Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Nvidia drivers on OpenSUSE 11.2 Milestone5 ??

Default Installing Nvidia drivers on OpenSUSE 11.2 Milestone5 ??

Can anyone walk me through the process for getting these drivers installed on OpenSUSE 11.2 Milestone5 from start to finish. I have added the kernel stuff, gcc, and make. I have tried to run the sh Nvidia thing but I get kernel errors and nothing happens.

I have used information from a previous thread but to no success. If you were able to successfully install these from a fresh install for OpenSUSE w/ Gnome, please walk me through how you did so.

Thanks

Default Re: Installing Nvidia drivers on OpenSUSE 11.2 Milestone5 ??

Install kernel-default/desktop-devel, install make and gcc. If you have those then press Alt+Ctrl+F1, login as user, then su, type /etc/init.x/xdm stop, go to the directory with the drivers and type sh <nvidia-drivers>.run -q, after installing type sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia. After making sure everything is fine type /etc/init.d/xdm start and voila.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

As I stated in my first post, this does not work. I get errors when trying to install the drivers. These errors are:

"No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site; this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for your kernel."

<ok>

"ERROR: The kernel header file '/user/src/linux/include/linux/version.h' does not exit. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in '/usr/src/linux' have not been configured."

<ok>

"ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com"

Please advise.

Install kernel-headers and make sure you got the latest drivers 185.18.31

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    Install kernel-headers and make sure you got the latest drivers 185.18.31
    The latest drivers will support my older card?

What card you got?

What card you got?
    GE Force FX5600 in this computer.

You need the 173.xx.xx version of drivers.

You need the 173.xx.xx version of drivers.
    That's the drivers I have been trying to install and have been getting those errors, and still getting those errors. kernel-headers were already installed.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast