Compaq CQ40-304TU Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series

Hi,

I lately installed OpenSUSE 11.1, managed to got Sound, Eth & Wlan working, thanks to moderators who helped me out in making it possible :slight_smile:

Now the problem is for graphics,

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

but when i open my computer it shows Display Info as

Vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Model: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset 20080716 x86/MMX/SSE2
Driver: 1.4 Mesa 7.2

It gives problem when i enable effects like for minimizing maximizing it doesnt show any effect but start hanging…

Plus when suse boot up it gives strange kind of screen…

like it used to show in older pc, if you configure your vga on higher pixel than your vga card is able to handle… and in few seconds it becomes normal.

Is it possible to install the exact driver to avoid this strange things happening, or any another solution.

For the info: i am not using default kernal but PAE, as i have 4GB of memory.

Your advise would be highly appricated.

First, what graphics card is in this system?. if it is nvidia you can get the drivers from the repositories, the same goes for ATI wich also has a repository for updates.

I think shiraz_tharani noted their PC’s graphics are:

I recall openSUSE-11.1 was shipped in a state that many Intel Graphics cards had problems. In order to get the graphics to function better, it was necessary to apply all the recent sax2 (and some other) updates from the Official Novell/SuSE-GmbH Update directory for 11.1.

Did you apply the updates?

It’s Intel @TKS1125

That 1.4 Mesa 7.2
Is the best you will do. I have it with my Intel and it’s awesome.

Maybe something else is at issue.

Crossover there with @oldcpu - Sorry.

Perhaps keep your effects to those that don’t cause issues. Maybe I’m just lucky with mine.
Sometimes strange graphics can display at login (Just ignore it) I did have this in the past, but it doesn’t happen any more.

Might check you don’t have beagle installed, if that’s running it will cause problems.

Ummm… I am not using any effects yet… I tried but it didn’t work as i expected so i turned it off again…

Will check the beagle now…

Besides, i am thinking to install a fresh copy again ^o) Not because of graphics card, but i think i have messed alot of things…

Don’t know if it’s a good idea or a bad onE…

Advise Please…

No need to re-install.
The driver being used as you quote is good and is as good as you will get.
You can read about the Mesa project here
Mesa Home Page

The end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf should look like this:

Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “on”
EndSection

Does it in your case?

If you think you messed up other things, a reinstall won’t harm (you can learn from installing and reading), then again I don’t see the need from what’s in this post.

Just a slightly different… there is a “.” between composite and on

it’s like…

“Composite”. “on”

Yes it is installed and running, can see it sometime on firefox, indexing bla bla bla :smiley:

how do i disable it.

Plus the graphics is worst; like if i am checking my mails, if it’s just an text mail it’s okay… but if there are image files and i scroll it down… it goes like there isnt any graphics it hangs alot… not actually hang but go down very slowly… like something is stopping it for a second and letting it go for another second then again stopping it :s not sure if i am clear enough to make you understand the situation :s

Seriously we gotta do something about it…

see how the graphics can get…

its even worse when i boot up…

those small lines are all on the screen… can even see a single thing :frowning:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6843/86206967.png

Help Please :smiley:

After uninstalling beagle complete from system… the graphics are perfect :wink:

still have those lines problem at start up… but i can live with that :smiley:

Thanks guys for the help and advise :slight_smile:

Happy to hear things are better for you