Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no, not again, KDE vs Gnome!

Default Oh no, not again, KDE vs Gnome!

So having a little look at openfate I stumbled across https://features.opensuse.org/306967

This then led me to openSUSE Mailinglist Archives: opensuse-project - by thread Crikey how many threads based around it well after reading the top one...

Initially I sort of thought yeah I can sort of see that, KDE is the preferred. But... The more I read, points raised..

1) Preference to Gnome due to placement WTF
    A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I..J..K
    2) Gnome is the Favourite Child (Mmm Mummy luvs you more than me)
    3) We don't give choices for text editor, Browser etc..etc.. Relatively valid..
    4) New users don't know which DE to choose. (Mmm we seem to be seeing more and more people using the cd installs which decide the DE)

It was like watching 2 toddlers fighting over who had the better toy. The whole discussion seems to be based around "New Linux Users". Which would seem to be a relatively small market going on the survey from last year and also presumes they've not seen linux or the 2 main DE's, and are using the DVD not the livecd.

The biggest problem in take up of new users is that many on other distro's do not favour Suse. Now this seems to be based on several things, prominently seems to be updates break the system. Proof in the pudding every time there is a new kernel update appears a thread all works fine here like we expect it to break. Then due to politics Suse does not enable easy install of multimedia playback or prop drivers at install like some other distro's. So talking about making DE choices for the new user is really missing the common complaints new users have.

My solution stick Other at the top but then they'll be some debate on who should go next.

By the end of it I was left feeling well the pic says it better than I could...
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Default Re: Oh no, not again, KDE vs Gnome!

Here we goooo agaiiinn... Well ok, I won't use that horrible Eurodance hit from the 90s as an example.

I find it immensely humorous that the whole discussion still goes on and on after years. I originally suggested that GNOME should be tossed, the opinion hasn't changed since.

You must mean this? thank goodness I missed that the first time around that hurt my ears.

YouTube - PORTRAIT-HERE WE GO AGAIN

Edit
    Mmm maybe not thats R&B and not European...

Personally I think they should read it all back from an outsiders point of view ignoring there own preferences for DE. I would agree but then I've also never really been a fan of Gnome.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Snap, I remembered incorrectly - it was "Here I go again" (from E-type) instead of we.

I suggest you don't youtube for it, your IQ will drop several points.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Here we goooo agaiiinn... Well ok, I won't use that horrible Eurodance hit from the 90s as an example.

I find it immensely humorous that the whole discussion still goes on and on after years. I originally suggested that GNOME should be tossed, the opinion hasn't changed since.
    that won't be easy as two of the three founding GNOME zealots (Miguel "ZOMG, MS software and programming languages FTW! .NET pwnes ya all" de Crapcaza and Nat "I'm teh nephew of Brad Dourif" Friedman) work for Novell and thus Novell is biased towards it. There's lots of lobbying from them on the inside

Yesterday I was reading a thread published in the recently announced openSUSE Weekly News. It was started by Zonker and was all about making KDE the default at install, with a strong commitment to become KDE distro once again. Zonker was against the author of the openFate request, and with others joining in, it was heating up with some good points on both sides.

Unfortunately I cannot provide reference to it since:
    Error establishing a database connection
    Maybe it was pulled. Novell wouldn't have liked it for sure.

My views changed with the counter arguments. On balance, and for the sake of the distro, sidelining gnome would be brave but also the smart marketing strategy. It would bring focus to the obvious weakness resulting from battling on too many fronts. Now where have I come across that in the history of 20C?

69_rs_ss NNTP User

consused wrote:
    > Yesterday I was reading a thread published in the recently announced
    > openSUSE Weekly News. It was started by Zonker and was all about making
    > KDE the default at install, with a strong commitment to become KDE
    > distro once again. Zonker was against the author of the openFate
    > request, and with others joining in, it was heating up with some good
    > points on both sides.
    >
    > Unfortunately I cannot provide reference to it since: > Error establishing a database connection
    > Maybe it was pulled. Novell wouldn't have liked it for sure.
    >
    > My views changed with the counter arguments. On balance, and for the
    > sake of the distro, sidelining gnome would be brave but also the smart
    > marketing strategy. It would bring focus to the obvious weakness
    > resulting from battling on too many fronts. Now where have I come across
    > that in the history of 20C?
    >
    >

Would this be the article?
    http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2009...fault-desktop/

Unable to edit (time expired message complete with strange language at the bottom), even though the button was available (**** time waster!!!)

So the link to the Weekly News article about this subject is restored here

It's possibly a bit more grown-up than the other thread, going by FeatherMonkey's summary.

Quote Originally Posted by 69_rs_ss View Post
    consused wrote:
    > Yesterday I was reading a thread published in the recently announced
    > openSUSE Weekly News. It was started by Zonker and was all about making
    > KDE the default at install, with a strong commitment to become KDE
    > distro once again. Zonker was against the author of the openFate
    > request, and with others joining in, it was heating up with some good
    > points on both sides.
    >
    > Unfortunately I cannot provide reference to it since: > Error establishing a database connection
    > Maybe it was pulled. Novell wouldn't have liked it for sure.
    >
    > My views changed with the counter arguments. On balance, and for the
    > sake of the distro, sidelining gnome would be brave but also the smart
    > marketing strategy. It would bring focus to the obvious weakness
    > resulting from battling on too many fronts. Now where have I come across
    > that in the history of 20C?
    >
    >

Would this be the article?
    http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2009...fault-desktop/
    Yes, my last post crossed with yours, but please note the first line of mine and see ref to another piece of language debris.

Not really none of them give a strong reason for doing it like you I was swayed for a moment... Then I though wtf this actually is going to make sod all difference.

What a bit of sugar to make the kde devs feel loved after being chopped to bits.. Mmm how about re-employing them. Then the counter argument going to lose Gnome devs err what! when Sled/Sles afaik as I know is still very gnome centric.

Its confusing for the newbie! What and having the livecd boot to black screen isn't, or sticking a dvd in and it doesn't play or trying to use KDE with out updating xine or adding some other gstreamer plugin to play MP3 isn't, or trying to get some wireless which needs a prop driver isn't etc.etc.

Seriously they need to consider they're priorities and dragging up the old gnome and KDE argument is not where they lie. 11.* seriously has not been received in the most favourable light and changing some default setting isn't going to change that.

I started with 9.3 and TBH that is what Suse was to me and should be now it was dependable, no perhaps it wasn't the latest but it worked. It didn't feel like some test distro, some people actually pay for Opensuse, so all these arguments its free don't hold much it also is supposed to be semi-commercial.

This is so few people we're talking about the survey came back with 6% that is new users, then of them you have to equate to DVD installs then add not seen a linux DE or either of KDE or Gnome this figure is minuscule.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast