Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: usb turntable and Audacity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default usb turntable and Audacity

    I got an Ion usb turntable to rip vinyl. I'm running 11.1 with kde 4.3. Audacity sees a usb hardware device on the device toolbar, but does not list it among the options as a recording source. This is Audacity 1.3.8.

    lsusb shows it. yast shows it. Nothing on the audacity site helped (it seemed more like an ubuntu site anyway). Has anyone got this to work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: usb turntable and Audacity

    Hi Prexy. Assuming its recognised and configured via yast, then I can only suggest reading this Audacity USB turntbable troubleshooting guide. I apologise in advance if you've already done this.

    An article that may be of interest yo you:

    Linux.com :: Digitizing records and tapes with Audacity

    I'll be interested in following this one myself.

  3. #3

    Default Re: usb turntable and Audacity

    Is there an audio mixer (kmixer) in KDE 4.3? It's not unusual, for me, to have a channel incorrectly set in any desktop I use.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default Re: usb turntable and Audacity

    I've tried all three suggestions and none worked.

    I made a little progress by uninstalling audacity which was at the latest beta (1.3.8, I think.) I then installed the only other version listed in yast, which was a 1.3.5 beta. That got me to the point where it would record, literally, 0.6 seconds and then lock up. I saw this as a bug on an audacity site but didn't follow it since it didn't apply to the later beta which I was using at the time.

    I sort of solved the problem. It leads me to believe that my system is just underpowered. There is the option to listen to the tracks while you record. It is called playthrough. That is the behavior I prefer. However, it made the recording choppy and worthless. By disabling playthrough, it records properly, but only if I use a lower sampling rate.

    In the meantime, I tried running this through a Vista laptop. I can't tell you how that works because I have done 4 solid hours of updates that would have taken opensuse 4 minutes

    Each reboot takes about 10 minutes to get the laptop in a useful state. AAAAARRGH!!!! ok... I'll try it now and see if it works. I wish I could do this in opensuse.... and put the stuff on the ipod.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •