Sound issue -- Intel Hda

I have sound problem with openSUSE 11.1 32bit. No sound from the box.
I have Intel audio card. Did kernel upgrade, but with no luck.
Any work around.
Thanks.

@oldcpu is your man for sound.
Check in Desktop Config you have Intel as prefered and using alsa
http://thumbnails14.imagebam.com/4466/47c27444653394.gif](ImageBam)

Check kmix channel is set to master
Check the audio trouble shooter

(Did you solve the memory issue?)

Thanks caf for the fast reply.
I am working on the memory problem, As i am using wifi in university. Its slow…takes time to download the things.
In the place,(the image you posted), there is no Alsa for me. let me try to install it from yast.
Will be back in a while.
I am also thinking of compiling new kernel(2.6.30.4), just in this hope that it will solve most of the issues for me. As i used 11.2 M3 on this laptop, there was no sound issue that time. Because of some other issues, i switch back to 11.1 from 11.2.

My experience is users who compile a new kernel themselves are more like to break sound than fix it.

You could try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

When testing if you have sound, please copy and paste the following speaker-test into a Gnome terminal or a kde konsole:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
Note Linux is case sensitive, and “D” is not the same as “d”. To stop the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press <CTRL><C> on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings (kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and Master Volume are set around 95%. Once you have basic sound established you can back off to lower volume levels. Note the test for surround sound is different.

If that test yields errors (and its not uncommon to get errors there), try instead this more simple test: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavYou should hear a female voice saying ‘FRONT LEFT’, ‘FRONT RIGHT’ five times. Its quite common that one of those speaker tests will work and one will NOT work, so don’t be distressed if that is the case. IF that test gives sound, stop now, post that the sound test gives sound, and we will look at other possible causes for your applications not giving you the sound you want (such as missing codecs, using the wrong packaged version … etc … ).

Try those speaker-tests as both a regular user, and with root permissions. If you have a headset, try with your headset plugged in, and also with your headset not plugged in (for speakers).

Assuming after your trying to get sound working, after having gone through each applicable step in the troubleshooting guide, and if still no sound, can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? If using openSUSE-11.1, you can do that, with your PC connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and typing “su” (no quotes - enter root password) and then and typing and executing twice :
/usr/sbin/alsa-info.shthe first time it will ask to update. Select YES for the update. The second time that will run a diagnostic script and post the output to a web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output: rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound… with that information I may be able to make a recommendation (as opposed to a guess).

Thanks oldcpu the detailed reply.
As you mentioned the 1st command throws errors like:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is plug:front
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy

2nd one:

linux-30vu:/home/anl # speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
Period size range from 32 to 349526
Using max buffer size 1048576
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 262144
was set buffer_size = 1048576
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
speaker-test: pcm_pulse.c:361: pulse_write: Assertion `pcm->stream’ failed.
Aborted

Tried with headset and without headset, but no luck.

This is URL for the conf file:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=6834411c5767fdb7587f9c7ca77c90d05575bae0

linux-30vu:/home/anl # rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.12
alsa-firmware-1.0.17-1.42
alsa-oss-1.0.17-1.37
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-584.132
alsa-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-6.12

linux-30vu:/home/anl # rpm -qa | grep pulse
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.12-9.6
libpulsecore4-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.12-9.6
libpulse0-0.9.12-9.6
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.12-9.6
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.12
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.12-9.6
libpulse-browse0-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.12-9.6
libxine1-pulse-1.1.15-20.8
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.12-9.6

linux-30vu:/home/anl # rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.18-8.7

linux-30vu:/home/anl # uname -a
Linux linux-30vu 2.6.27.25-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

linux-30vu:/home/anl # cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.sgM5+Zagk53:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

linux-30vu:/home/anl # rpm -q alsa alsa-utils alsa-firmware
alsa-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
alsa-firmware-1.0.17-1.42

Also followed the link, which you posted above. Did all the tests, but still no sound.

OK, openSUSE-11.1 with the 2.6.27.25 kernel and the Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X

Hmmm … I believe you read it, but did not follow it. The link I provided provides guidance on updating alsa. But clearly, since you still have 1.0.17 and 1.0.18 of alsa, you did not do that.

As above, I note your PC has the IDT 92HD71B7X hardware audio codec. That was broken by the 2.6.27.25 kernel and the alsa packager for openSUSE put out an alsa update that works with the updated kernel (and I reference those updates in the guide), and if you had updated per the guide, then I believe you may have been able to get your sound working again.

I concede the guide is confusing here, and I will update the guide this weekend.

Anyway, if you go here:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

for detailed instructions to update alsa it will send you here:
Alsa-update - openSUSE

Please update alsa per your kernel version ( 2.6.27.25-0.1-pae ) and your openSUSE version, sending 6 ( !! ) zypper commands per that guide. Not 3 . 6 commands. If you are not clear as to what those 6 commands are, BEFORE you attempt an update, please advise. If you are totally confused on this, please advise and I will copy and paste the 6 command for you.

Now after that update, and after rebooting, if that does not work, then if you look at the bottom of the alsa update page, there is a link to another update page for “daily snapshots”. You can then go there and try those updates. Alsa-update-snapshot - openSUSE

Again, as before, please update alsa per your kernel version ( 2.6.27.25-0.1-pae ) and your openSUSE version, sending 6 ( !! ) zypper commands per that guide. Not 3 . 6 commands. If you are not clear as to what those 6 commands are, BEFORE you attempt an update, please advise. If you are totally confused on this, please advise and I will copy and paste the 6 command for you.

Apologies for any confusion in the guide. I’ll do a hack job on it later today, pointing CLEARLY to those links, and I’ll remove its confusing examples.

Sorry for the late reply.
I did follow some of the hints in the pages given. But this one really works, at least now i have sound.

Alsa-update - openSUSE

Did alsaconf in konsole and start kmix. Now i have sound.
But still i have a few issues with sound, hope to find any help on it:
1- I am using SMplayer for audio/video, it works fine, but whenever i switch to headphone, then no sound. For this i have to open kmix and raise/down the volume to work. and it works after this and same with when removing headphone. By plugging in, by default it have to switch the volume to headphone or internal speaker. but it doesn’t. Not sure why?
And if i pause it, it just hangs…i mean the sound. There is repeated sound until i stop it or play it.

2- If i perform a test in yast->hardware->sound.
No test sound from there. (Some thing interesting).

3- Still i can’t hear sound in browser.

Thanks for your time.

So your headphone works, but it just needs a volume adjustment? Thats a problem? What am I missing?

What do you mean by repeated sound? Reads almost like an interupt problem. Its possible we may need to apply a setting in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file (such as enable_msi=1 to address - possibly this is bug writing territory).

Thats a known bug. It does not work for many sound cards. i recommend you do not apply much consideration into that. ie its not a problem with your config.

Thats probably a separate issue. What browser? (I know - its intuitively obvious to you - but not to me). What web sites did you try? (I know - its intuitively obvious to you - but not to me). Did you try the browser IMMEDIATELY after a clean start (having checked first to ensure mixer is not muted). …

Yup, this is what i mean. The same happen when unplug it.

Its like interrupt sound from the player, until close the player OR press stop OR play button.

Ok. Will be not bothered.

Browser: Firefox3.5.2
Websites: youtube.com , bollywoodhungama.com
I tried after the clean start too, close the browser and also do a restart(browser, system). But still no sound.

Ok, this is a wild stab in the dark, … but its worth a try. Please open an editor with root permissions to edit /etc/modprobe.d/sound file. You can do that in

• gnome with: gnomesu ‘gedit /etc/modprobe.d/sound’

• kde with: **kdesu ‘kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/sound’ **
    and change your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, adding a line at the start so it looks like this:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.sgM5+Zagk53:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel 

then restart your PC and test your sound. Does that help?

If it makes it worse, then remove the line.

We could also look at updating your alsa configuration, as there are some recent updates for your PC’s IDT 92HD71B7X hardware audio codec. I can give you the commands for that (to download rpms from the multimedia repositories) but first, lets see if “enable_msi=1” helps.

Wow…wow…wow
Every thing works like a dream now.
This does the trick.

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

Headphone, internal speaker, pause, stop, play, no interrupt sound, no hang in vlc player too. browser sound works.
Till now, no issues anymore(hope so for further).

Million thanks for the support and help.

I am a new linux user, and I also have a problem with my sound. I tried all you wrote and nothing seems to be wrong with the response I get, but the sound still doesn’t work.:’(

If your sound card is different it makes no sense to try what I had above. My suggestions were specific to user mmarif4u.

Please start a NEW thread (this one is solved) and I’ll try to help you.