Internet is very slow compared to XP

I just installed SUSE 11.1 on my second PC, my first PC has XP (Giving it a go on converting to Linux). The linux box will take 3X longer to get to a website compared to the windows box (its doesn’t matter if I used firefox or konqueuer). Both PCs goes through the same dlink rounter. It seems like at the bottom screen of Firefox “Looking up websiteName…” takes a while. Than downloading the website’s images takes a while compared to XP. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Open Yast -> Network Devices ->Network Settings and in Global Options tab Uncheck Enable IPv6
hope it works!

Also in FF, type about:config in the address bar, press enter then search for disable ipv6. Double click to set value to true if currently set to false.

There was two things that I had to do in order to get fast internet. Basically get rid of the IPV6. As it was mentioned in Yast>Network Devices>NetworkSettings>Global Options>IPV6 Protocol Settings>Enabled IPV6… Unchecked it. I also had to go to Network Devices>NetworkSettings>Address>Dynamic Address> (select) DHCP Version 4 only.

Thank you everyone. I see where converting from Windows to Linux will be an interesting adventure.

Not sure as to your Linux knowledge … you might find this basic concepts guide of help: Concepts - openSUSE

Reference converting, since Windows is the most popular OS in the world, and since its likely you obtained an OEM version with your 2nd PC (that you have already paid for), if you have not removed Windoze already, my recommendation is to always dual boot and keep this MS-Windoze hanging around. Maybe signficantly reduce its disk space, and remove most of its applications, but keep it around. One never knows when it might come in handy, from loading some stubborn web page (that crashes Linux firefox), to running some fav Windoze app that does not have a Linux equivalent, to performing a BIOS update where the manufacturer of the hardare (having the BIOS updated) never provided a Linux program to update the BIOS, to checking for a hardware failure with an independant OS, … to many other reasons.

Best wishes in your openSUSE Linux experience.

I keep mine for no reason other than the fact that my box is still on warranty, and if there were reason to return and replace it, I fear that having removed Windows would not fall in the manufacturer’s “normal usage” and cancel the warranty.

This is always a good idea.

When I purchased my Dell Studio 15 laptop, I asked if I would void my warantee if I replaced Vista with openSUSE Linux. The answer I got was they supported Vista and Ubuntu, not openSUSE. The person I asked was not certain about the hardware warantee in such a case, but they thought the hardware was still covered.

When I purchased my Intel Core i7 920 (from a local PC shop) with NO operating system on it, I asked if they would honour the warantee if I put openSUSE Linux on it, instead of an MS-Windows OS. They answered that if I bought MS-Windows from them, and if I put that MS-Windows OS on it (Vista or XP) they would come to my apartment to fix any problems as part of their warantee !! … but if I put openSUSE Linux OS on it (with no MS-Windows) they would only honour the warantee if I brought the PC into their shop (ie no on site support for Linux, but in shop support). It looks like their inhouse Linux guru does not make field trips. :slight_smile:

Its an interesting area, I find, to ask questions.

You’ll probably also want to disable beagle:

Disabling Beagle - openSUSE

Cheers

I will also chime what oldcpu said on the matter, and also say that not all linuxes need this sort of configuration.
IPV6 is something that can be an issue for some, this is more based on your ISP then on your OS though.
I personally do find it odd that OpenSuse enables IPV6 like this, and it can cause slowdowns but its something that can be fixed.
its a very minor gripe to say the least though
But on the flip side its nice that IPV6 support right there in your face, and one can turn it off/on at will.