Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost user login and user home directories

Default Lost user login and user home directories

I have lost the ability to login into my OS 11.1 system with any of my defined user logins. The system returns:

"Cannot enter home directory. Using /"

If I 'OK' this, the next message (in a sort of DOS box) is:

"kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails; the error code is 3. Check your installation"

If I OK this then I am represented with the original user logon panel.

This sequence is the same for all the users defined on the system

I can login as root. When I do so I notice that there are no user directories under /home

Is this recoverable? If so, how?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Default Re: Lost user login and user home directories

what changes were made to the system recently? For instance, did you change partition layout, encrypted partitions, installed another OS, updated kernel etc.. ?
    ~ There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't. ~

Quote Originally Posted by G0NZ0 View Post
    what changes were made to the system recently? For instance, did you change partition layout, encrypted partitions, installed another OS, updated kernel etc.. ?
    No, no changes of that sort; I did apply some changes which were claimed to improve performance, but the only ones that I can think would be in any involved were:

Used Yast to edit /etc/sysconfig to ensure that DMA was on for my hard drives. I specified this using /dev/hda, (i.e I used /dev/hda:udma5) when it should have been /dev/sda

I edited /etc/fstab to add 'noatime, nodiratime' to the ext3 declarations

I changed 'swappiness' from 60 to 10 via 'sudo sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10' and then added this line (stupidly, exactly that line) at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf

I disabled some services with Yast, none of which seemed to be relevant to this problem (for example, disabling support for Bluetooth)

Other changes were to options in OpenOffice, and removing screen-saver

btw, you say "~ There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't. ~" - what happened to the other 14 ?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Blog Entries

You should boot without the splash screen to see why it fails to mount /home.

I bet you broke /etc/fstab with your edit. You could have a look through to see if something is obviously wrong. For one thing there should be no whitespace inside the options list. So it should be noatime,nodiratime, not noatime, nodiratime.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You should boot without the splash screen to see why it fails to mount /home.

I bet you broke /etc/fstab with your edit. You could have a look through to see if something is obviously wrong. For one thing there should be no whitespace inside the options list. So it should be noatime,nodiratime, not noatime, nodiratime.
    You are absolutely right -I know I put a space after the comma.

How do I boot without the splash screen?

Blog Entries

Don't worry about that now, just go to one of the virtual consoles with Ctrl-Alt-Fn where n is 1 to 6 and edit /etc/fstab with a CLI editor if you can use one. Or login as root at the GUI and do the required.

AS I observed about an hour ago in another thread, it's the quality of the people and the support they provide that makes this forum and this distribution stand out....

So, thank so much. I'm up and running agaiin, so now I can go to bed early and sleep instead of panic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XEyedBear View Post
    So, thank so much. I'm up and running agaiin, so now I can go to bed early and sleep instead of panic.
    A pleasure, mate. Have a good sleep.

One thing I learnt is not to do anything critical close to bedtime. Unless one is insomniac and needs the distraction.

goldie NNTP User

> Or login as root at the GUI and do the required.

never required.

--
    goldie

Blog Entries

Except if you can't login as yourself because /home is not mounted so the GUI won't start for you, and don't know how to use the CLI, which is really something fixable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast