Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Motherboard

Default Upgrading Motherboard

I have a few questions. I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard. What I want is a dual CPU motherboard that can handle dual 64 bit dual processors. Would Suse be able to handle this ok?

Now what I want to do is use all the hardware I have now. I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 4400 (I just put into this computer,) I also have an AMD 64x2 4000 (Use to be in this computer.) I would like a motherboard that would work with those as well as my memory.

Computer Info;

Compaq Presario SR5123WM... It would just be easier to link to the motherboard specs

Motherboard Specifications, MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)*

So the questions I have are these:

1 - Would this work with Suse?
    2 - Would I be able to have two slightly different CPU's, the 4000 and 4400, or would they have to be exact?
    3 - Any suggestions on a cost efficient, but not cheaply made, dual CPU, dual core 64x2 mother boards that use DDR2 SDRAM. At least 8GB max Ram, or more, would be nice.

I would need at least one (two would be great) PCI-E x16 slots as well as the features of my current motherboard or close to it. Also what watt power supply would go good with it. I currently have is a 400 watt.

The reason why I don't want to buy a huge amount and use what I have is because I am limited on how much I can spend. So I cannibalize computer parts often, when I can and if they are worth the hassle. Amazing what people throw to the curb, lol.

My Current Specs are
    Compaq Presario
    * Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS MCP61PM-HM
    * HP/Compaq name: Nettle2-GL8E
    Award BIOS
    4GB RAM PC2 6400
    Nvidia 8400GS (PCI-E x16)
    400 Watt PSU
    Card Reader (CompactFlash Card type I, CompactFlash Card type II, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Microdrive, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SmartMedia Card, Memory Stick Duo, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO Duo, miniSD, RS-MMC, MultiMediaCardmobile, MultiMediaCardplus)
    4 Sata HD's, one sata DVD/CD dl rwr, one IDE HD
    I think that covers all of the relevant info. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrading Motherboard

I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 4400
    But this is a dual core?!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes but I want to use two CPUs on one motherboard that are each duel core. I am trying to use the hardware I have and only buying the motherboard.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    Yes but I want to use two CPUs on one motherboard that are each duel core. I am trying to use the hardware I have and only buying the motherboard.
    Is that possible? I'm not up to speed with such a set up.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Is that possible? I'm not up to speed with such a set up.

Honestly I am not sure. Most people just get duel core, quad core, etc. I don't see why not but I might be missing something. If it can be done I want to do it just to do it, lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse amd64x2
    caf4926;2026090 Wrote:
    > Is that possible? I'm not up to speed with such a set up.

Honestly I am not sure. Most people just get duel core, quad core, etc.
    I don't see why not but I might be missing something. If it can be done
    I want to do it just to do it, lol.
    Hi
    Not sure how a dual cpu motherboard would handle mismatched cpu's, it
    may work if the FSB is the same otherwise one may overclock and be
    unstable.

Are those cpu's socket 939 or AM2?

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 9 days 19:39, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.28, 0.36
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

Both are AM2. The 4000+ clocks at 2100 and the 4400 clocks at 2300. Looking at the specs that is the only difference. Everything else is identical with both processors.

it should be possible but your fastest CPU will downclock to match your slower one, so 2300 MHz -> 2100 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    it should be possible but your fastest CPU will downclock to match your slower one, so 2300 MHz -> 2100 MHz
    I can live with that. Having two duel core 64 cpu's would make up for the 200MHz difference. I just want to make sure it works well with Suse and that I can find a decent motherboard. I have been looking at Bestbuy and Newegg so far and they either don't have what I am looking for or I am missing it.

actually, it'll be 400 MHz since both cores in the 2300 MHz CPU will clock down, so 200 + 200 = 400

if it for some reasons doesn't work, you can still buy at discount somewhere a matching CPU

btw, if you have an older spare dual core CPU, send it ova!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast