smbmount suddenly stopped working.

I have set to mount some remote ntfs drives automatically on booting up using smbfstab. This has been working fine for weeks.

Yesterday and today when booting up, the drives were not mounted. It tried mounting them from CLI but get a message back saying smbmount command could not be found.

What’s going on? smbfs service is running as is samba client as I can browse the drives through the network.

Have a read of this guide:

Samba: HowTo Mount a CIFS Network Share [AKA Map Network Drive] in openSUSE 10 & 11 plus FAQs

Maybe you’re using a deprecated samba file system command. Sorry in advance if I’m on the wrong track here.

What are the line/s in smbfstab that used to mount the drives?

Well after about an hour the remote drives suddenly became available. I don’t know what happened. Perhaps the network wasn’t up properly at the time the mount was attempted.

I have now added the _netdev option to delay the mount attempt in case the network is not up properly before the mount is attempted and will see what happens.

It was:

//192.168.1.11/Data\ I            /windows/DataI       cifs    username=user\040name,password=password,_netdev,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=0022

//192.168.1.11/Data\ II           /windows/DataII      cifs    username=user\040name,password=password,_netdev,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=0022

Now changed to: (which includes the _netdev)

//192.168.1.11/Data\ I            /windows/DataI       cifs    username=user\040name,password=password,_netdev,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=0022

//192.168.1.11/Data\ II           /windows/DataII      cifs    username=user\040name,password=password,_netdev,uid=1000,gid=100,umask=0022

OK, I just rebooted and the smb mounts are not happening again. I checked the smbfs service and it’s running although it has an asterisk next to it (i.e. YES*) . Does that mean anything?

I don’t remember doing anything that will have affected the smb mounts.

Yes means it’s set to run and is running. Yes* means it’s set to run but it isn’t running.

I can’t get smbfs to run in my openSUSE. It’s a bug and you should report it as a failure of smbfs in Yast’s runlevel widget.

The workaround is described in the tutorial deano_ferrari listed for you. When the cifs mounting software is broken in openSUSE, you can put the lines you quoted into fstab and run the command “mount -a” (as root) about 10 seconds after the computer boots by putting the command into a root crontable.

OK, I’ll try that. Strange it has been working so well before though.