yet another 'no sound in amarok'

yet another no sound in amarok

amarok and firefox produce no sound. so i read thru multiple ‘no sound in xxx’ posts.

i’m running an updated (as of 6 aug 09) suse 11.1
note that sound in suse10, ubuntu, et al, on the same h/w work just fine.

what i did:
tried amarok as installed and updated, on 1st run, it asked for the location of the music collection. i mounted the disk where the collection resides (read only, if it matters). all the files in the selected directory are .wav files.

two issues:

1. nothing displayed in the ‘entire collection’ window under the ‘collection’ tab. we’ll ignore this for the moment, as i can use the ‘files’ tab to surf to a particular file, click a file, and amarok says its playing.

2. no sound

speaker-test works great, but only as root.

i added the packman repos to s/w mgmt, clicked ‘filter repositories’, then clicked ‘Packman’. i then checked/installed the following:

amarok, amarok-xine, amarok-packman, libxine1, xine-ui, smplayer, mplayerplug-in, vlc, w32codec-all, libffmpeg0, ffmpeg, libquicktime0, libxvidcore4, xvidcore

yast reports all of these as having ‘pm’ in their installed version.

i ran alsaconfig, several loud pops in the headphones, other than that, no problems.

i ran alsamixer -c0, turned up and un-muted all but mic. before the packman install, this worked. after the install, it resulted in an error:

alsamixer at this point will not run:
function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

running applications->multimedia->sound mixer results in the loading cursor for about 30 sec (ps -ef shows /usr/bin/kmix -caption KMix -icon kmix), then kmix appears to exit.

run amarok, click settings, configure, engine, select xine as the sound engine, alsa as the output. a popup error msg says

unable to initialize any audio drivers
very often, amarok crashes at this point.

using auto as the output doesn’t help.

now, speaker-test crashes with

$ speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card ‘0’
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory

plus many other errors.

at this point, i think the sound system is completely hosed.

suggestions?

Check in Yast hardware sound
There is a enable pulse audio check box, don’t use it
The primary device in there (for me Intel) should be the same in Config Desktop - Multimedia
see:
http://thumbnails14.imagebam.com/4466/47c27444653394.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/47c27444653394/)

Check the backend tab there is set to xine also.

Might be worth a reboot too.

If you have not already done so, try adding your regular user to group “audio”. There is advice here as to how you do that (see step-6 : how to fix a permissions problem):
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - step-6 How to fix a permissions problem

Note, you should restart your PC after making that change so it has an effect.