Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FireFox privacy mode not so private...

Exclamation FireFox privacy mode not so private...

Flash plugin leaves traces of loaded flash files in:

/home/user/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

In there Flash creates directories named as the domain from where the flashlet came, inside which is what appears to be settings for the flashlet.

I don't know if this is a "bug" in FireFox, or simply feature FF cannot prevent.

FireFox 3.5.2-1.1 x86_64
    Flash 10.0 r22
    OpenSuse 11.1 x86_64

Default Re: FireFox privacy mode not so private...

You have to set up privacy rules in flash. You can do this on the adobe website. The application itself is flash again. You set: amount of data applications can leave on the pc to 0. That should be fine.
    Anyway privoxy itself is not a privacy warranty. You should use privoxy without squid, plus tor. You should also consider the use of noscript. You will then set: empty all cookies on exit of program. And things should become a bit better.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

By the way, i noticed you use the alpha flash plugin There was recently an update Check it out
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Blog Entries

Plugin privacy policy is not governed by FF.

And for those thinking of anonymous surfing, FF (and for that matter, Chrome) privacy mode just means no history and no cookies retained. Your IP address and pages visited are still recorded by the sites you visit. Not surprising when you think about it, but may not be clear to all.

@ken

At least google-chrome warns about that. FF doesn't say anything about the "server side".

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Blog Entries

It's just not explained in the browser itself, but on the web:

Private Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    @ken

At least google-chrome warns about that. FF doesn't say anything about the "server side".
    @bender: wouldn't this be a good moment to underline the usefulness of tor with privoxy?
    The consciousness of the hight level of "profiling" that is currently going on seems to be too low.
    Btw, as I did not follow up: is google-chrome now out of beta? In the beginning I recall some major pitfalls with privacy. Maybe my memory betrays me.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

I don't know about the state of google-chrome, i have the 3.0.197 version from here

Index of /buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux

I got a script that downloads new version every hour so i'm pretty on time with that. First impressions? There are some quirks (can't import passwords from Firefox), BUT it start in a less than a second, is A LOT less memory hungry and faster. The good thing is that it isn't slower than the windows version, (yes, i'm looking at you firefox). The incognito mode in google-chrome explains what it's privacy mode does and what can't be done (server side logging etc.) I'm not that paranoid to use tor with privoxy I still live in a democratic country

By the way, linux version of google-chrome will have a bit more privacy since updates will have to be handled by the distro vendor and not by google itself so less data to be sent to google.

P.S. First cries about google-chrome privacy was just google's search suggestions, which is also present in firefox if you use google's search toolbar.

Yeah, I forgot about Flash privacy settings.... Not that I was expecting absolute privacy (which does not exist anyways), but I was kinda disappointed to realize that the Privacy mode is just a selective cleaner of cookies, history and page cache.

I wonder why would it be so difficult to implement complete sandboxing, not allowing the plugin process to touch the system, except through an API provided by the browser.

goldie NNTP User

perhaps something LIKE this in a run-during-logout script could be useful:

rm -fr ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

--
    goldie
    CAVEAT: The author of this posting does not warrant the accuracy,
    completeness, legality, or usefulness of its content and is not
    responsible for consequences resulting from its use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast