Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing New Kernel / Hauppage HVR 3000

Default Installing New Kernel / Hauppage HVR 3000

Yippee! After several years of struggling trying to get this card to work, I have just read the following on Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3000 - LinuxTVWiki: "Kernels 2.6.28-rc1 and later have a working multiple frontend driver built in."

I am running 11.1/KDE3.5.10, with the original kernel, 2.6.27.25-0.1-pae, so I'm hoping that updating the kernel (to 2.6.30?) will fix the problem.

HOWEVER, I have never done this before, and I'm scared! I notice that there are 1-click install kernel packages in the openSUSE Build Service, but from reading I've done in the past, I don't believe it can be that simple!

I'd be very, very grateful for any guidance about the best, most up-to-date, idiot-proof (i.e. me-proof!) way of doing this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing New Kernel / Hauppage HVR 3000

What you could do, in order to gain some experience, is download the live CD for openSUSE-11.2 milestone5 Software.openSUSE.org , and do NOT install it to your hard drive, but rather just play with it, and see how it works with your Hauppage HVR3000. I assume you know how to do the md5sum check on the liveCD's iso file (before burning) and then burn at a slow speed on high quality media, do the media check, and then run the live CD.

It has a newer kernel version, and the 11.2 milestone5 may indicate to you whether it is worth the effort to play with 11.1's kernel version.

Also, if the 11.2 milestone5 does not work, you could even consider writting a bug report on it.

Still, if you decide to custom compile a kernel, we have some experts on this forum who can help you (but I am not one of them).

Great idea, Oldcpu. Thanks as always!

Also, thank you for all your support in the past on this issue. I've almost had this troublesome card working on occasions, but never quite made it. Let's hope this does it.

More trouble, I'm afraid.

I downloaded the Live CD successfully, and did a MD5 check, which was all OK.

I then burnt the ISO using k3B. When I do a media check, it fails the MD5 checksum.

I think it may be due to k3B only allowing "auto" or "10x" write speed.

Can anyone recommend how to change this, or an alternative CD burner?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlyn View Post
    I downloaded the Live CD successfully, and did a MD5 check, which was all OK.
    When you say "all OK", does that mean you compared the md5sum from typing: 'md5sum some-downloaded-file.iso' against the md5sum in the md5 file on the web site, and they were the same?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    When you say "all OK", does that mean you compared the md5sum from typing: 'md5sum some-downloaded-file.iso' against the md5sum in the md5 file on the web site, and they were the same?
    Yes.

But when I do a media check from the created CD, it says that the MD5 sums do not match, and it does not load properly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlyn View Post
    But when I do a media check from the created CD, it says that the MD5 sums do not match, and it does not load properly.
    What media are you burning to? RW? R+ ? R- ? I don't recommend RW. Have you tried burning the CD from a different PC ? How old is your CD reader? Your CD writer?

Thanks for your support as usual, OldCPU. I really am most grateful.

I've done some more investigations. If I calculate the MD5sum on the downloaded ISO file (md5sum some-download-file.iso_) I get a figure which exactly matches th one on the web-site, BUT if I use Yast>Media Check>Check ISO, I get the message "MD5 sums does not match". So, it looks like a corrupted download. I used aria2.

Anyway, I'l have another go at downloading.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

No. The downloaded iso is OK, since you get the exact md5 sum. Since the burnt media are not OK, the iso does not get burnt correctly to disk. Try burning it with option TAO and a lower burning speed.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    No. The downloaded iso is OK, since you get the exact md5 sum.
    It is always difficult to tell a user's Linux knowledge level.

Over the past 5 years of trying to provide Linux support, I can think of over 1/2 dozen occasions, where a user ran the md5sum against an ISO file, and considered that was the "check" (but did not compare the sum/number with the web posted md5sum).

The mistaken belief of these users was that if a sum was produced, that mean the ISO was ok. ... Of course, nothing could be further from the truth, but they simply did not know.

Hence I now do not assume users (who I do not know) understand what it means to do an md5sum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast