This is my xstartup script, but it doesn't work for gnome

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #twm &
    gnome-session &
    Alternatively, if someone knows how to setup tightvnc to start at the login screen/manager?

Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

Default Re: TightVNC and Gnome

I always run:
    vncviewer ipaddress:1
    From a terminal to start a graphic login and it always works. It defaults to the login user's theme settings for both kde and gnome sessions.

Blog Entries

This will do it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/gnome &
    Reference: TightVNC (VNC Xvnc) on openSUSE as Client or Server (Remote Desktop Connections)
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    I always run:
    vncviewer ipaddress:1
    From a terminal to start a graphic login and it always works. It defaults to the login user's theme settings for both kde and gnome sessions.
    Hi whych,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should of mentioned I'm trying to connect from a Windows XP laptop, so I'm using the TightVNC Viewer program to connect. I assume your referring to connecting from another Linux box.

So I can learn something new for future reference as I'm still a Linux newbie. When you say start a graphic login from a terminal, what do you mean and how do you do it?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    This will do it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/gnome &
    Reference: TightVNC (VNC Xvnc) on openSUSE as Client or Server (Remote Desktop Connections)
    Hi swerdna,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. All I get is a screen with a "snowy" like background.

Here are the last lines of the log file.

Code:
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/local, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/uni, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID, removing from list!
    Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".
    gnome-session[6245]: WARNING: Failed to acquire org.gnome.SessionManager
    gnome-session[6245]: ******************* START ********************************
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 0: /usr/bin/gnome-session [0x417217]
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 1: /usr/bin/gnome-session [0x417376]
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 2: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 [0x7f1249592a90]
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 3: /usr/bin/gnome-session [0x418ab9]
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 4: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7f1249249586]
    gnome-session[6245]: Frame 5: /usr/bin/gnome-session [0x40ab89]
    gnome-session[6245]: ******************* END **********************************
    Sorry, I should of mentioned I'm trying to connect with the TightVNC Viewer from a Windows XP laptop incase it makes a difference.

Also, TWM works so I know it's connecting OK.

David71
    In Linux, you simply open a terminal and type in the command.

If you have gnome or kde rdp installed on the linux box, you should be able to conect from windows using windows rdp. It's not installed by default and is hidden in one of the addon setup menus for windows under the remote desktop connections (if I remember correctly from when I last installed and used it).

In Linux, you simply open a terminal and type in the command.
    I understood the terminal part, I just don't know what the "graphic login" is, you were referring to.
    Did you mean the one when you enter the command
    Code:
    vncviewer
    If you have gnome or kde rdp installed on the linux box, you should be able to conect from windows using windows rdp. It's not installed by default and is hidden in one of the addon setup menus for windows under the remote desktop connections (if I remember correctly from when I last installed and used it).
    I tried RDP too. I installed the packages, rdesktop, xorg-x11-server-dmx, xorg-x11-server-rdp and xrdp, but was unable to connect.
    I kept getting "rdpx11 channel not present"

David
    The vncviewer command opens a remote desktop connection to the linux/windows box and gives you your xwindow graphic desktop login prompt, etc.

For the windows>linux:
    Have you set the rdp connection in windows to connect to the correct port on the linux box? Also check that the port in the linux firewall is not closed. You need to do a search to find the default port number. The windows rdp connector asks for a port number as well I think.
    You should be able to get the vncviewer to connect from the linux box to windows.
    Sorry, I don't have a windows box, so I can't check for you.

For the windows>linux:
    Have you set the rdp connection in windows to connect to the correct port on the linux box? Also check that the port in the linux firewall is not closed. You need to do a search to find the default port number. The windows rdp connector asks for a port number as well I think.
    Yes, I set up and tried RDP on both computers too. I opened port 3389 in the firewalls on both and even shutdown the firewalls just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I get the openSUSE login and it starts to connect then stops and says
    "rdpx11 channel is not present".

I've got it working with TightVNC and the TWM(Tab Window Manager) which is OK for occasionally using my box remotely, but I would prefer to use my regular Gnome desktop unless it proves too slow with VNC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david71 View Post
    Hi swerdna,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. All I get is a screen with a "snowy" like background.
    It's changed since I wrote the tutorial I referred you to.

There's been a change presumably by the developers. The command to start vncserver in Gnome in openSUSE 11.1 is now this:
    Code:
    dbus-launch vncserver
    and also please upgrade the tightvnc RPM to this version: tightvnc-1.3.9-90.pm.1, which is in the Packman repository.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast