Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Partition problems installing over Vista

Unhappy Partition problems installing over Vista

I've just installed openSUSE 11.1 using the 586 iso image on an Intel machine with very little trouble, so I downloaded the 64-bit version for another machine, an AMD Athlon 64 with Vista on a 160GB disk (C: and D: drives).

No luck with that, I'm afraid. I got as far as the "Preparing disks ..." stage, which took more than 40 minutes until I got the message "System error code -1012" (at 3% done).

I tried again, this time using the "Expert Partitioner", which revealed that almost half the disk had disappeared, and the rest was listed as Windows in NTFS partitions described as "Linux Native". Can't be both, surely? And no way to get at the missing 62GB.

Back to Vista . It booted OK, and I could see that the missing 62GB is "unused". So I formatted it as NTFS (no choice), and tried to install SUSE again.

This time I got to "System Analysis", "Searching for Linux Partitions" -- should take at most a few milliseconds on a bad day -- showing 60% complete for more than 90 minutes, by which time the spinning cursor was frozen and no progress made.

Didn't know what to do next, so went back to Vista again and started this thread.

Please help.

[I have screenshots if anyone wants to see them.]

Question Re: Partition problems installing over Vista

One more question:

On the Intel 586 SUSE machine, which runs perfectly well, the disk devices are all listed as /dev/sdx. But I expected them to be /dev/hdx, and that "s" meant SCSI.

That machine has no SCSI drives, so what's going on?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Partition problems installing over Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
    One more question:

On the Intel 586 SUSE machine, which runs perfectly well, the disk devices are all listed as /dev/sdx. But I expected them to be /dev/hdx, and that "s" meant SCSI.

Nothing special. This has changed a while ago in the kernel. Now all hdd's are /dev/sdX and CD/DVD drives are /dev/srX
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thumbs up Re: Partition problems installing over Vista

Thank you, Knurpht. I've been away from Linux for a few years, but it's good to be back. (It would be even better to get my Athlon machine running, of course.)

[I'll be in Groningen next month for a few days. Got any tourist tips for me?]

Blog Entries

There should be no reason why it should not install. Have you run the media check from the dvd menu?
    I always prepare my discs with Parted magic. And create the partitioning I want.
    Have you got a dvd for vista? Just in case!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    There should be no reason why it should not install. Have you run the media check from the dvd menu?
    I'm glad you asked me that. It failed, but the installation carried on regardless. The successful installation on the other machine was also from an iso image which failed the media check.

(It takes my "broad"band all night to download a 4GB image, hence my eagerness to also press on regardless.)
    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I always prepare my discs with Parted magic. And create the partitioning I want.
    Have you got a dvd for vista? Just in case!
    I've decided to set up the partitions using the live 64-bit version, which I've just downloaded and burnt (it's only 681MB). Is this a good strategy? I have partitioned disks before, years ago, usually with RedHat or OS/2 Warp (RIP).

I have Vista back-up discs, plus a recovery partition. Yes, I know the recovery partition is not guaranteed to survive either. Can't say I'd miss Vista in any case -- the worst Windoze version yet, and that's saying something. And I've backed up all my data to external hard-disks, twice.

Wish me luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
    One more question:

Correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge SATA hard drives are reconiced as sdx drives and IDE (PATA) drives as hdx drives.
    "To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter1979 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge SATA hard drives are reconiced as sdx drives and IDE (PATA) drives as hdx drives.
    I don't know. The machine is 2002-vintage. All the drives are IDE. I never even heard of SATA until last week, and PATA five minutes ago.

Blog Entries

IDE is the same as PATA (PATA being the correct term) but it's not important we know what you mean.
    My laptop HAD Vista. Need I say more. Worthless junk IMO, others may not agree of course.

I can tell you Vista service packs will not install if grub is on the MBR. You can install grub to / (root) making root the partition with the bootable flag.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Unhappy Re: Partition problems installing over Vista

OK, I booted the SUSE Live CD, and it media-checked OK.

Tried to use it, as planned, to remap the 62GB of free space I had previously formatted under Vista with NTFS. Using the Yast partition tool I split it into Swap (swap), root (ext3), and home (ext3) and then clicked Finish.

Error -1012, unable to mount HP. HP is the label of the 160GB disk in the HP fs7000 base unit as delivered. And the disk layout is screwed up again, so that the 62GB mentioned above is once again invisible, as it was after I got the original error in post #1. Amazingly, Vista still boots and works -- as well as it ever did.

I have no idea how to proceed now.

Unless it's possible to repartition and format the free space with a Linux filesystem from within Vista. Is that possible? If so, is it advisable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast