Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make apps share audio device and play without breaks

Default how to make apps share audio device and play without breaks

hi,
    i figured it's best to start a new topic. here's the thing. i can play sound only in one application at a time. if i play youtube and audacious at the same time either youtube has no sound or audacious hangs, if i play vlc and audacious sthe sound is noisy. i think it's not normal, and before reistalling OpenSUSE i was able to listen to youtube videos without quitting my audio player and vice versa.

the output of
    Code:
     lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*
    after starting the system is:
    Code:
    COMMAND    PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    pulseaudi 4145 user   16u   CHR  116,7      0t0 3672 /dev/snd/controlC0
    pulseaudi 4145 user   22u   CHR  116,7      0t0 3672 /dev/snd/controlC0
    mixer_app 4197 user   21u   CHR  116,7      0t0 3672 /dev/snd/controlC0
    is this ok? i mean pulseaudio. i've read that alsa is default and i'd like to use this plugin in vlc and audacious.

after starting audacious the output looks like this:

Code:
    audacious 4507 user   10u   CHR   14,0      0t0 8363 /dev/mixer
    audacious 4507 user   13w   CHR   14,3      0t0 8448 /dev/dsp
    in audacious i have to use OSS plugin, with alsa it makes scratchy noises when playing. same thing in vlc. either way in audacious mp3 sometimes start with a loud scratch which wasn't the case before.

Blog Entries

Default Re: how to make apps share audio device and play without bre

Quote Originally Posted by crystalnewbie View Post
    in audacious i have to use OSS plugin, with alsa it makes scratchy noises when playing. same thing in vlc
    OSS does not share the sound device. It uses the device exclusively.

The alsa API will share the sound device.

That is one reason why the Linux developers have been pushing to develope pulse audio and have it adopted. However pulse audio is still buggy and many application developers do not support it.

Some openSUSE sound concepts: Sound-concepts - openSUSE

yes, i know that now. thanks. what i meant was how to make apps use alsa without scratchy noises and breaks. since pulse is still buggy i'd prefer alsa.

Blog Entries

yes, i know that now. thanks. what i meant was how to make apps use alsa without scratchy noises and breaks. since pulse is still buggy i'd prefer alsa.
    Typically alsa apps are scratchy because the speakers are being over-driven. One needs to go to YaST > Hardware > Sound > Other > Volume and move down PCM, Master, Speaker volume settings (as applicable) to 65% or so (although for some sound cards this is too low as sound won't be heard), and then close YaST and go to one's mixer (kmix or alsamixer) and tune the volume settings there in PCM, Master and Speaker (as applicable) and possibly some surround sound volume controls, until one achieves a level that is optimal. Iterations are almost always necessary to find an optimal setting.

If no matter what is attempted, the sound is still scratchy, then one if one has the latest 1.0.20 of alsa (per the troubleshooting guide's alsa update section: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE ) then one is into bug reporting territory, in trying to get either an openSUSE packager/dev or an alsa dev to look at the issue. For raising bugs on openSUSE: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE (being certain to raise bug against component "sound" )

thanks, i'll try that and report back later.
    pulseaudio loading at boot shouldn't bother me?

well, it didn't work. sound is scratchy no matter what level pcm or master is on. i use

alsa-1.0.18-8.7
    alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
    alsa-firmware-1.0.17-1.42

in alsamixer chip and card are pulseaudio. is that correct? and alsa doesnt load on boot only pulseaudio. is it suppose to be like that?

Typically alsa apps are scratchy because the speakers are being over-driven.
    it's hard to believe that this is the case. do many people report such problems with alsa? how come some of them manage to play sound without scratches? from what i can see on my computer it's not related to pcm or master volume, breaks and scratches occur even at 50.

Blog Entries

well, it didn't work. sound is scratchy no matter what level pcm or master is on. i use
    ok - noted

alsa-1.0.18-8.7
    alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
    alsa-firmware-1.0.17-1.42
    ok, 1.0.17/1.0.18, and I posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    If no matter what is attempted, the sound is still scratchy, then one if one has the latest 1.0.20 of alsa (per the troubleshooting guide's alsa update section: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE )
    ok, so you do not have the latest 1.0.20 nor have you followed the troubleshooting guide I linked. Do you need detailed help to follow the alsa update referenced in that guide?

in alsamixer chip and card are pulseaudio. is that correct?
    I don't know what you mean.
    and alsa doesnt load on boot only pulseaudio. is it suppose to be like that?
    No. alsa loads on boot.

it's hard to believe that this is the case. do many people report such problems with alsa?
    Many users mistakenly over drive their speakers. Its very common.

how come some of them manage to play sound without scratches?
    Most do not have scratches. Most users have different hardware, which means different code inside the driver is applied.

from what i can see on my computer it's not related to pcm or master volume, breaks and scratches occur even at 50.
    50 ? what is 50 ?

ok, so you do not have the latest 1.0.20 nor have you followed the troubleshooting guide I linked. Do you need detailed help to follow the alsa update referenced in that guide?
    it would seem so. yast says unable to create repo from Index of /repositories/multimedia:/audio and after running alsa info script and getting this infor on kernel:

Kernel release: 2.6.27.7-9-pae
    Operating System: GNU/Linux
    Architecture: i686
    Processor: athlon
    SMP Enabled: Yes

i run commands for kernel 2.6.27.7_9.1-1.1-pae i386 GNU/Linux (openSUSE-11.1) from Alsa-update - openSUSE. i dont know if this was a good idea but driver seems to be not updated for i still have 1.0.18.

I don't know what you mean.
    what i meant was this: ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

ok, so alsa loads on boot. so it is not supposed to be here right? only pulseaudio?
    Code:
    50 ? what is 50 ?
    i meant pcm and master levels.

Blog Entries

If you provide the output of:
    uname -a
    I'll provide you the recommended commands to send to update your alsa version to 1.0.20.

Code:
    Linux 154-mi2-6 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast