View Poll Results: Are you currently using Windows 7 RC?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 26.92%
  • No

    76 73.08%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Windows 7 RC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    321

    Default Windows 7 RC

    Simple poll. How many are currently trying the Windows 7 RC? If you have any thoughts on it please post them here.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    I am going to start. It was fast to install, which was a surprise to me. It boots fast. Seems to run smoother and faster then Vista.

    Aero, still sucks. Kde 4.3/Plasma/Compiz has blow past Aero easy.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego (California)
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    I received just yesterday an email from my University system manager saying that Windows7 is available for local download for all staff and grad students. So my first thought was "who wants that cr*p anyway?!". But i might download it in case i need it in the future for work.

    I have a friend that installed it recently on a brand new toshiba laptop (dual core, intel), replacing Vista with it. Before installing he was very enthusiastic and optimistic but afterward he was very disappointed and reported an overall performance that - according to him - was not significantly better than Vista. Not sure how carefully he tested it though.
    ~ There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't. ~

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/belgium
    Posts
    1,946

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    why would I need Windows?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    Quote Originally Posted by G0NZ0 View Post
    I received just yesterday an email from my University system manager saying that Windows7 is available for local download for all staff and grad students. So my first thought was "who wants that cr*p anyway?!". But i might download it in case i need it in the future for work.

    I have a friend that installed it recently on a brand new toshiba laptop (dual core, intel), replacing Vista with it. Before installing he was very enthusiastic and optimistic but afterward he was very disappointed and reported an overall performance that - according to him - was not significantly better than Vista. Not sure how carefully he tested it though.
    Comparing a few things to Suse, or a lot of distro's for that matter, it still seems like a resource hog to me but nothing like Vista was. From what I understand anyone can download it up until the 30th of this month.

    I am comparing Windows 7 to Vista as well as Suse right now. I hated Vista so much I was like many others who upgraded to XP at one point. I have high hopes for Linux, Suse especially. I see it passing Windows in the future, eventually.

    It is also limited considering all the options one gets with Linux. If I want to run a 3D game that is heavy on graphics I can boot into IceWM. On vista you have to change the Aero settings, etc.

    This is what Vista should have been. Seems like Vista was the beta for Windows 7, and people got screwed having to pay for it.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    why would I need Windows?
    Then you can brag about how much better Suse is compared to it. How painful it was running Windows 7 and how happy you where getting back to Suse

    Or you can confuse Microsoft and tell them bugs exist when they dont, lol.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/belgium
    Posts
    1,946

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    Then you can brag about how much better Suse is compared to it. How painful it was running Windows 7 and how happy you where getting back to Suse

    Or you can confuse Microsoft and tell them bugs exist when they dont, lol.
    So basically, what you're saying is that Windows only serves as a point for comparison, right? If so, it's even more useless to me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    I need to use it for work. It's better than vista but still very resource hungry.

    With any luck it'll be a flop like windows millenium and windows vista. Every little bit of encouragement for Linux uptake helps.

    FYI my wholesaler reports that the demand for vista licences with the xp downgrade is as strong as ever.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    321

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that Windows only serves as a point for comparison, right? If so, it's even more useless to me

    It is much more then that. It is a very good Wine emulator.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/belgium
    Posts
    1,946

    Default Re: Windows 7 RC

    Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    It is much more then that. It is a very good Wine emulator.
    But Wine is used to "emulate" Windows applications and I have no need for those. Again, useless for me

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •