Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to locate buildservices-drivers in webcam repo !

Unhappy Unable to locate buildservices-drivers in webcam repo !

I am unable to locate the 'buildservice-drivers' package in the webcam repo (/repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.1). I have got this repo in Enabled & Autorefresh mode and at 99 priority.

I reinstalled openSuse 11.1 recently and before i started the reinstallation process i had documented the packages from various repos clearly. Before the reinstall 'buildservice-drivers' came from the webcam repo. Now i don't seem to get it. I have even switched over my installation UI to qt and searched for the package ; but no success. Am i not searching in the right repo or this package has moved to some other repo now!?

My webcam is not working properly and i reckon it's because this package is missing. It used to work fine earlier.

Please help !!

Unhappy Re: Unable to locate buildservices-drivers in webcam repo !

Ok let me restate my problem. I just found that i am unable to view my webcam through Cheese but i am able to see everything when i use aMSN. And yes, i am not trying to use both together. This is starting to get frustrating now.

Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to locate buildservices-drivers in webcam repo !

There is a page on Webcams here:
    HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE

The repo you are after is here I think: Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.1
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I am going to try preload as proposed in the HCL/Web Cameras link. I already have libv4l from packman.
    Webcam works fine for aMSN but not for Cheese or Skype.

Smile Re: Unable to locate buildservices-drivers in webcam repo !

Ok this is what i did.
    > followed caf's advice (he has been my savior during my intoduction to openSuse) on HCL/webcam at HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE
    > got the point on LD_PRELOAD over there
    > just that didn't work; so i did the following
    Create a new file: /usr/local/bin/skype using touch command. Put the following into the file

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype
    You will need to make it executable.

Code:
    sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype
    > Skype webcam was up and running- i still need to test it on a real call though

> My Cheese did not show anything on cam either. So i did exactly the same as above ; but replaced all "skype" with "cheese" and i was all set

> I could not follow instructions "If this works for you, you can add the LD_PRELOAD-command to the startup command of your menu entry/desktop shortcut via menu editor or with right-clicking the desktop icon => properties => application => command respectively." at HCL/Web Cameras - openSUSE and add something to the command of the desktop shortcut - probably someone can help me there so that i can avoid the above 2 files.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I was much help really. I have never used a webcam. The instruction to edit the launcher on the desktop: Is like this shot, edit the highlighted area for the application launch Command
    Tumbleweed_KDE

I use GNOME and only have - Basic, Emblems, Permissions & Notes tabs. No application tab per your screenshot.
    I right clicked on my desktop shortcut and did properties. Am i missing something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddas4 View Post
    I use GNOME and only have - Basic, Emblems, Permissions & Notes tabs. No application tab per your screenshot.
    I right clicked on my desktop shortcut and did properties. Am i missing something?
    Odd. I can't say for sure, because I don't have gnome. You are doing it the correct way. Try the Menu Editor route
    Right click Menu - Editor
    Navigate to the Application
    You can add the info this way too.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

I managed to locate the application dropdown (it's a dropdown on properties of the shortcut) and inserted the command "#!/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype" but it says "Could not launch application. Failed to execute child process "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" (No such file or directory)".

Then i tried inserting the command "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype" without the bash part ; but same error.

Blog Entries

Have you installed video for linux? (v4l)

If you type: skype in a terminal, does skype start?
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast