Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE4 "activities"

Default KDE4 "activities"

I must be a bit thick but I can't figure out what these are supposed to be for and how they work. They're not documented on the KDE website. Would anyone care to explain for the benefit of thicksculls like me, or at least point us towards some documentation? A quick google didn't yield much either...

Default Re: KDE4 "activities"

+1. I came across them when setting up KDE4 for a different wallpaper on each of the four desktops. At some point I got a fifth activity and I am unable to delete it. If any one can explain how to delete it when there is no button to do that, but there is one to add an activity, it would be helpful. Using KDE 4.3 (RC). Probably so simple that I overlook it.

Hi,

KDE4 Activities are merely what you would refer to as a Desktop or a Desktop Containment. In KDE4 you can have different activities running at the same time. If you click on the "cashew" at the top right corner and click Zoom Out, you'll see all the activities you have.

For instance, say you use 4 desktops at a time. If you click the zoom out then choose Configure Plasma... You can choose to have a different activity for each desktop. This will let you have a different look for each desktop (Desktop 1 could have foldier view, Desktop 2 could be Desktop, Desktop 3 could be Plain Desktop, Desktop 4 could be another Plain Desktop but with different widgets). Each Desktop Containment will have its own widgets on it and can have its own background. Of course you don't need to use these features, but they're there if you want to. So desktop activities are individual containments that you can customize and configure however you like.

I believe that's the basics of it. If I've missed anything feel free to ask or someone else may provide more information.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    +1. I came across them when setting up KDE4 for a different wallpaper on each of the four desktops. At some point I got a fifth activity and I am unable to delete it. If any one can explain how to delete it when there is no button to do that, but there is one to add an activity, it would be helpful. Using KDE 4.3 (RC). Probably so simple that I overlook it.
    Make sure widgets are unlocked. Then zoom out to view all activities. Then zoom in to the one you want to delete to make it active. Then zoom out and you should now be able to delete it (there will be a red X).

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Make sure widgets are unlocked. Then zoom out to view all activities. Then zoom in to the one you want to delete to make it active. Then zoom out and you should now be able to delete it (there will be a red X).

Take Care,

Ian
    Thanks Ian. BTW good description of activities, I had a rough idea but not confident to explain it well for the OP. I missed the zooming in and out, so never saw the red cross. Cheers.

'Activities' are all part of getting away from the 1980s model of a desktop with folders on it and back to the idea of a window on your world. If you look at the different windows in your house, you will normally get different views and different activities taking place outside them.

You can now configure your computer so that you get a different view, or window onto, a different activity for which you use your computer.
    Last edited by john_hudson; 10-Aug-2009 at 15:00. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    'Activities' are all part of getting away from the 1980s model of a desktop with folders on it and back to the idea of a window on your world. If you look at the different windows in your house, you will normally get different views and different activities taking place outside them.
    This is really a very simple and understandable example.
    Good one. +1
    Thanks
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

I've seen these metaphors before but I really needed to know how it works and what it does. If I understand Ian correctly, it's basically the same as the different workspaces, BUT with different backgrounds and different widgets for each?

@john_hudson

Great way to put it! Definitely captures the essence of what the activities are suppose to do.

@gminnerup

Precisely! Each activity is a personalized workspace, if you will. They aren't called workspaces, as workspaces are a different term, but they are basically just the widgets and background for a workspace. As I said before, you can have one for each workspace or you can have only one and have it on each workspace. You can even have two and then switch between them using the zoom in and out function.

Take Care,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    You can even have two and then switch between them using the zoom in and out function.
    Or the activity switcher plasmoid.
    Took me ages to figure out what the hell that thing was for.

The, as yet experimental, netbook UI shows an example of how this can be used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast