Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate NVIDIA...

Default I hate NVIDIA...

... because I have a NVIDIA card (8600GTS) and NVIDIA binary drivers for Linux are way behind their Windows drivers. No RandR 1.2 support three years after it was first promised, leaving video capabilities under Linux YEARS behind Windows. Dual monitors, one rotated, single desktop and 3D acceleration? Easypeasy in Windows, IMPOSSIBLE under Linux!

Default Re: I hate NVIDIA...

pfft! Change to ATI, you will start to love Nvidia!
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

gminnerup wrote:
    > .. because I have a NVIDIA card (8600GTS) and NVIDIA binary drivers for
    > Linux are way behind their Windows drivers. No RandR 1.2 support three
    > years after it was first promised, leaving video capabilities under
    > Linux YEARS behind Windows. Dual monitors, one rotated, single desktop
    > and 3D acceleration? Easypeasy in Windows, IMPOSSIBLE under Linux!

Ah... the wonders of CLOSED SOURCE!!

In all fairness, Nvidia is not required to release ANYTHING for anyone... even Windows if they so choose. The fact that there is a small group at
    Nvidia releasing drivers for Linux is fortunate, but lack of open source means it can never be ideal.

I do agree... Nvidia doesn't take Linux seriously. It's just a hobby for them. If (and it's a BIG if) the AMD FOSS drivers start doing something
    wonderful, it might force Nvidia to take a stronger stance with regards to Linux drivers and FOSS. The reason I say "if" is that AMD has a horrible
    habit of making sure every release of their GPUs is strangely different from the last... resulting in incompatibility (thus, AMD is not exactly a
    "friend" either, they're just stupid?).

If you don't need the high-end 3d acceleration, Intel might be better in some cases... and they at least care somewhat about Linux and FOSS.

Blog Entries

leaving video capabilities under Linux YEARS behind Windows
    I don't see this at all. In fact I was just playing Tomb Raider Anniversary under 'Wine' on my F10 Box. Guess what - It actually runs better in than in Windblows!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by gminnerup View Post
    ... because I have a NVIDIA card (8600GTS) and NVIDIA binary drivers for Linux are way behind their Windows drivers. No RandR 1.2 support three years after it was first promised, leaving video capabilities under Linux YEARS behind Windows. Dual monitors, one rotated, single desktop and 3D acceleration? Easypeasy in Windows, IMPOSSIBLE under Linux!

I am using an Nvidia 8500GS and I am not sure what you mean. There is 3D acceleration. I can and have set up duel monitors, not hard at all to do with nvidia-settings (Running as root and saved as root.) I do not see it as years behind at all. I am running World of Warcraft (under wine.) and Enemy Territory Quake Wars (Linux version) and many other 3D games without any video issues at all.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    I am using an Nvidia 8500GS and I am not sure what you mean. There is 3D acceleration. I can and have set up duel monitors, not hard at all to do with nvidia-settings (Running as root and saved as root.) I do not see it as years behind at all. I am running World of Warcraft (under wine.) and Enemy Territory Quake Wars (Linux version) and many other 3D games without any video issues at all.
    I'm also playing WoW under wine about 2 years without any problem, and after experimenting with both cards (ATI/nvidia) I had no problems at all with nvidia cards - in gaming. Setting up any game with ATI cards was a nightmare (and for WoW it was totally impossible).
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

... I am running World of Warcraft (under wine.) and Enemy Territory Quake Wars (Linux version) and many other 3D games without any video issues at all.
    I haven't had any luck with WotLK 3.0.9 (or above) with Nvidia or ATI cards in Crossover or Wine. Actually... I haven't had any luck with WotLK 3.0.9 after I had to start running dual monitors. Other Linux games don't seem to have issues. I can run WOW classic without issues.

I think I've messed up my audio drives some how. I don't know if that would seriously effect the performance of wine, crossover, or winex. Regardless I'd like to blame Blizzard first and then myself and then I'll blame ATI and Nvidia.

Nvidia still bite monkey buttocks. I just threw away a dead ASUS Nvidia video card; a 7600 series. OH Well... surprise surprise! Hopefully Nvidia will just die and Intel will buy up it's useful technology.

I'm moving slowly to ATI even if I have to play musical drivers to find the one that works with the hardware mix I'm using.
    " If you don't play a sport, be one! " Quote from: Max Jackson

* cjcox wrote, On 08/04/2009 05:27 PM:
    > In all fairness, Nvidia is not required to release ANYTHING for anyone... even Windows if they so choose. The fact that there is a small group at
    > Nvidia releasing drivers for Linux is fortunate, but lack of open source means it can never be ideal.

In my experience, the opener the soure, the crappier the driver. I never managed to get Google Earth to work with my Intel video chipset, ATI drivers are a complete mess, NVidia works.
    Just my 2ct

Uwe

I do not see it as years behind at all.
    Well what should happen is ; You plug in the DVI and that's it, the external device should be auto-configured with optimal resolution and refresh rate without you having to do a **** thing.

Also Win7 introduced non-reboot-non-restart display adapter loading so you can effectively switch display adapter drivers on the fly without rebooting at all.

Its pretty hectic sometimes when there is no formidable competitor to keep you on toes and that's the case for nVidia on Linux platform. If you try ATI cards then you will flash them down the drain even on Windows platform. It seems the more open ended the drivers are a times the worser they perform. My only hope is for Intel and AMD to pull up there socks which cannot be guaranteed in the near future

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast