on openSUSE Linux.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Since there's nothing I can do at the moment, I'll just delete it then reenable it. Thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Since there's nothing I can do at the moment, I'll just delete it then reenable it. Thanks again for your help.
    Why delete it? Did you check your mixer to see if it was muted like I had thought? If so, unmuting in the mixer should be quicker than going to YaST to delete and re-enable.

If unmuting in the mixer does not work, just type:
    su -c 'rcalsasound restart'
    enter root password when prompted, and see if that works

I tried your suggestions and typing in the command worked. Doing that was much easier than deleting the card then reenabling it.

Thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries

I tried your suggestions and typing in the command worked. Doing that was much easier than deleting the card then reenabling it.

Thanks again for your help.
    OK, what you could consider now is putting that command into your /etc/init.d/boot.local file, to run every time you boot.

ie add at the end of the /etc/init.d/boot.local file the line:
    rcalsasound restart

Hey there.

I put the command at the end of my /etc/init.d/boot.local file like you suggested and restarted my computer to see if worked. I can hear the music that the system plays when Suse starts up, but when I go to Amarok and try to listen to music, I don't hear anything.

Is there another command I can use so that I can hear the music from Amarok also?

Thank you again for your help.

Blog Entries

I wonder if this is an amarok issue? Or whether you have the required multimedia codecs installed? Are you using the packman version?

What is the output of

rpm -qa |grep amarok
    What repos do you have enabled?

zypper lr --details
    If I do (with openSUSE 11.0):

zypper info amarok
    I get

Information for package amarok:

Repository: Packman Repository
    Name: amarok
    Version: 1.4.10-100.pm.1
    Arch: i586
    Vendor: packman.links2linux.de
    Installed: Yes
    Installed Size: 9.1 M
    Summary: Media Player for KDE
    Just some possible ideas...

Blog Entries

Is there another command I can use so that I can hear the music from Amarok also?
    Further to deano_ferrari's excellent post and request for information, please note that Amarok-1.4.10 has a menu item Settings > configure Amarok > Engine where one can select the sound engine that Amarok uses. I suspect Amarok-2 has something similar.

One can typically choose the xine or the yauap engine. The xine engine as packaged by Novell/SuSE-GmbH is typically crippled for most proprietary audio codecs (such as mp3) and to play mp3 with xine (and hence play with Amarok with the xine engine) one needs to replace the Novell/SuSE-GmbH libxine1 with the Pacman packaged libxine1.

I do not use yauap engine, but I believe the same applies there, where one needs to replace an application for the yauap engine to handle proprietary codecs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast